"The Toilet Bowl" Browns at Bears Game Thread

adam

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. So we would have glennon at qb and a mediocre record and be wondering how are we ever going to get a QB. No thanks...I’ll take the shot at Trubisky. Bout time we had a gm with the courage to go get the guy he wanted to be our franchise QB.

No. I didn't like the Glennon pick. Also, I wanted to trade down a bunch. And with all the talk about Cleveland wanting to deal, the Bears could have dropped from #3 to #12 and taken multiple picks from them. Then at #12 the Bears would have picked Deshaun Watson, and had extra draft picks.

No. I didn't like the Glennon pick. Also, I wanted to trade down a bunch. And with all the talk about Cleveland wanting to deal, the Bears could have dropped from #3 to #12 and taken multiple picks from them. Then at #12 the Bears would have picked Deshaun Watson, and had extra draft picks.

Cleveland wanted to trade down and accumulate picks. No way were they moving up in the draft.

Peace :dabears

Cleveland wanted to trade down and accumulate picks. No way were they moving up in the draft.

Peace :dabears

I just picked that spot because it's where Watson went. I wanted trade down, period. Again, we shall see what happens. It all hinges on Trubisky. Any perceived mistakes in terms of draft strategy can be ignored if Trubisky turns out.

Sure would be nice if we didn't trade down and Pace looked like he panicked, but it looks like we have a legit QB in the makings. I liked Watson too and think he will resemble Russell Wilson as time goes on. If Trubisky ends up being Aaron Rodgers or Drew Bees, it works out like you say. Glennon didn't work out, but he played a good locker room role. I don't think the offense we tried to use him in suited him the best.

Sure would be nice if we didn't trade down and Pace looked like he panicked, but it looks like we have a legit QB in the makings. I liked Watson too and think he will resemble Russell Wilson as time goes on. If Trubisky ends up being Aaron Rodgers or Drew Bees, it works out like you say. Glennon didn't work out, but he played a good locker room role. I don't think the offense we tried to use him in suited him the best.

Glennon is a pure pocket passer. Needs a strong solid oline to work...and reliable receivers. I think with the mix of second tier WRs and unpredictable oline play, Glennon was doomed from the get-go. Great locker room presence like you said. No doubt.

I was chuckling when I heard the announcers today say that Trubisky resembled Rodgers. I actually had thought the same thing a few weeks ago. He is athletic and mobile where he can throw on the run. But I’ve also seen some Cutler like moves too - but feel that could work itself out in an off season or two. I don’t think those mistakes are a career type thing like they were for Cutler. If it is, it’s way too early to tell right now.

IT is easy to wish that now that we know the draft, but Watson was expected to be the first QB taken, so no one had any idea of how the draft would fall. Pace wanted MT and I suspect he would not have been there at 12 either.

It is what it is and we have to look forward, woulda coulda shoulda just doesnt matter.

IT is easy to wish that now that we know the draft, but Watson was expected to be the first QB taken, so no one had any idea of how the draft would fall. Pace wanted MT and I suspect he would not have been there at 12 either.

It is what it is and we have to look forward, woulda coulda shoulda just doesnt matter.

Isn't this the second knee injury for Watson? No injury history for Trubisky. Let's let this play out for a minute...

In my fictitious world where I’m the GM, I’d never put all my eggs in one basket. There were dozens of realistic permutations that were mentioned on this board by various members that would have been acceptable. I hope MT turns out to be a HOF QB, but percentages say it’s not likely.

Isn't this the second knee injury for Watson? No injury history for Trubisky. Let's let this play out for a minute...

Yep, tore ACL in 2014 and now in 2017. Eventually, that is going to limit your mobility, which is his greatest strength. I still like him, but he seems more boom/bust than Trubisky.

In my fictitious world where I’m the GM, I’d never put all my eggs in one basket. There were dozens of realistic permutations that were mentioned on this board by various members that would have been acceptable. I hope MT turns out to be a HOF QB, but percentages say it’s not likely.

I like speculation to but its the hand we have been dealt and you never can tell until year 3 or 4. Look at Clowney for example, he had a bad first year and is now flourishing in his third year.

The most important decision this season will be who gets the HC job , that will define the development of MT.

Pace makes lots of mistakes but he has drafted our core along the way, so I suspect he fills our needs, OT,WR and OLB. Still need some more CBs and depth but seems to be headed the right direction.

RBs- we now have one of the better backfields in the NFL.

QB- potential can be seen.

TEs- I personally think Shaheen will be a probowl type, you cant teach size and athleticism and he has both. Also I think Sims will be better used as a threat once we solidify the OLine so he can get away from his blocking role.

OL- IF Kyle stays healthy, Whitehair is a solid buliding block. The key this season will be upgrading the OT spots. Remember last year we went after Wagner but didnt want to match the money(stupid decision)

WR- total upgrade

The defensive side is in good shape with the addition of another pass rusher and cornerbacks.

I like speculation to but its the hand we have been dealt and you never can tell until year 3 or 4. Look at Clowney for example, he had a bad first year and is now flourishing in his third year.

The most important decision this season will be who gets the HC job , that will define the development of MT.

Pace makes lots of mistakes but he has drafted our core along the way, so I suspect he fills our needs, OT,WR and OLB. Still need some more CBs and depth but seems to be headed the right direction.

RBs- we now have one of the better backfields in the NFL.

QB- potential can be seen.

TEs- I personally think Shaheen will be a probowl type, you cant teach size and athleticism and he has both. Also I think Sims will be better used as a threat once we solidify the OLine so he can get away from his blocking role.

OL- IF Kyle stays healthy, Whitehair is a solid buliding block. The key this season will be upgrading the OT spots. Remember last year we went after Wagner but didnt want to match the money(stupid decision)

WR- total upgrade

The defensive side is in good shape with the addition of another pass rusher and cornerbacks.

How many years have we been saying this??????

I don't understand the love for Ricky Wagner as the highest paid RT in the NFL.

He is actually making less than Massie. Massie made a little over 6 mil this year, Wagner made 5.9

Next year Massie can be cut with a .5 mil dead money but his contract calls for 6.2 mil. , Wagners will be 5.9

The next 3 years Wagner will be making 11.5 a year, This will be high, but if he plays at a pro bowl level, that would have been acceptable in my opinion. He is 28 right now, so will not be over the hill.

Also, in two years, i am sure the salary will be higher for a pro bowl level type RT than this year.

His last year has an out of 2.8 mil so if his play dropped off would have been an acceptable out.

I think that would have been an acceptable signing considering the plans to draft a QB this year. It would have solidified the line considering the injury problems at the guard position.

I think by the design of the contract, that Pace would have front loaded the contract so by the third year we could have had an out. I would say the overall money would have been similar but the G. money was the difference.

This year he is rated the 4th best RT by PFF if that trips your trigger.

I think this would have been a good signing.

In comparison to Lenos contract, the last three years of his contract will be paying him a little less than 2 mil a year, for a very average LT. The difference is we Pace has an out after 2018.

How many years have we been saying this??????

Roughly ten years per my signature line. There was one year, the Super Bowl year, where things worked out well, but otherwise the OL has been one of the most neglected aspects of the entire team. And when it has been addressed, there have been multiple big misses.

Roughly ten years per my signature line. There was one year, the Super Bowl year, where things worked out well, but otherwise the OL has been one of the most neglected aspects of the entire team. And when it has been addressed, there have been multiple big misses.

Its freakin sad....... You are right the SB year the OLine played well. Other then that its been weak. They have tried but failed. Hopefully Pace finally figures it out.

As you know I concentrate more on the skill positions and in this case specifically the QB spot. In that same timeframe (2007-present) there have been 13 QBs that started for the team. Is that due to poor oline play or poor QB selection and production?

As you know I concentrate more on the skill positions and in this case specifically the QB spot. In that same timeframe (2007-present) there have been 13 QBs that started for the team. Is that due to poor oline play or poor QB selection and production?

I think it's a little of both. But I'm firmly convinced that the atrocious OL turned Jay Cutler into a shell of what he was, and what he could have been.

BTW - It's also due to lots of coaching staff changes.

**edit**

The fact that Cutler had to scramble so much was because of the bad OL play, and has been pointed out many many times in interviews and analysis. It completely changed who he was as a QB, his internal clock, and his trust of an offensive system.