Schefter: Roquan Smith was not himself at practice

DABEARSDABOMB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta hand it to Nagy (and Pace).  But in today’s society where all the Schefters and Rappaports and the wanna-bes are out there to get the first big ‘scoop’ and not yield to that pressure is commendable . Especially if Roquan is dealing with something that he truly needs personal time to deal with; this plays into the ‘family first’ mentality that Nagy has instilled in the team.  He will gain immeasurable trust and respect from the team for doing so. 

and also for not starting him out of fear that we need him.

Nagy is awesome. I do hope Roquan is OK. I wont guess at what any of this means, I can imagine scenarios where Id be very sympathetic to him, and others where Id think he was a total jerk.

But whatever it is, I hope he heals quickly, and returns to being a happy person for himself and a great LB for us.

I hope the kid can address whatever he has going on and come back at 100%. 

I really thought it was related to the jerseys and he was against wearing them (which would be a problem later in the year as well) but he is shown wearing them in one of the practice photos. 

Really odd to say the least.

I was wondering if it is related to Mike Davis who was also held out for personal reasons but they announced he was dealing with a death in the family.

It feels like maybe he was talking back to coaches. I have NO information. That's just what for me fits the data most likely. But Im just making that up, there is no evidence whatsoever.

Or maybe he got in trouble with the law. Drinking, fighting, I dunno.

Ok, making up stories off the top of my head:

Maybe he was out at dinner or something and someone called him a bad word and he hit them, and then told the team about it and was honest. Maybe they dont know if the police will file charges yet.

I mean, Im not trying to guess here, Im just trying to sort of define the universe of things it's probably in.

I could guess that he was running around naked screaming that he was King George too, but it seems less likely LOL

For sure lets hope whatever it is everyone gets past it and Smith goes on to be happy, healthy and productive.

I have no desire to dislike the guy, or carry a grudge. I love the Bears, that's all.

But it was something, and sooner or later something will come out. And if Roquan was a jerk and out of control, that's kind of a personality trait of some great MLBers too. I doubt Dick Butkis was all please and thank you every time. It's cool if he has a nasty streak. But he'll have to keep it in perspective and no go Antonio Brown on us LOL

For now, its a small thing, and whatever it was, no matter how nasty, if it doesnt include police and it doesnt happen more as a pattern, we will all get past it of course.

I think it’s best not to speculate at this point. We don’t know what is going on or what happened. I do give Nagy credit for keeping what ever it is out of the media out of respect for Roquan. We really don’t need to know.  Just hope whatever it is he’s able to get past and sort it out. 

Im not speculating as in trying to guess exactly what happened (which is what speculating is) I was REALLY clear about not knowing.

I was investigating the space of possibilities that the information contains. Not picking a specific one to assume, but instead playing with what little we do know to at least put boundaries on what KIND of thing it is.

Anyway, it's national sports, and we are sports fans on a sports talk page all we DO is speculate LOL

The ‘erratic behavior’ described by some makes me wonder if he wasn’t having some sort of CTE related issue?  I really hope whatever it is it’s not health related.  He’s a great kid from what I’ve read and seen about him. 

If you remember last year when the Bears did the “Meet the Rookies” episode on him (linked below) he talked about where he learned the definition of hard work while working as a well drilling apprentice(?) and was spoken of highly by many people in his (very small) community. And if you remember right around the time he showed up to report to the Bears he had a bunch of stuff stolen from his car; to include some of his personal college memorabilia and a team issued iPad.  Reports at the time had him pretty despondent over it.  There was speculation at the time that he may have forgotten to lock the doors on his car (which would play more into his small town roots).  But based on all this and a few other articles out there it would seem really odd his being held out was for nefarious reasons.  

Why not assume it is something like the Chicago/Vegas mob demanding he play bad to help throw the game.  If he doesn't, they take a finger or worse.  So he is nervous all week, doesn't know what to do.  He speaks with the godfather, Pagano, and he says easy enough, we will not play you.  You did your part and should be free after...and don't worry I have an idea how to get your backup to look like a superstar.  

I think if it had something to do with an accident or some incident with the law that would be outed already. I think if it was a death in the family or of a friend that someone would have found that out to add to the story. A few things that it could be. Maybe it has something to do with a girlfriend? cheated on him or dumped him, a lot of guys let that effect him a lot. It could be something as simple as his parents getting divorced? (not sure if  that applies ) Maybe a brother was being outed as gay? (dont know if that applies) A lot of things can mess with someones mind these days, hard to speculate on (personal issues). From everything that was known about him coming out of college, he was a hard working stand up guy. A leader and stable so its going to be something coming out of left field. If it was some kind of attitude problem, I think we would have noticed it the preseason. 

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think if it had something to do with an accident or some incident with the law that would be outed already. I think if it was a death in the family or of a friend that someone would have found that out to add to the story. A few things that it could be. Maybe it has something to do with a girlfriend? cheated on him or dumped him, a lot of guys let that effect him a lot. It could be something as simple as his parents getting divorced? (not sure if  that applies ) Maybe a brother was being outed as gay? (dont know if that applies) A lot of things can mess with someones mind these days, hard to speculate on (personal issues). From everything that was known about him coming out of college, he was a hard working stand up guy. A leader and stable so its going to be something coming out of left field. If it was some kind of attitude problem, I think we would have noticed it the preseason. 

Good analysis, his head might not have been right for some reason.

And whatever it is, if it's a one off, and he's back to normal no one is going to care.

But it is fair to wonder if it's something that will hang around. Depression isn't really about whatever issue it is that's making it worse at that moment. It's usually an underlying condition and the issues that come along are just triggers. Eventually little things become big reasons if it isn't dealt with earlier.

Again, I think we all agree we all have no idea what it is.

But I think it's normal to wonder, and to hope that it isn't something that will be ongoing.

We all want to cheer for good Roquan, and we're all hoping, in different ways, that there isn't a bad Roquan that becomes any kind of issue.

It is natural to wonder in the absence of facts, whatever it is if it is depression, or a family issue, or other personal issue that's effecting him, I hope he's able to get the help he needs to work through it, for his own mental health, we've seen good players, talented players crumble under mental health and it's sad to see.  I do feel like he's in a good situation with good support from teammates, coaches, and an organization that cares about the well being of it's players.  I know none of us are making assumptions that it's this or that.  I'm glad that Nagy and Pace aren't betraying his trust if he's confided in them by not sharing details that the public doesn't need to know at this time.

As far as the team goes we have the depth to allow him time if he needs it to sort whatever it is out. He's done a lot to make up for the holdout, with his play on field and his enthusiasm up to this point so I think we're all ready to give him the benefit of the doubt.   We may never find out what led to his missed time but as long as he takes the time he needs to get things right and get back to playing at a high level, I'm good with it.  I know personally having dealt with bouts of depression the mind can go to dark places with little or no warning.  Having good support around you makes all the difference.  

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Maybe family or friends pressuring him for money? Maybe he is thinking if this worth it?  Telling them he would just walk away.  

The interesting part is he has been at Halas Hall everyday. I wonder if this is a real personal issue (LT health / family / friend, etc) and the Bears are essentially being there for him and making sure they provide a family environment and treat him right while he gets things situated (some of which includes the fact that being close to his teammates is something that can help him as he deals with whatever the situation is).  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

JD Dickerson is reporting that he is out indefinitely. I just hope whatever it is, Roquan can get himself in the right place.  

I really hope everything is OK with him.  I am fearing he could walk away from the game.  The Bears are doing the right thing by giving him space and protecting him. 

Peace

In a related tone, I hope Roquan stays healthy and is able to return ... when he’s ready.  But in the meantime it’s apparent that Kwiatkowskis time on the bench did him some good and sent him a clear message that the next time he was thrust into the limelight he was going to perform...and perform he did. 

Now time for Trubisky to take notes...

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

In a related tone, I hope Roquan stays healthy and is able to return ... when he’s ready.  But in the meantime it’s apparent that Kwiatkowskis time on the bench did him some good and sent him a clear message that the next time he was thrust into the limelight he was going to perform...and perform he did. 

Now time for Trubisky to take notes...

Did it also make him faster so he can cover routes over the middle?  Just wondering.  He did play a great game Sunday.

39 minutes ago, Bill said:

Did it also make him faster so he can cover routes over the middle?  Just wondering.  He did play a great game Sunday.

I think Pagano used him a little differently than Fangio did and it looked like it helped out. He was extremely effective and all over the place. With the Raiders liking to run the ball, Kwit fits in perfect with the game plan.