Bears looking to trade up for QB

adam

I still think moving up to #10 would be enough to get one of the top 5 QBs. Will it be worth it? I think it would be if you only had to give up a 2022 2nd and a 2021 3rd (obviously including #20 in 2021). Like I said before, I think this scenario is highly likely because it essentially buys Pace/Nagy more time. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I still think moving up to #10 would be enough to get one of the top 5 QBs. Will it be worth it? I think it would be if you only had to give up a 2022 2nd and a 2021 3rd (obviously including #20 in 2021). Like I said before, I think this scenario is highly likely because it essentially buys Pace/Nagy more time. 

I still think that trading back in to the first round to draft a QB may be a route Pace chooses and still secure a 5th year option.

15 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I still think that trading back in to the first round to draft a QB may be a route Pace chooses and still secure a 5th year option.

I would rather do that unless one of the QBs falls. Otherwise, get to the back of the first and pick up an extra mid-round pick.

16 minutes ago, adam said:

I would rather do that unless one of the QBs falls. Otherwise, get to the back of the first and pick up an extra mid-round pick.

This place s what I’d like to see happen.  But I fear Pace will be willing to give up a King’s ransom to move up. Teams future be dammed. He is in “save my job” mode and I fear he will be far too short sighted.

4 hours ago, adam said:

It’s totally logical and I agree that landing a top 5 QB prospect will buy Pace / Nagy more time. This franchise can’t afford another strike out at QB, hopefully they strike platinum.

Interesting stuff. Nothing would make me happier than to have Nagy get one of these kids, and then coach him into a superstar, proving that his system works and it was all Trubisky (and Leno lol) I would happily eat a ton of crow if that happens.

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Interesting stuff. Nothing would make me happier than to have Nagy get one of these kids, and then coach him into a superstar, proving that his system works and it was all Trubisky (and Leno lol) I would happily eat a ton of crow if that happens.

We would throw a crow party for sure.

12 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I have some good recipes for crow. I think he will do something to surprise us. I hope its move back still get a OT and a extra top 100 pick.  Then OT,  WR, QB  and CB can be addressed. 

15 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I have some good recipes for crow. I think he will do something to surprise us. I hope its move back still get a OT and a extra top 100 pick.  Then OT,  WR, QB  and CB can be addressed. 

Id love to see it. I am a lot more mad at Nagy than I am at Pace. If Pace does something about the OL, and LT in specific, then my biggest complaints are just that he picked Trubisky and Nagy. I havent been so upset about the rest.

Now Nagy I am 100% in the "fire him" camp. I wont pretend he is terrible if he turns out great, but I am all in on saying that wont happen.

If we do draft a young QB I will be rooting for that guy to do well, just as I want to see Dalton succeed too.

There is all kinds of reports about grabbing a QB but the truth is a GM is going to check out all his options to fill needs. I don't think you can put anymore value in the fact Pace talked to teams in front of them. I think they will focus on a QB if one drops just before NE. 10-14. That would probably be a 3rd this year and 2nd next year. Otherwise they have 1 second tier QB they think they can develop. 

I might try and get a fourth back also this year just because.  But yes.  it leaves us with all our other picks and a good chance to fill in needs this year and next.  But it also gives me hope which I don't have now.  If we don't get a QB this year why will next year be any better

maybe they offer this years first and next years, and throw in Miller to get back a 4th? Thats a small twist on an idea of packaging a 6th to get a 4th I read on here too (but cant find right now to correctly attribute the idea to - who was is?)

18 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The problem with any trade up , SF set the price to move from 12 to 3. 3 firsts and a 3 next year.  If someone is going to move back to 20, it won't be cheap. 

But when a team is on the clock the pressure is different. BTW what did Carolina pay to get Darnold?

25 minutes ago, lemonej said:

But when a team is on the clock the pressure is different. BTW what did Carolina pay to get Darnold?

The Jets received three picks: a sixth-rounder in the in this years draft, and a second-rounder and fourth-rounder in 2022.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:58 PM, Stinger226 said:

The problem with any trade up , SF set the price to move from 12 to 3. 3 firsts and a 3 next year.  If someone is going to move back to 20, it won't be cheap. 

The key is - Lance/Fields get to the Panthers pick - the cost should be less. The way I see it - at that point - you have Pats, Redskins, Bears, and Patriots as 4 teams vying for those 2 remaining QB's.  The cost to move up is not going to be 3 1st round picks - reality is you are going to more likely be talking about this years first, plus next years 1st and maybe some swapping of other picks.  

At that point - feels like the juice is worth the squeeze.  Will hurt to lose a 1st round pick next year - but Bears cap position will be significantly better.  A lot of dead cap space gone, full flexibility with Dalton/Foles & Graham.  Lower dead cap hits on Mack (if you want to move), ability to create space with Robinson (or trade), plus ability to do the same with Leno.  

And for those that say - just draft a later round QB - you aren't going to solve the QB problem doing it.  There is no sure thing doing what I propose - but swinging at FRP's at QB is a higher % play than drafting later round picks and hoping you find Brady/Wilson/Brees.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/34139/why-its-so-hard-to-find-developmental-qbs-in-the-nfl-drafts-middle-rounds

I'm seeing mocks and even on the score this morning they were speculating on us trading up and taking Lance.   That scares me and reminds me too much of trading up for another "top rated rookie QB" with very little playing experience.  Sound familiar?  He only started 3 more games than Mitch, and would likely take more draft capitol to move up high enough to take him.  I feel like Lance will be over-drafted for his limited sample size.     If we're going to trade up I'd rather do so for Jones or maybe Fields otherwise I'd much rather us stay put, or move down a little and take a guy like Mond then add OT, CB, WR.   I'm liking Mond more and more as a late 1st round option.  If we're able to trade down and still get Mond we possibly pick up an extra 2nd or early 3rd, and grab OT, WR, CB,  then add depth in rounds 4-7.   WR is deep this draft so maybe OT, CB, then WR?  

If I were Pace, I would do my due diligence to see what it would take to move up far enough to get one of the top 5 guys (sans Lance), if the deal isn't too detrimental to the teams future then I'd consider it.   I would also consider staying at 20 or trading down at most to 25/26 to pick up more picks to address more needs in the first 3 rounds.  If I remember right the Packers took Love with the 26th pick last year?   Getting a top tier QB won't help much if he doesn't have weapons or a OL than can protect him.  I'd also listen to trade offers that involve players at our need positions as well.  

The fact is that of the top 5 QBs in this class you know that 2-3 likely pan out the others will either bust or be average at best on the NFL stage.  I feel like some of the 2nd, or 3rd round guys have potential to surprise some people and be very serviceable starters.   The biggest plus of taking a 1st round QB is the 5th year option, but it shouldn't be a reason to mortgage the future or reach on a guy.  If you draft a QB and he pans out and is clear you hit on a good one, it's quite likely you extend them before year 5 anyway.  Especially for teams in our position who are looking for a QB that can start sometime this year or possibly start in year 2 (if Dalton starts the whole season).   If we were a team with an established QB with good years left, like Green Bay, that 5th year is more valuable as it gives you more time to evaluate and potentially transition him into a starting role to take over.