Bears Trade for WR Chase Claypool

Pixote

Bears turn around and trade a 2nd round pick for WR Chase Claypool!

Bears to get Chase Claypool in trade with Steelers

Good move, IMO. Chase has caught 32 passes for 311 yards and a touchdown for the Steelers this season despite having an unstable QB room. He will be a great addition to help Fields. 

Here is a quote from WindyCityGridiron.com:

The Bears’ struggles at wide receiver have been well documented to this point, and adding a 6-foot-4, 238-pound weapon with legitimate 4.4 speed gives them a much-needed upgrade at the position. Claypool figures to step in as a starter alongside Darnell Mooney to form an intriguing tandem of young receivers for Justin Fields to throw to. Given the price the Bears paid to get Claypool, one could expect an extension may also be on the horizon.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm wondering with Claypool's size that they may try to turn him into a move TE.  He could prove to be very valuable at that position.  Kmet would then be move to the inline TE.

good point, and even if they dont call him a TE, they can use him that way in some formations.

All in all, he runs a 4.4 and has good hands, so he is definitely a WR.

I also want to add that the guy only costs like a Million dollars against our cap the next two years. We dont need to extend him this year, we can wait until after 2023 for that - so hes a cheap and good piece to see how he fits with Fields.

As of now he's only 24, 6'4" 240 with 4.42 speed. Hopefully they give the 2nd round Balt  pick. His first yr, he did 62 -873-9 . 2nd yr 59-860-2 

He's not a #1 but definitely worth having . Under contract until 2023.  With him , Mooney, ESB,  and Harry , then find a #1 in the draft and you have something.

the good deal is we get him for 9 games this year. It helps in the development of Fields. Try Claypool and Harry on the outside and Mooney in the slot. Or V Jones in the slot and Mooney on the outside. Just heard that the Packers offered a 2nd round pick, and because we gave them our pick is the only reason they traded with us. Two fold helps up with our WR room and subtracts a player going to GB.

I like this move.  Was hoping it was for Balt 2nd Rd pick but given the Pack was involved I'm good with using our 2nd Rd'er.   I scanned that breakdown video of his game and it really doesn't matter to me what we call him (WR/TE) because he's a weapon that has to be accounted for.   Of course TE probably saves us some money on his next contract and I think Getsy will use him in the same mold as Griffin is on some plays.  In his draft profile he was listed as a "Pancake maker with nasty demeanor as run blocker".   He adds something we simply don't have in the redzone and no doubt we'd have been searching for that in the draft next year.  

We have to see how things shake out with this combination but we might not even need to focus on WR in the draft.   That doesn't mean we don't add one but immediate need could drop off the priority list.  If Pringle can return to form this mix of players offers Fields and Getsy a lot of options and all support the run game well:  Claypool, Mooney, Harry, Pringle, followed by ESB, Pettis, Velus.  Velus just stays where he is as occasional gadget player/special teamer.  Not ideal as a 3rd Rd pick but he can still add value especially when you have Claypool able to take the top off the D which should make Velus' underneath routes more open.  

Can't wait for Sunday.  

The Fighting Ch-Irish

Cole Kmet drafted Round 2 pick 43, year 2020.

Chase Claypool drafted Round 2 pick 49, year 2020.

Add in..

Equanimeous St Brown Round 6 pick 207, year 2018. 

Both were big parts of the Notre Dame offense and many Bear fans wanted Claypool over Kmet that draft.  Now we reunite the two and get to root on both. 

Claypool is a great fit as a big target that can out high point most DBs on jump balls and has the speed to separate.  It will be fun to watch him take on the larger role to become a 1 or 2 in this league with his new team giving him faith. 

Ha, was looking over some past conversations regarding Claypool on this board and found this gem.  From January 2021 when Adam posted:  “The Bears could've drafted Claypool over Kmet (just like we said to) who would've replaced Burton as the "Adjustor". Look at what Claypool did in Pittsburgh. Could you imagine ARob, Claypool, and Mooney in 3WR sets.”  

Looks as though you got your wish Adam with getting both Kmet and Claypool and almost had the threesome you were dreaming about…until ARob left for LA.  

17 minutes ago, jason said:

So essentially the Bears traded Roquan for Claypool, and got a 5th round kicker. I feel like overall that’s a loss because I feel like Claypool is good (not great) and Roquan is elite.

it wasnt that though. it wasnt Roquan for Claypool for only this year. Or even Roquan the player for Claypool the player.

It was "the rest of this year only with Roquan and then you get nothing" for Claypool for a couple years and a possible longer term deal if he works out, a 5th rounder and a depth linebacker / special teams player.

16 minutes ago, jason said:

So essentially the Bears traded Roquan for Claypool, and got a 5th round kicker. I feel like overall that’s a loss because I feel like Claypool is good (not great) and Roquan is elite.

* Roquan was as good as gone next year. If he signed elsewhere, the highest the Bears could get is a late 3rd in comp. Since they will be buyers, that would wipe out those chances.  Maybe they target Roquan in FA after the season?

*The FA WR pool after this season is bare.  Plus the cost would be much higher than Claypool who is on the rookie contract all of next year. They have half of thus season and all of next before he cost 10 plus million.

*The draft class at WR is not deep for a WR1 type.  Can Claypool develop into that?  The Bears needed a compliment to Mooney who can also be a threat and I think Claypool will fill that role 

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

it wasnt that though. it wasnt Rowuan for Claypool for one season. Or Roquan the player for Claypool the player.

It was "the rest of this year with Roquan and then you get nothing" for Claypool for a couple years and a possible longer term deal if he works out.

Yep, Poles laying the seeds for the future, 2023-24. We're not used to this kind of stuff. I like the direction.

29 minutes ago, jason said:

You have to consider they were not signing Roquan after this season, they offered 17.5 and he wanted 22. So if we tagged him it would be around 19. So we get something or nothing, so this is a better situation. Claypool is not a #1 but was better than all the other FAs except maybe JuJu or Meyers, that are similar WRs but would cost more. Claypool has a contract thru 2023. Here is the list of FA WRs.Image