Schefter: Roquan Smith was not himself at practice

DABEARSDABOMB

10 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Another possibility is that they sat him out last week as some low level punishment or treatment, and they already know he's back and don't want to tell the Raiders.

I would be surprised if that was the case. At this point, it doesn't even matter what it is.

As Connor mentioned before, my only fear is that he retires. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, adam said:

I think Pagano used him a little differently than Fangio did and it looked like it helped out. He was extremely effective and all over the place. With the Raiders liking to run the ball, Kwit fits in perfect with the game plan.

Yes, I think you might be right.  They used a different scheme that hides his weakness.  And I'm in no way saying Im smart.  But Fangio is 0-4.  His two world class pass rushers were held to zero sacks till this week when they got five on a rookie QB

6 minutes ago, adam said:

As Connor mentioned before, my only fear is that he retires. 

Oh don't even think that. He is a franchise LB from the team that IS LBs.  Don't know what's up,  but let it sort out. This is a young man with a possible HOF future.  I think the Bears are handling this the right way.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yes, I think you might be right.  They used a different scheme that hides his weakness.  And I'm in no way saying Im smart.  But Fangio is 0-4.  His two world class pass rushers were held to zero sacks till this week when they got five on a rookie QB

Kwit is great with a gap/assignment and he actually looked pretty good in space. I think his only issue is staying with RBs/TEs in routes down the field. He seems to trail them and can't keep up. Either way, if Pagano maximizes his strengths, we will see another effective game out of him. 

You are right about Fangio, but I think that is more to do with the fact that he is better as a Coordinator than a HC. Some guys just can't make that jump. That's why it took Vic so long to get a HC gig and you have to think he is 1 and done in Denver the way they have played, especially on defense. Now on the sacks, some of that is on the actual players. You should be able to put Von Miller on the edge and just say go and he ends up with a sack a game. 

7 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

Oh don't even think that. He is a franchise LB from the team that IS LBs.  Don't know what's up,  but let it sort out. This is a young man with a possible HOF future.  I think the Bears are handling this the right way.

Trust me, I want Roquan locked in for the next decade on this team. I would love to keep this young nucleus together for the next 8-10 years and see them dominate the league as we plug and play with a mix of free agents and rookies. Smith is supposed to be a mainstay on this team so hopefully he can get thru whatever he is dealing with.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I think Pagano used him a little differently than Fangio did and it looked like it helped out. He was extremely effective and all over the place. With the Raiders liking to run the ball, Kwit fits in perfect with the game plan.

Yeah, I think you’re right.  Without looking at all the film it seemed that Kwit was playing a spy-like position with zone support.  Most of the time those Lbs are utilized for mobile QBs to keep them contained but tend to concentrate more on what is going on in the backfield.  I can’t remember last weeks d formations but if memory serves there was what looked like a four man front (although the base is 3-4) with two MLBs (Trevathan and Kwit) leaving a combination of 5 CBS, NB and safeties in the backfield.  In watching some highlights of Kwit he did trail a TE or crosser on a route or two but was backed up by a NB most times that being Skrine. I want to say it resembled more a zone defense in the middle to help support the mid range passes.  

But the times he was successful, especially later in the game, he was reacting to what he saw in the backfield...meaning he attacked the offensive backfield in a form of blitz or spy-like read.   

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

no doubt Pagano kept Kwit out of coverage as much as possible. And when it was unavoidable, it was Pierre-Louis in there.

I like Pagano a lot.

I noticed that too with KPL out there on 3rd and long situations.  He has more speed and flows to the ball much better outside the numbers.  Kwit as always in great between the numbers.  Play to your strengths.  

Kwit played well on the running game but I think Oak will scheme to test him in the passing game. Piere-Louis backed him up and played well, so I think we have the spot covered. If Smith is out indefinitely, that is not a good sign. If it was a legal issue, or a disciplinary issue, it would have been already defined. So this is a mental issue and that could take some time. 

8 minutes ago, adam said:

Roquan spoke to the media today and was a full go at practice. He said it was a personal issue and it is behind them now. It had to be the jersey.

9 minutes ago, adam said:

Roquan spoke to the media today and was a full go at practice. He said it was a personal issue and it is behind them now. It had to be the jersey.

Would seem to make some sense...  As long as he's ready to play and has no issues he needs medical/professional help  for...that's all I care.

6 minutes ago, madlithuanian said:

Would seem to make some sense...  As long as he's ready to play and has no issues he needs medical/professional help  for...that's all I care.

He said it is behind him and he is past the situation. He said "it already happened". The jersey is the only logical thing, which if that's the case, I am totally fine with him not wanting to wear it. That is probably why we heard reports about him not being himself last week in practice (while wearing the throwback), then he probably went to the staff and didn't feel comfortable wearing it in a game. We wear the same jerseys on December 5th, so we will see what happens then.

I am just glad he is past whatever he was going through. 

16 minutes ago, adam said:

He said it is behind him and he is past the situation. He said "it already happened". The jersey is the only logical thing, which if that's the case, I am totally fine with him not wanting to wear it. That is probably why we heard reports about him not being himself last week in practice (while wearing the throwback), then he probably went to the staff and didn't feel comfortable wearing it in a game. We wear the same jerseys on December 5th, so we will see what happens then.

I am just glad he is past whatever he was going through. 

Interesting on Dec 5th for sure...   That'll definitely be the tell tale sign.  DO you have a link to which jersey's are worn on what weekend?

2 hours ago, adam said:

Nah, I don’t buy it.  But really who knows...or cares?

As long as he’s ready and able to go (and healthy-emotionally and physically) that’s all that really matters.  It was painful to watch him weather the media storm of several reporters essentially asking the same question over and over and him having to repeat ‘it was a personal matter and it’s behind me’.  

Looking forward to you play Sunday Roquan. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Nah, I don’t buy it.  But really who knows...or cares?

As long as he’s ready and able to go (and healthy-emotionally and physically) that’s all that really matters.  It was painful to watch him weather the media storm of several reporters essentially asking the same question over and over and him having to repeat ‘it was a personal matter and it’s behind me’.  

Looking forward to you play Sunday Roquan. 

Yeah, if it is the uniform, we will find out in December when they wear it again. Otherwise, bring on the Raiders! 

1 hour ago, lemonej said:

...look at what is now being said.

I’m curious, was there more than what came out since yesterday?  I just saw a CBS report (as of an hour ago) that says Nagy has ‘declined to say whether Smith will suit up against the Raiders’.  Hmmm...

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bears-roquan-smith-status-for-week-5-uncertain/

It is interesting.  I don't think this saga is over yet with Matt Nagy declining to confirm that Smith will play.  Implies it is the coaching staff's decision vs. players.  This could also be Matt Nagy putting some gamesmanship out there, but I doubt it (as it will force more questions).  That said, I don't get why Bears would put Smith in front of the media yesterday, only to have the coach back track from it today.