Nagy is losing it under pressure

BearFan PHX

I just watched this "press conference" and Nagy's body language is terrifying. If you saw this raccoon suffering in the road, you'd be a good guy and put it out of its misery.

I know that the press conference was virtual, and without an audience to remind him he's being watched, he might have felt like he was on a phone call, and forget to control his body. So if not a guy cracking, at least an honest moment then. But this guy is so shifty, he keeps scratching his neck. His beard is getting longer. He keeps shifting his weight. His eyes are all over the place. He repeats "next man up" "focus on the positive" at one point he had to say "next coach up" in regards to the coordinators. Everyone including and especially Nagy feels the uncomfortable nature of the situation.

He knows it's over, we know it's over, everyone knows it's over.

Do the right thing McCaskeys, and make the move. It's just too weird right now, and it's not helping anything at all to wait.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

I just watched this "press conference" and Nagy's body language is terrifying. If you saw this raccoon suffering in the road, you'd be a good guy and put it out of its misery.

I know that the press conference was virtual, and without an audience to remind him he's being watched, he might have felt like he was on a phone call, and forget to control his body. So if not a guy cracking, at least an honest moment then. But this guy is so shifty, he keeps scratching his neck. His beard is getting longer. He keeps shifting his weight. His eyes are all over the place. He repeats "next man up" "focus on the positive" at one point he had to say "next coach up" in regards to the coordinators. Everyone including and especially Nagy feels the uncomfortable nature of the situation.

He knows it's over, we know it's over, everyone knows it's over.

Do the right thing McCaskeys, and make the move. It's just too weird right now, and it's not helping anything at all to wait.

He doesn't answer a single question. At this point, it seems like it's because he doesn't know or have an answer. No offense to him, but he doesn't even sound like an NFL Head Coach. He seems like someone the team threw out there for the press conference. 

I stopped after a reporter mentioned Goldman is coming back from the COVID list and asked him are there any others expected back.   Nagy replied with "what player would that be?" 

Being on the short leash right before the holidays (he's got family too) and then having all this COVID stuff take away the people he needs to help him win.  I think he's done too.  Omicron  isn't going away next week, does he want to deal with this again? 

Nobody wants to be fired publicly as these coaches have to go through.  At some point the classy move is to allow him his dignity and self-respect and make the move everyone knows is coming.  

49 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Nobody wants to be fired publicly as these coaches have to go through.  At some point the classy move is to allow him his dignity and self-respect and make the move everyone knows is coming.  

exactly. I dont hate the guy, I feel bad for him. i think it would be merciful to end it now.

But that doesnt mean I like him as head coach, I think hes a fake. I just think Matt Nagy the guy is probably really nice guy, the kind of guy youd like to live next door to. Whereas having Bill Parcells be your landlord would be terrible, but Id take that guy as a head coach any day.

Anyway, Nagy has to stand there, humiliated, and you can see how uneasy it is making him. It is very difficult to watch how he cant settle his eyes, his body, his thoughts. Just let him go already.

Let's face it Nagy has never been the most up front coach.  But, at this point he knows he's gone, has to know, he looks, and sounds checked out.  Can't say I blame him on some level, when you know your cooked and nothing will change that inevitable firing your heart and mind isn't in it any longer.  His players know he's on the way out which is partly why the locker room is more and more dysfunctional.  I'm sure there's guys in the locker room who support Nagy, and guys who would put him on a bus to nowhere.  Some players are still fighting out there, while others have clearly mailed it in and are making business decisions.   The writing's been on the wall most of the season if not sooner.  

We are dealing with what most of us knew we'd be dealing with when they failed to pull the plug last  offseason and kept everyone around for one more year.  All that did was set the team in a holding pattern of circling the drain.  

I do hope the rumblings of Teddy moving away from football operations, and we do see a restructure of the front office and finally get real football minds in place to turn this franchise around.  A shake up is needed beyond HC/GM.  

I dont think he's checked out as in he doesnt care. I think he is humiliated trying to look brave and strong while he is crumbling inside. Sort of like having to stand in your underwear in front of the entire school and recite the Gettysburg address. He just wants to disappear and be anywhere else.

9 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Nagy is being a pro right now, as he is auditioning for his next gig.  It takes strength to stay on the high road.  There are 31 organizations out there that will remember this time favorably for him.

I totally agree that is his goal. I'm just saying he looks to be under a lot of pressure, and not handling it internally as well as he should want to for that audition. I think he cant keep his insecurity from bubbling up. It's a lot of pressure, and it's understandable. Not being insecure in this situation would require balls of steel. But he looks like he's cracking, and this isn't good for anyone.

I didn't see the game tonight, but I read that Nagy blew up at a ref. This is getting too weird, and out of control, and it's a spectacular failure on the part of Phillips and McCaskey.

9 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I totally agree that is his goal. I'm just saying he looks to be under a lot of pressure, and not handling it internally as well as he should want to for that audition. I think he cant keep his insecurity from bubbling up. It's a lot of pressure, and it's understandable. Not being insecure in this situation would require balls of steel. But he looks like he's cracking, and this isn't good for anyone.

I didn't see the game tonight, but I read that Nagy blew up at a ref. This is getting too weird, and out of control, and it's a spectacular failure on the part of Phillips and McCaskey.

I definitely agree with your original thoughts and was offering a different perspective.  Nagy definitely looks like dead man walking.  He has definitely put so much heart into this team and has to feel the weight of the world.  I agree, it's time remove him from this misery.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I definitely agree with your original thoughts and was offering a different perspective.  Nagy definitely looks like dead man walking.  He has definitely put so much heart into this team and has to feel the weight of the world.  I agree, it's time remove him from this misery.

right on.

I feel badly for the guy. But I feel badly for us too. We deserve a real team.

The problem with Nagy it seems that his ego (or stubbornness) got in the way. Instead of just being the Head Football Coach, he tried to be this offensive guru which he was not qualified for or had the mental capacity to handle. So instead of fully relinquishing all responsibility for the offense, which should've happened in the offseason, he gave away play calling for a few games. Did you see how bad that game looked last night? That was Matt Nagy's brain on offense.

Very few people can design NFL-level offenses and have plays for every coverage and game situation. Nagy is like us and he is not one of them. Hopefully, we can find one. 

He also failed to ever make a single adjustment, week to week, game to game, half to half. He just called random plays at random times, sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. Monty has two good runs in a row, pull him out, go to Wild Cat with a double reverse. Why? Just because. When things wouldn't work, he would just keep doing them. Does anyone remember CPat 3rd and Short draw up the middle for no gain last year? How many times was he going to do that?

He also never took advantage of any of his player's strengths, which was clearly evident first with Trubisky, then with Monty, then CPat, then Fields. He had an offensive vision and just forced all players to run it. Foles was vocal about it. It never fit Trubisky and it is definitely not fitting Fields. 

I remember when Nagy was so dead set on having a single-player other than the QB be so important to the offense that if they were not in, the offense would do nothing. The Adjustor. Trey Burton, Cohen, CPat, etc. If that player was so important to key off of, who was the player this year? In essentially the same offense? Makes sense that the offense is so bad because they don't have the Adjustor.

Nagy is too proud to admit he can't handle being OC and HC at the same time. Imagine that. The reality is, being the OC requires fulltime commitment, and incredible detail. The attention span required to find a flaw in what the defense is doing and then exploit it, or set it up for future exploitation, requires a full time, offensive-oriented mind. And since Nagy is occupied with being the HC as well, he simply isn't that guy. Which is why, of course, there are almost no adjustments during the game. And further, there is no rhyme or reason to when the Bears actually do try something different.

It's time. Fire this dude.

8 hours ago, jason said:

Nagy is too proud to admit he can't handle being OC and HC at the same time. Imagine that. The reality is, being the OC requires fulltime commitment, and incredible detail. The attention span required to find a flaw in what the defense is doing and then exploit it, or set it up for future exploitation, requires a full time, offensive-oriented mind. And since Nagy is occupied with being the HC as well, he simply isn't that guy. Which is why, of course, there are almost no adjustments during the game. And further, there is no rhyme or reason to when the Bears actually do try something different.

It's time. Fire this dude.

Nagy literally fired himself. He could've handed all offensive duties to his coordinators and assistants and then would have scapegoats for a season like this. The team is still fighting which is not normally the case when you are out of contention, which is normally a positive for a HC. 

There were so many legit excuses Nagy could've had. New playcaller, rookie QB, new DC, COVID, injuries to star players, rotating OLine, thin secondary, tough schedule, officials, visor too tight on head. 

Based on his recent comments, I think there was a meeting before the Thanksgiving game that this would be his last year as HC regardless of the season outcome. They were 3-7 having lost 5 straight. They ultimately had to win out to make the playoffs, which was not happening. He has acted and looked like a lame duck coach since that point.

He is having such a bad season that he may never get another HC job again. It happens to a ton of coaches, he will probably need to go to college football after this run. 

12 minutes ago, adam said:

Nagy literally fired himself. He could've handed all offensive duties to his coordinators and assistants and then would have scapegoats for a season like this. The team is still fighting which is not normally the case when you are out of contention, which is normally a positive for a HC. 

There were so many legit excuses Nagy could've had. New playcaller, rookie QB, new DC, COVID, injuries to star players, rotating OLine, thin secondary, tough schedule, officials, visor too tight on head. 

Based on his recent comments, I think there was a meeting before the Thanksgiving game that this would be his last year as HC regardless of the season outcome. They were 3-7 having lost 5 straight. They ultimately had to win out to make the playoffs, which was not happening. He has acted and looked like a lame duck coach since that point.

He is having such a bad season that he may never get another HC job again. It happens to a ton of coaches, he will probably need to go to college football after this run. 

Agree. Nagy is going to make a decent coach at a mid-major. He needs to follow the Mel Tucker route. We all know Mel Tucker was a complete flop, and way over his head in the NFL, but they think he's a genius at Michigan State. 

1 minute ago, jason said:

Agree. Nagy is going to make a decent coach at a mid-major. He needs to follow the Mel Tucker route. We all know Mel Tucker was a complete flop, and way over his head in the NFL, but they think he's a genius at Michigan State. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to his alma mater.

Now, for some Nagy-esque reason, Nick Foles is starting on Sunday vs the Seahawks.  What is wrong with Fields?  Did covid19 take Dalton out completely?  Was Nagy told to put Fields on a shelf for the rest of the season?  Is Nagy praying Foles will have a miracle game, thus proving his offense works while auditioning for their respective next gigs?  Who the hell knows...🤣

Dalton has what is described as a “gnarly” injury to his left (non-throwing) hand.  No need to wear down Fields this late in a lost season.  Not to worry though; Va Tech graduate (and Herbert teammate) QB Ryan Willis was signed as the #4 shortly after Dalton got hurt.  

For what it’s worth, I think Foles will do well (provided he doesn’t get clobbered) as he doesn’t believe in Nagys system.  I suspect he’ll call a lot of audibles.

Not only that, Ifedi is starting over Borom, Ifedi is also a Team Captain. Nagy is clearly trying his best to get fired in season.

I hope Foles audibles at the line or calls his own plays in the huddle, that would be hilarious and more effective than what Nagy could ever do. 

On 12/19/2021 at 4:03 PM, BearFan NYC said:

exactly. I dont hate the guy, I feel bad for him. i think it would be merciful to end it now.

But that doesnt mean I like him as head coach, I think hes a fake. I just think Matt Nagy the guy is probably really nice guy, the kind of guy youd like to live next door to. Whereas having Bill Parcells be your landlord would be terrible, but Id take that guy as a head coach any day.

Anyway, Nagy has to stand there, humiliated, and you can see how uneasy it is making him. It is very difficult to watch how he cant settle his eyes, his body, his thoughts. Just let him go already.

I think when he took over and had a coach of the year 2018. His ego got the best of him. He thinks his system is supreme and can't get off of it. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

So he is under the assumption he is coaching the last two games. All they need to do is tell him he is not returning next year and they can start interviewing as early as tomorrow.

At the end of the day how does it affect the team going forward?  Is there really any harm in him coaching until the end of the season?  As we’ve seen the last few weeks the team is still playing inspired football despite knowing Nagys got one foot out the door.  Besides that, most of the better candidates are still (or will be) coaching into the playoffs.  With this new rule I noticed a team with a prospective HC candidate on its staff has to give consent to interview.  I could see some wanting to exercise that to avoid distracting the team as they prepare for the post-season.