Quinn Trade Rumors

AZ54

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure the regime is quite ready to go all in on being a top 5 pick just yet. In the long run a good pick would be more valued but if we can get a upset in one of the next two games, I think they still can reach 7-8 games that would look good at this stage of the season. I think the rebuild is positive, we lost 3 games on 3 players muffing their assignment. There is no guarantee that we would have won those games, but we would have definitely had a shot. The narrative would be different right now if we we 3-3 or 4-2 but it didnt happen. I think when we were a few plays away for a winning record that we are closer to a better team than being a top 5 pick.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

There is no guarantee that we would have won those games, but we would have definitely had a shot. The narrative would be different right now if we we 3-3 or 4-2 but it didnt happen. I think when we were a few plays away for a winning record that we are closer to a better team than being a top 5 pick.

Agreed. The last two losses easily could have been wins.  And what’s more, watching the Pack today struggle against Washington makes me even more confident we can win the second meeting this year.  

I know it's his first game but it's kinda funny that Wilson had a better day rushing than McCaffrey (7-54 vs 8-38). SF just traded for a RB with a massive salary, to be a starter and play worse than the guy they wanted him to replace. 

Lynch and Shanahan, just like Lafleur are overrated. 

Most big trades or paying FAs aren't worth it. That is one thing I like about Poles is not taking the risk involved in those kind of deals that th your team down for yrs to come. Even thou its going to take a few yrs. His  FAs have been it and a miss but no one got a big contract.

This guy is super fast with his edits.  I was trying to find out if this was the Eagles own pick or one they had acquired from another team.  Based on his comment I think it was their own.  

OUTGOING

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/4/4/23010691/eagles-draft-picks-nfl-draft-year-future-philadelphia-saints-trade-2023-2024-2025-tracker-titans-bgn

It's a shame that Quinn hadn't accumulated better stats for this year. If, as an example, he had more tackles and 4+ sacks to his credit for 2022, I am sure the draft pick would have been a 2nd or maybe a 3rd & 4th.

I think I read this will put us around 123 million under the cap for next year. Poles has to use it wisely! 

Question has to be what this will do to our team's morale. R Smith was visibly upset over the news. Will he demand to be traded? He didn't seem to have much respect for the Bears after his failed negotiation of a new contract. I can't believe this has improved his opinion of same.

9 minutes ago, Pixote said:

It's a shame that Quinn hadn't accumulated better stats for this year. If, as an example, he had more tackles and 4+ sacks to his credit for 2022, I am sure the draft pick would have been a 2nd or maybe a 3rd & 4th.

I think I read this will put us around 123 million under the cap for next year. Poles has to use it wisely! 

Question has to be what this will do to our team's morale. R Smith was visibly upset over the news. Will he demand to be traded? He didn't seem to have much respect for the Bears after his failed negotiation of a new contract. I can't believe this has improved his opinion of same.

It's hard to say if the Bears will keep him. We might be tempted to franchise tag him, but his hold out this past year makes that seem inherently messy. Perhaps that was a big part of why he did it.

I suspect Roquan won't be on the 2024 Bears team.

We have lots of money now, but we need more high draft picks. If we got a first and something else for Roquan, Id take it.

Also, this trade probably makes our 2023 picks a little higher up - maybe an extra loss or two without Quinn up front.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

A 4th is good considering his contract over the next 2 years.

Von Miller netted a 2nd and 3rd.

it would have been closer to that if we'd traded him before the season started. And the Eagles are looking like they are going deep into the playoff this year, so it'll be a late 4th.

But for a guy we weren't going to re-sign, this is the right move, and the 4th is a welcome pick.

Someone offer a 1st and a 3rd for Roquan, and I'll throw in a VHS copy of the 85 Superbowl :)

37 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I've lost track. What exactly is our war chest for next year's draft after this trade? 

$125 Million in cap room right now.

1 x 1st round pick, 1 x 2nd round pick, 1 x 3rd round pick, 2 x 4th round picks, 1 x 5th round pick and 1 x 7th round pick so far.

Deal looks a lot better now!   We can do an extension on someone if they choose and pull some of that into this year's cap hit.   I don't know all the rules on that.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/26/bears-trade-robert-quinn-to-eagles-2023-salary-cap-impact/

While the Bears will take on most of Quinn’s remaining salary, which is around $7.9 million, the trade frees up $18.2 million in additional cap space in 2023, per OverTheCap.

For those keeping track at home, the Bears will have $134 million in salary cap space heading into the 2023 offseason, which gives Poles plenty to work with as he looks to address areas of need.

Chicago could’ve opted to cut Quinn after this season, which would’ve freed up $10 million in cap space. Instead, the Bears free up an additional $8 million while also acquiring a fourth-round pick in the trade with the Eagles.

As for the impact on the salary cap for the remainder of the 2022 season, Chicago cleared up $12.9 million in cap space with a $4.2 million dead cap hit.

If you haven’t already, there’s a story below  (and corresponding video) worth a quick read where Poles explains the ‘why’s’ of trading Quinn.  He discusses the business side, the faith he has in his remaining leadership (to help keep the locker room focused - including Roquan) and the personal considerations that needed to be thought about.  At the end of the day he doesn’t owe anyone an explanation (frankly speaking we saw he did good) but he gets props from me, as a fan, for doing so. And one other takeaway, it appears Asst GM Cunningham was heavily involved in the negotiations given his background with the Eagles.  

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/10/27/ryan-poles-explains-why-he-traded-robert-quinn/

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m not that smart about contract stuff.  Is this a good thing for the Bears?  

I don't think so, I believe all of his salary costs should have accelerated into this season.  Eagles are paying Quinn $700k for the rest of the season we pay the rest of it.  Quinn will probably still be worth a $5-10mil/yr deal, maybe 1yr deal in the offseason depending how he does in the 2nd half of the season but for him he'll get to choose his destination.   

49 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think so, I believe all of his salary costs should have accelerated into this season.  Eagles are paying Quinn $700k for the rest of the season we pay the rest of it.  Quinn will probably still be worth a $5-10mil/yr deal, maybe 1yr deal in the offseason depending how he does in the 2nd half of the season but for him he'll get to choose his destination.   

salary goes with the player, and disappears if you cut or void him. in this case, the bears agreed to pay most of his remaining salary this year, but thats it.

guaranteed upfront money is spread over the life of the deal unless you cut or trade him, then the team that paid that money has to eat it all that year (or over two years if post june 1st designation)

basically, the bears pay Quinn thru this year, take an extra cap hit this year to remove him from their books entirely, and are off the hook for any more money going forward, and receive a 4th rounder in return.