Off season movement

Alaskan Grizzly

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Mack is on the trading block per Schefter.  To Chargers.  

Now Rappaport.  Second this year and a sixth next.

Now confirmed!

Does that mean they are going to keep something from Hicks, Goldman, Nichols.  And they believe the guy who filled in last year has some upside.  

Sad to see, but they have lots of holes and older players.  Get what you can.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Look for Quinn to go next.  They can probably get a third for him.

If you only got a #2 and 6th for Mack , that would mean a 3rd and 6th for Quinn? If you trade him post June 1 you could pick up 12.4 mil cap space but has dead money for the next 3 years. Before June 1 you only get 4.5. The key to all of these trades are hoping Gipson takes another step. Had 7 sacks this year.

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If you only got a #2 and 6th for Mack , that would mean a 3rd and 6th for Quinn? If you trade him post June 1 you could pick up 12.4 mil cap space but has dead money for the next 3 years. Before June 1 you only get 4.5. The key to all of these trades are hoping Gipson takes another step. Had 7 sacks this year.

Yes.  I think the statement with Mack says that we are going through the pain this year to correct Paces' bad decisions.  Honestly, I think this is the Polian effect.  We have always looked to dream for the next guy to take us over the hump,  instead of building something very solid.  With the franchise getting solid advise that they are NOT going anywhere this season, they can focus on 2023 without worrying about now.  This is exactly what I wanted last year and am finally getting it this year.

38 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

That is why I like this deal so much. It signals Bears are not looking for a quick fix, and they are willing to go through some short-term pain for long-term gain. That said - it isn't even that bad of short-term pain. They are getting a 2nd round pick + immediate cap space (6-7M) and they are freeing up playing time for an ascending player like Gipson to show if he can take those steps or not. Gipson will never be Mack, but he could be a pretty solid player and now we will get to see that. In the meantime - they can get a wideout or DB or olineman with that pick and can also use the cap space from Mack to go get a center or something else in free agency....and than they have $30M next year to spend on whatever holes they have too (or ideally to give some young players extensions).  

And in a year - man $120M in cap space...crazy....

I don't see Poles able  to move AJAC because of the cost of the contract and regression in his play.. Maybe Goldman as a traded player instead of just cut. Whitehair also gets paid alot. even with low compensation back at least you get more money to spend. Quinn is a valuable piece but don't think you would get a lot for him because of his age and contract. You still need someone to pass rush.

11 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

That is why I like this deal so much. It signals Bears are not looking for a quick fix, and they are willing to go through some short-term pain for long-term gain. That said - it isn't even that bad of short-term pain. They are getting a 2nd round pick + immediate cap space (6-7M) and they are freeing up playing time for an ascending player like Gipson to show if he can take those steps or not. Gipson will never be Mack, but he could be a pretty solid player and now we will get to see that. In the meantime - they can get a wideout or DB or olineman with that pick and can also use the cap space from Mack to go get a center or something else in free agency....and than they have $30M next year to spend on whatever holes they have too (or ideally to give some young players extensions).  

And in a year - man $120M in cap space...crazy....

I think you and I have been on lockstep this off season

Now I see on ESPN that T. Cohen has been released. What was his cap figure?

Bears are releasing RB Tarik Cohen with an injury designation, per source. He is not able to pass a physical yet stemming from his knee injury during the 2020 season. Cohen’s goal is to be ready in time for this upcoming season.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fschefte
Adam Schefter, ESPN Senior Writer10m ago

I just saw an article on Bearswire/usatoday that answered my question:

Cohen’s release will free up $2.25 million in salary cap space while also costing $3.5 million in dead money, if designated a pre-June 1 cut.

17 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Now I see on ESPN that T. Cohen has been released. What was his cap figure?

I don't know if we save anything but my understanding is he can't pass a physical at this point. I wish him all the best going forward but it is time for the Bears to move on. 

Peace

His (Cohen’s) replacement is on the roster in Grant…now they need to resign him.  Of course he’s gonna be a bit more pricey and really we’d need to know whether he’d figure into the scheme.  He’s definitely a versatile player.  Think C.Patterson but smaller.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/10/bears-jakeem-grant-nfl-free-agency-market-value/

Cohen saves $2,250,000 this year and more importantly $5,750,000 next year.

Goldman saves $6,660,000 this year and a whopping $9,190,000 next year. 

So between these two moves, the Bears have an additional $14,940,000 in new cap for 2023.

They now have $136.3M cap space in 2023, the 4th highest in the NFL.

Bears now have the 5th most cap space in 2022 as well.

I can see them using a post-June 1st on Trevathan to free up $3.28 this year and $4M next year. Pace screwed his contract and he has 3 void years that will automatically carry some dead money out to 2025. Pace is an idiot.

23 hours ago, Bill said:

Does that mean they are going to keep something from Hicks, Goldman, Nichols.  And they believe the guy who filled in last year has some upside.  

Sad to see, but they have lots of holes and older players.  Get what you can.

So to answer my own question it doesn't look like they are keeping anyone.

42 minutes ago, adam said:

Bears now have the 5th most cap space in 2022 as well.

I can see them using a post-June 1st on Trevathan to free up $3.28 this year and $4M next year. Pace screwed his contract and he has 3 void years that will automatically carry some dead money out to 2025. Pace is an idiot.

He gone...given all the other roster action this is as good as a done deal.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/11/bears-expected-to-release-danny-trevathan-2022-season/

2 hours ago, adam said:

Darrynton Evans, nice pickup, low risk, high reward.

If we were scouting him for this draft?    He offers some versatility in the same way as Herbert.  Why was he let go?  Maybe he didn't have the work ethic to take care of his body that is needed to perform at an NFL level?    

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/gm-report/tennessee-titans-roster-moves-nfl-darrynton-evans-released

In two-injury plagued seasons, the 5-foot-10, 203-pounder out of Appalachian State never emerged as the dual threat/change-of-pace performer franchise officials hoped or expected. He got on the field for just six games – five as a rookie and one in 2021 – and went on injured reserve more often (three times) than he reached the end zone (once). The primary issue was a hamstring injury that first limited him during training camp as a rookie.