Week 13 Official Game Thread (GB at CHI), 12/4, 1200PM CST, FOX, GB -1.5, O/U 42.5

adam

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I've seen enough.   We have our future QB.  This game was perfectly played for 3 quarters and then we just did enough at the end to retain the higher draft pick.  Some young DBs really surprised me with how well they played.  I was expecting a lot of breakdowns and while there were a few at the end they forced GB into multiple 4th down plays throughout the game.  Might be far more depth here than expected going into the offseason.   Hicks gave up a TD by hesitating and not closing on the ball to Watson.  With more experience and he might be able to time that better because there was no reason he couldn't have defended that pass.    

Oline was poor today and the Dline was worse.  Rodgers had all day to throw.  These are all pieces we know about so I don't think there were any surprises to the negative side.   

Very true and it can be hard to keep that perspective.  It’s in our blood as Bears fans to hate the cheese heads, and want to see our Bears beat them and stick it to Rodgers.  I don’t think there’s a sports team or player I despise with every fiber of my being like Rodgers and the Packers.  But regardless of todays game or this season as a whole I feel the future is bright. We have talent to build around and we go into an offseason with good draft capitol and cap space. Poles has a golden opportunity to shape this team into a winner. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Fields had one of his best games as a passer. I know the interceptions happened, but he was taking big risks because it was an end of game scenario. Also, Fields is not known for throwing the ball into risky areas. If anything he is hesitant to pull the trigger. Today he looked more in rhythm and confident as a passer. Good.

Leatherwood looked good from what I saw too. That's a positive to build on going forward.

Also, consider that a lot of these starters will be depth next year, and we will have one of the most experienced benches. Some of the players in the secondary today held their own. That's good news too.

But mostly, we dont look like a 3-10 team. Our roster is depleted but I see effort and stuff to build on everywhere. It's a no brainer to think that if you put 8 new improved starters on this team, they'd look a LOT different.

And just like there are only a few real difference makers at QB in this league, there are only a few real difference makers on the D line too. Most teams dont have a top 5 QB or a top 5 DL, we might be in line to have both. And that's a recipe for real sustained success. I like where we are going, and I liked what I saw today, and Im glad we also lost.

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I've seen enough.   We have our future QB.  This game was perfectly played for 3 quarters and then we just did enough at the end to retain the higher draft pick. 

If you cleverly stated that we lost by design, I completely agree.  The gameplan revealed all of it.  

22 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m in with the idea of more Claypool for sure . And Harry.  Still wondering how he’s lost position to ESB and Pettis.  All he’s done so far is make it catches. 

Agree, Harry looks strong.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I thought Fields had one of his best games as a passer. I know the interceptions happened, but he was taking big risks because it was an end of game scenario. Also, Fields is not known for throwing the ball into risky areas. If anything he is hesitant to pull the trigger. Today he looked more in rhythm and confident as a passer. Good.

Overall I agree.  Early on what I saw was a guy who was playing confidently with scripted plays.  As the game wore on he was having to throw more on the fly and decide on his own where the best read is.  He is overly cautious to a point and stared down both receivers on the INTs. As time wears on he’ll get more confident and sure where to throw.  He’s shown immense growth this season, I’m not worried how he’ll do going forward. 

And if the Pack thinks they’ll make the playoffs, or at least last long into them, they’re fooling themselves.  Rodgers was barely able to pull out a win against a decimated Bears defense and was gifted two turnovers from a second year QB.  

27 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m in with the idea of more Claypool for sure . And Harry.  Still wondering how he’s lost position to ESB and Pettis.  All he’s done so far is make it catches. 

Arrive very late to training camp in a trade, get injured and miss the first quarter of the season.  Add in that ESB is in more or less the same offense he's been in for the last 4 or 5 years. 

These two WRs both offer run blocking as their first and best asset.  Beyond that you have to go with the guy who is most comfortable with the routes, and who Fields has the best rapport with.  I hope that changes over the last quarter of the season.  I think Harry is more likely to at least box out a DB on a route like what ESB ran leading to the first INT.   He certainly showed he's more capable of going up and winning on a contested catch.  

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Arrive very late to training camp in a trade, get injured and miss the first quarter of the season.  Add in that ESB is in more or less the same offense he's been in for the last 4 or 5 years. 

These two WRs both offer run blocking as their first and best asset.  Beyond that you have to go with the guy who is most comfortable with the routes, and who Fields has the best rapport with.  I hope that changes over the last quarter of the season.  I think Harry is more likely to at least box out a DB on a route like what ESB ran leading to the first INT.   He certainly showed he's more capable of going up and winning on a contested catch.  

Is Harry under his rookie deal next year too or is he a free agent at the end of the season? 

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Is Harry under his rookie deal next year too or is he a free agent at the end of the season? 

FA.   He's not going to be much more than a minimum-deal type of player so if we want him I'm sure he'll be back.  

I was at the game. Takeaways:

1. Fields is exciting. It feels like when Hester used to get the ball. The stadium gets energized.

2. Fields missed seeing multiple open receivers. Either he is still struggling with reading defenses, or they were further down the line of progressions. 

3. Holy crap is this DL bad. Most GB games I’m convinced they get away with a ton of holds, but they really didn’t need to today. Still saw a few that should have been holds, but primarily the DL had no prayer.

4 Montgomery is still one of the most underrated RBs in the league. He’s making chicken salad out of chickensh*t. OL still a need. 

5. The Bears have the #2 pick, and now more than ever I think they need to trade down. This game was near perfect: basically won the whole game, should have, then lost. The Bears need so many positions, and trading back to hopefully pick up another 2nd and more could be huge since the team needs are essentially everything except QB and 2-3 other spots.

**Love Sanborn. He was involved in everything.

Agree with everything you said. 

Other than the int (they count ) he had his best game. 20-25 , running the ball well. I think he is improving every game but he seems to be waiting to long to throw, trying to find a player get open more or looking for one player to throw to. One pass he forced into Claypool , Kmet was running wild open down the middle of the field. I think he just have to trust his WRs better. 

We were leading the game until 4:43 left in the 4th quarter. Moving down to a scoring position in the two interceptions. It was 19-17 with 2:23 left in the game. We had chances to win that game and then the football Gods stepped in and said they wanted us to have the 2nd pick in the draft.

Santos was off all day. The FG was blocked so not sure that was his fault. 

I cant remember the DL touching Rodgers during the game. They had several pressures. I think Poles adds 4 new DL in the off season.  The only ones worth keeping for rotation are Watts and Jones. 2 in free agency and two drafted. Not only are they not getting sacks but they dont keep the edge secure on run plays. To many guys leaving their zone. Quinn wasnt getting sacks but rarely was the edge left wide open when he was here. 

There is a ton of RBs loose in FA this year, so I think Monty will settle for coming back on a team friendly deal. He's not in Barkley or Josh Jacobs type of money but Kareem Hunt or Jamal Williams lane. Around 6-8 mil a year. Those players are all free agents. He gives a physicality to our running game that Herbert doesnt have. 

I do a mock draft everyday from PFN and we should be inline for several teams wanting to get a QB, Detroit and Seattle both have the need 2 picks in the first round. They keep winning so their picks are moving lower in draft position but both have the Rams and Broncos picks that will be aligned right behind us. The Panthers have picks 5-39-58-89. The Saints have 36-71-106. 

The Panthers have Brian Burns a 24 yr old DE that has 10 sacks this yr. So Burns, 5-39-89-107 and a second next yr?  Unless the Saints are willing to give up Olave, they dont have enough fire powe. 

We have options but I dont want to drop to far back in the top 10.

Sanborn is averaging 12 tackles a game which , if he started all year , would lead the league in tackles. The leading tacker is Rahaan Evans at 10 a game. 

15 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If you cleverly stated that we lost by design, I completely agree.  The gameplan revealed all of it.  

I'm not that clever but watching the play calling later in the game it sure felt like we were content to stay right where we were on the scoreboard. 

10 hours ago, jason said:

I was at the game. Takeaways:

1. Fields is exciting. It feels like when Hester used to get the ball. The stadium gets energized.

2. Fields missed seeing multiple open receivers. Either he is still struggling with reading defenses, or they were further down the line of progressions. 

3. Holy crap is this DL bad. Most GB games I’m convinced they get away with a ton of holds, but they really didn’t need to today. Still saw a few that should have been holds, but primarily the DL had no prayer.

4 Montgomery is still one of the most underrated RBs in the league. He’s making chicken salad out of chickensh*t. OL still a need. 

5. The Bears have the #2 pick, and now more than ever I think they need to trade down. This game was near perfect: basically won the whole game, should have, then lost. The Bears need so many positions, and trading back to hopefully pick up another 2nd and more could be huge since the team needs are essentially everything except QB and 2-3 other spots.

**Love Sanborn. He was involved in everything.

I was at the game as well. Our seats are in section 149. Agreed with everything you said. I also would note Santos looked bad in practice before the game and at halftime. I knew he was going to miss at least 1 kick in the game. 

Further, I thought Blackwell played a heck of a game. I think he's a real find for this front office. 

Peace

46 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I didn't notice it during the game but Leatherwood got 10 snaps (according to Pro Football Reference).  It seems he rotated in with Reiff.  Did anybody see how he performed?  Swift is going to do an All-22 breakdown later this week.  

I noticed him, and he looked strong. He had his assignments, and he kept people off of Fields. I didnt really see him in the running game.

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I didn't notice it during the game but Leatherwood got 10 snaps (according to Pro Football Reference).  It seems he rotated in with Reiff.  Did anybody see how he performed?  Swift is going to do an All-22 breakdown later this week.  

He had one complete whiff and rest was rusty looking.

I think with the investment Poles made into Leatherwood, he plans on him being the RT next yr. I think he knows Borom is not the answer. Borom has played both L and R Tackle, so he may end up being the swing Tackle or will get rid of. He is under a rebuild and no one thought he could do this in one yr. anyways. 

I also think as Harry and Pringle work they way into the lineup, he may be bringing them back next yr to. The whole problem with the passing game is the lack of passing that has affected all of his targets. I think after the bye they open up more the passing game and we will see the progress of all of the WRs. ESB and Pettis have some moments but are back of the room WRs. I think Claypool , Pringle, and Harry will be more showcased to be able to see what value they have. They all may be back next yr. They will be on cheap contracts and will try to build the room off of Mooney and Kmet, and probably add 1 or 2 WRs and choose the best 6. 

They still have to see what they have in V Jones, so I dont think he will be going anywhere for next yr. V Jones, Mooney and Claypool are the only WRs signed for next yr.

33 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Don't get me wrong when I say rusty.  Late off the ball and playing a little tight to Jenkins is all part of not playing in a long time and overanalyzing to NOT make mistakes.  That being said, he's better than Borom.

Fair point. The film shows him late out of his stance. But I thought overall he played pretty well. I suspect we are agreeing, and its "words" that are getting in the way.

Maybe he can start after the bye week so we can really see him. The Eagles and Bills games will be good tests.

He was a  ***** star player in college and maybe with him being cut, it will make him more dedicated and aggressive to be better. Live up to his potential. His draft profiles showed him as ending up as a above average player. No pro bowl type compliments but if he ends up being a 8 yr starter, good get for Poles.