2021 NFL Draft thoughts

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/1/2021 at 12:58 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think we are all fine with these moves right now.  I do not think using this model of continuous trading up brings success.  If we get the QB right and it shows in wins, then we can maybe see the reverse draft system of trading down for more capital.  It all starts with having a franchise QB .

I think QB and OT are the two positions that warrant it. Pace locked in QB2 and OT2 in a draft where they could've easily went sooner than they did. Then in the 6th, Pace went BPA crazy, bringing in guys with draft grades way higher than their draft position. 

The RB group may be one of the best in football with Monty, Williams, Cohen, and now Herbert. 

Looking at what I figure is the depth chart at this point, there aren't a lot of holes.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Miller, Leno, and Foles, especially to the extent there are any lingering cap issues.  My guess is they hold onto Foles through training camp at least in case a starting QB somewhere else gets hurt.  Maybe they see what Miller does in preseason and if any of the WRs beat him out straight up.  CB doesn't have a lot of known guys outside the top two, but there's a bunch of bodies there so I have to think someone will distinguish himself (my money's on Vildor, Graham, and maybe Roberson). Another proven WR would probably be nice, especially if Miller is gone, or maybe the can try to flip Miller to another team for a different "needs a change of scenery" type WR.

Based on the guys I think are roster locks or have a chance to make it:

QB - Fields, Dalton, Foles

RB - Montgomery, Cohen, Williams, Herbert

WR - Robinson, Mooney, Goodwin, Miller(?), Newsome, Ridley, Wims

TE - Graham, Kmet, Holtz, Horsted

OL - Whitehair, Ifedi, Leno, Jenkins, Mustipher, Daniels, Bars, Borom, Wilkenson, Hambright, Simmons

DL - Hicks, Nichols, Goldman, Edwards, Blackson, Tonga

ILB - Smith, Trevathan, Jones, Iyegbuiniwe, Woods

OLB - Mack, Quinn, Attaochu, Gipson, Snowden

CB - Johnson, Trufant, Vildor, Shelley, Graham, Burns, Roberson, Joseph, Tabor

S - Jackson, Gipson, Houston-Carson, Bush, Christian

K - Santos

P - O'Donnell

LS - Scales

“Priapism”...if you know what that word is you’re not a true Bears fan.  I admit I had to look it up.  Dear lord.

The more I read and learn about Fields the more I like.  Although he only meets 2 of the 7 “archaic” Bill Parcells’ metrics I attribute that to him transferring from Georgia and coming out for the draft as a Junior.  The completion and TD/INT ratios are the two he scored on and that’s pretty encouraging.  In the three years of eligibility, he made three playoff seasons, starting in two of them.  That’s pretty good.  A lot damn better than our last “Franchise” candidate. 

I see that Minnesota drafted Kellen Mond in the 3rd.  With what I expect are the dwindling days of Rodgers in GB I predict the future QB battles in the NFC North will be between Chicago and Minnesota . 

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

🤣🤣🤣🎯

"If that were to happen, I’d have to go to the doctor for priapism".   I also had to look up.  I assume one's significant other never complained..

No one ever said math was included when I started watching football.  Not so much now.  

As for the draft.  Pace made a mistake in 2017 that cost a lot of capital then as well as well as now too fix.  Everyone says you blow a pick for a first round QB it sets your team back 5+ years.   Well here we are.  He has taken another shot to fix that.  They are back to trying again at a high cost, but I think he  made the best choice available in both first round and 2nd round picks.  And still seemed to fill a lot of holes in later rounds.  I've changed my mind about Pace, again, for at least another year.  We shall see.

18 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Think Miller still wants out?  Bet he wants to stay now.

Miller is clearly on notice.  Like I said in another post.  He was publicly on the trading block and nobody wanted him.  Now he has to get his head together or his NFL days are done.  Somehow, I think he'll have a decent season.

57 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Miller is clearly on notice.  Like I said in another post.  He was publicly on the trading block and nobody wanted him.  Now he has to get his head together or his NFL days are done.  Somehow, I think he'll have a decent season.

It better be his wake up call.  I think a lot of the team were fed up with the old QB.  Now we will see their tunes change as Fields can be that guy who can elevate the offense.

Now the team needs to address the cap issues before they sign their rookies. 

The options are:

1. Extend ARob and push some money to future years as a signing bonus. Current cap hit is $17.8M, an extension could drop it to $10M, saving about $7-8M.
2. Cut or trade Leno, this would save $9M, which would be enough to sign rookies and have some space for a few additional vets.
3. Extend Hicks with a 3-year deal with a void year, current hit is $12M, could get it down to $6-7M and save $5-6M with something like that. Another option is cut or trade Hicks and save $10M.
4. Restructure Mack, currently at $14.6M, could get his down to around $10M with $4M savings.
5. Cut or trade Graham, current cap hit is $10M, could save $7M with this move.

So the Leno move would be the easiest with $9M cap savings. If they think Jenkins can be the LT, with Ifedi at RT, this would be an easy move with the most cap savings.

23 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It better be his wake up call.  I think a lot of the team were fed up with the old QB.  Now we will see their tunes change as Fields can be that guy who can elevate the offense.

After hearing about how Mahomes was groomed (a year on the bench before taking over as a starter) and knowing that Reid & Nagy orchestrated that red-shirt year, I am concerned that Fields will remain holding a clipboard for the first year unless Dalton gets injured.

The difference is that I don't think Nagy has the luxury of waiting to start Fields unless Dalton plays at an all-pro level.

Nagy said everyone would know when Fields was ready to start. Well, let's pray they recognize it's time before week 1 - 2021.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

After hearing about how Mahomes was groomed (a year on the bench before taking over as a starter) and knowing that Reid & Nagy orchestrated that red-shirt year, I am concerned that Fields will remain holding a clipboard for the first year unless Dalton gets injured.

The difference is that I don't think Nagy has the luxury of waiting to start Fields unless Dalton plays at an all-pro level.

Nagy said everyone would know when Fields was ready to start. Well, let's pray they recognize it's time before week 1 - 2021.

Fields will beat out Dalton, he is way too talented not to. I expect him to be starting Week 1.

14 minutes ago, adam said:

Fields will beat out Dalton, he is way too talented not to. I expect him to be starting Week 1.

No, no, no, hell no!  Yes, Fields is dripping with talent.  But he needs to learn the ropes.  Bringing him along slowly is absolutely the way to go.  Too many QB's are ruined by early expectations.

1 hour ago, adam said:

The options are:

1. Extend ARob and push some money to future years as a signing bonus. Current cap hit is $17.8M, an extension could drop it to $10M, saving about $7-8M.
2. Cut or trade Leno, this would save $9M, which would be enough to sign rookies and have some space for a few additional vets.
3. Extend Hicks with a 3-year deal with a void year, current hit is $12M, could get it down to $6-7M and save $5-6M with something like that. Another option is cut or trade Hicks and save $10M.
4. Restructure Mack, currently at $14.6M, could get his down to around $10M with $4M savings.

So the Leno move would be the easiest with $9M cap savings. If they think Jenkins can be the LT, with Ifedi at RT, this would be an easy move with the most cap savings.

In the Pace/Nagy interview, Pace mentioned they have the strategy laid out to get through this. It will be interesting to see.  I would like to see Arob and Hicks contracts re-done to keep them both around for the SB run.

Keep in mind players you cut at the end of the roster gives you money back. For example,  Wims-Joel Iggy-Nall-Pierce-Christian-Tabor clear up between 5 and 5.5 mil in cap space. That's close to  the rookie payout. As they keep rookies Tonga,  they drop LaCall London 660,000 cap space.  I think they can stay cap friendly with just back end cuts. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

The options are:

Unless you intend to sign someone this year - I don't think the have a massive sense of urgency. I do think you are right on Robinson - but if they want to go another route - they can always franchise him one more time and try to trade him again. In general - Bears cap situation is dicey this year (but they can do everything they need to this year without having an issue) - starting next year it gets a ton better.

Quinn - Gone - $16M

Dalton/Foles - Both gone - clears up a ton of money. Although one could always stay on as a backup - $20M

Graham - Clears up money - 7/8M 

Arob - you extend him or trade him and find another wideout; Either way - you clear cap space - Probalby free up 4M or so if you extend

Hicks - I honestly don't know what to do with Hicks - you can't give him too much money - old lineman don't hold up that well - depends 

Mack - maybe you trade him...either way...start to get to a spot where you have more flexibility with him - depends

Leno - Can create cap space pretty easy - lets assume you cut - 7M+

Before factoring in Mack/Hicks - I think that puts you at about $50M in cap savings (vs. this year)

Oh - and than add in an expanding cap - they could be $60m+ Under the cap

That is a lot fo money working in the bears favor - with the one big move needed being Roquan I think. I have a feeling Bears will go from one of the most poorly cap situated teams to one of the best cap situated teams in a matter of a year.  That should give the team some room to address DB and/or address the line / find potentially other weapons via FA.  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

No, no, no, hell no!  Yes, Fields is dripping with talent.  But he needs to learn the ropes.  Bringing him along slowly is absolutely the way to go.  Too many QB's are ruined by early expectations.

Dalton is also far more solid than Foles / Glennon - so barring injury - I expect him to get some runway.  If Fields is good enough - than so be it, but I fully expect Nagy to start things slow with him.  I also assume Pace/Nagy are sticking around beyond this year and at this point - I am okay with that unless Fields looks like a dumpster fire (please please don't let that happen). 

I am at the point where I say - Nagy, while he has his warts, has made playoffs 2 out of his first 3 seasons. He has done it without a QB that he technically drafted.  In KC he was a key part in Mahome's development - so at this point - I'm willing to see if he can find another gem in Fields and help develop said gem.  

Lets roll.  Man - has training camp started yet?  

First off, overall thoughts on the draft. 

I have to give credit where credit is due.  Pace/Naggy had themselves the best draft of their time here in Chicago (not a hard hurdle to jump).  Some of that can be attributed to self awareness and the need to have the kind of draft that give themselves an opportunity to stick around past this coming season.  Pace drafted like a GM drafting with a sense of urgency but more patience and situational awareness than I anticipated he would.  I had feared he'd do something irrational just to take a swing, like trade the farm to move up and then take Trubisky 2.0 in Lance.  I could see him being enamored with the raw athletic abilities Lance possesses.  There were different things that had to happen for round 1 to play out as it did.  SF taking Lance as the 3rd QB off the board leaving Mac and Fields to drop.  Other teams like Denver, and Carolina opting to go elsewhere and both QB's continuing to fall all the way to 11.  Pace bided his time and when it was clear they were falling, he saw an opportunity to spend less capitol to jump 9 spots and take a guy who probably should have gone #3 overall at #11 is a STEAL.  Here's hoping he makes other teams ahead of us look dumb for not taking him.  He certainly will carry that chip on his shoulder and I love it.  Moving up in the second to take a first round talent in Jenkins, I feel was worth it even though I was bummed that that eliminated out 3rd rounder, but it did give us back a 5th.  Using that 5th to take a second OT in Borom who like Jenkins brings some nasty to the OL that has been lacking for a long time.  Both are versatile.  Jenkins has played LT, RT, and interior.  Borom project to be either a RT or RG.  Both can be day one starters.  We trade down in the 6th to pick up a 7th to go with our 3 sixths.  Herbert is the only pick I'm a little iffy on, though he can be a change of pace guy/returner/ST.  Daz Newsome is an intriguing late round WR who looks like a tough possession receiver type.  Graham is a chance to make an impact with potential.  He has sticky hands and locates the ball well as a DB.  Perhaps NB?  And Tonga could work his way in as a rotational DT.  The obvious highlight of this draft is the first three picks we made.  Needed a QB got a steal at #11, and added some nasty day one starter quality OL.   

As the draft was happening I was like who is this GM and what did he do with Pace?  We've learned to expect the worst, but this was a breath of fresh air.  Pace made smart decisive moves that improve this team in the short and hopefully long term.  I feel like he has bought himself and Nagy the opportunity to fight for more time beyond 2021.  I'm not going to come out and say they saved their jobs, but the set the groundwork for that.  Now it is up to Nagy and the coaching staff to develop Fields the correct way.  I'm not going to say what that correct way is as I don't think it's fair to him or the team to follow or avoid any blueprint that worked or didn't work for a different player.  They need to do what's best for Fields and the Bears.  If that means he sits behind Dalton for part or all of 2021 then do that,  If that that means he's clearly ready to start from day 1 then do that, I feel like the right course may be somewhere in between.  Nagy stated that everyone would know when he's ready.  I don't want to see them rush him in, nor do I want them to blindly follow the Mahomes model.  Every QB is different.  I feel like Mahomes was more raw coming out of the draft than Fields is.  When I think about it from Fields perspective imagine the pressure to perform.  He comes in with the weight of a team and fanbase starving for a franchise QB. Fields coming in with the hopes and dreams that he will be what all but a couple QB's in the teams 100+ year history have failed to be.  That is a lot of weight.  While I would love to see him start day one and be great. I think the right call is to go into the offseason programs, training camp, preseason etc. with Dalton penciled in as the starter, till Fields is ready to take the reins.  This is on Nagy and his staff to do this right.  If he does this and he and Pace earn the right to keep their jobs and prove they truly have learned I would be willing to eat as much crow as anyone here.  As a life long Bears fan all I want is my team to strive with every fiber of they're being to be a winning organization.  This draft has the potential to be that turning point.  Plus with what's going on in GB we could potentially end up with the best QB in the division.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:05 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

“Priapism”...if you know what that word is you’re not a true Bears fan.  I admit I had to look it up.  Dear lord.

The more I read and learn about Fields the more I like.  Although he only meets 2 of the 7 “archaic” Bill Parcells’ metrics I attribute that to him transferring from Georgia and coming out for the draft as a Junior.  The completion and TD/INT ratios are the two he scored on and that’s pretty encouraging.  In the three years of eligibility, he made three playoff seasons, starting in two of them.  That’s pretty good.  A lot damn better than our last “Franchise” candidate. 

I see that Minnesota drafted Kellen Mond in the 3rd.  With what I expect are the dwindling days of Rodgers in GB I predict the future QB battles in the NFC North will be between Chicago and Minnesota . 

:D You can be a Bears fan with a diverse vocabulary.

What I love about Fields, even though I'm not sold on the pick, is that he had sustained dominance at the top levels of NCAA football. Period. His performance over and over doesn't lie. If he can translate that to the NFL, he'll be really good for the Bears...provided Pace/Nagy continue to make OL a priority.

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

This sums up the new age-online Chicago Bears fan (if you ever spend time reading fan comments).  Best thing on the internet today.  Welcome Justin Fields.

This is the best thing on Twitter I've seen in a while.

8 hours ago, jason said:

:D You can be a Bears fan with a diverse vocabulary.

What I love about Fields, even though I'm not sold on the pick, is that he had sustained dominance at the top levels of NCAA football. Period. His performance over and over doesn't lie. If he can translate that to the NFL, he'll be really good for the Bears...provided Pace/Nagy continue to make OL a priority.

I wonder how much familiarity Justin Fields has with Javon Wims and Riley Ridley from his time at Georgia?  Be nice to see them two bums become something. 

17 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

This sums up the new age-online Chicago Bears fan (if you ever spend time reading fan comments).  Best thing on the internet today.  Welcome Justin Fields.

Yeah, this is fantastic!

Peace

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I wonder how much familiarity Justin Fields has with Javon Wims and Riley Ridley from his time at Georgia?  Be nice to see them two bums become something. 

Good thought.  Wims was a top ranked WR the year he was drafted after one (?) year at Georgia.  Now if he can just keep his head in the game.  And I’m guessing Ridley just needs a good QB to throw to him to see his potential. After all Pace wanted to draft his brother when he ended up drafting Wims.  

18 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

awesome :) I hope this is what it looks like on the field too!