2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, adam said:

There is the vet TE (Getsy special):

This is a good depth signing.  He should fit in quickly in the offense  and on his good years he's put up 50+rec for ~500yds.  Little bit of an upgrade over the backups we had last year.  This year we're going to have a little bit of depth on the roster.  Last year we had none at most positions.  

Twitter Bears gets stressed because he's not making the big signings but he systematically improving the roster back to front. Billings instead of Blackson. Walker instead of Muhammad. Homer instead of Evans. Tonyan instead of Griffin. I think his best trait is patience. He gives a value to every player and over pay for him. The only signing he probably over paid for was Edmunds. He's allowed one per season.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Twitter Bears gets stressed because he's not making the big signings but he systematically improving the roster back to front. Billings instead of Blackson. Walker instead of Muhammad. Homer instead of Evans. Tonyan instead of Griffin. I think his best trait is patience. He gives a value to every player and over pay for him. The only signing he probably over paid for was Edmunds. He's allowed one per season.

He got Foreman and Billings for the same price as Montgomery.  I'm watching some highlights of Foreman and he still has a little burst in his step.  We'll be alright at RB.  

One thing to add:  Last year nobody wanted to come to Chicago.  This year, especially after the DJ Moore trade, I think it's easier to sign good depth FAs on these smaller deals.  Those guys are usually looking for a winning organization that will put them in a good spot to get another deal. 

10 hours ago, adam said:

Needs priority (some free agents remaining):

1. DL x3 (a ton of holes here to address) - Ford, Robinson, Ioannidis, Gaines, Ngakoue?
2. RT - (Borom is not it) - Isaiah Wynn? - or go Center with McGovern?
3. CB (Vildor the weakest link) - Rock Ya-Sin?
4. RB (RBBC for Herbert/Homer) - Foreman?
5. TE (Compliment to Kmet) - Schultz, Moreau?

What else is there to address?

Down to:

1. DE - Ngakoue, Fowler, Green?
2. DT - (after signing Billings still need one more) - Ford, Robinson, Ioannidis, Gaines?
3. RT - (Borom is not it) - Isaiah Wynn, Donovan Smith, George Fant?
4. CB - (Vildor feels like the weakest link) - Rock Ya-Sin?
5. LB - (big drop off after top 3 LBs) - a lot of option for vet min deals here

They could easily cut Whitehair and get a lot more cap space. As someone that was for drafting Young and trading Fields, I wanted them to build around Fields so that there are no excuses this year.  I've been here through the Grossman vs. Orton. Cutler vs McCown. I'm tired of potential. I want to see someone actually just show you need me to be your QB, and Fields is still in a position to not be able to prove himself so far. It sounds like Whitehair will be moving back to Center, and this line even with a rookie or 2 OL, still not good. I want Fields to show he can be that guy this year, i'm just tired of excuses and the bears had the cap space and draft capital to remove excuses. Herbert and Foreman are no where near the threat in the run/pass game as Monty. 

1 hour ago, TravD said:

They could easily cut Whitehair and get a lot more cap space. As someone that was for drafting Young and trading Fields, I wanted them to build around Fields so that there are no excuses this year.  I've been here through the Grossman vs. Orton. Cutler vs McCown. I'm tired of potential. I want to see someone actually just show you need me to be your QB, and Fields is still in a position to not be able to prove himself so far. It sounds like Whitehair will be moving back to Center, and this line even with a rookie or 2 OL, still not good. I want Fields to show he can be that guy this year, i'm just tired of excuses and the bears had the cap space and draft capital to remove excuses. Herbert and Foreman are no where near the threat in the run/pass game as Monty. 

I agree,  time to fire Poles, he's had 14 months and look what's he's done? He never signed a high priced RT or an over paid 3T. Fire his ass. He should have obtained Barkley, Orlando Brown, JuJu, Engram, Juwaan Taylor, Tremont Jones, Hargrave, A good GM would have got that done. I'm glad you're here now, we have had to many optimistic people posting on here. Bring back doom and gloom. This is the best he could do at WR, pitiful.

IMG_20230317_115857.jpg

4 hours ago, TravD said:

I think Herbert alone was better than Monty last year.

2 hours ago, Daventry said:

I think Herbert alone was better than Monty last year.

running the ball for sure, Monty was a better blocker and pass catcher. Herbert needs to hit Mooney's JUGS machine 2x a day for 1000 catches.

32 minutes ago, adam said:

Here is a few guys I would look into for the Bears:

Ngakoue, DE
Fleming, RT
Ford, DT
Gaines, DT
Robinson, DT
Ya-Sin, CB
Griffin, CB

I would prefer to see an upgrade at CB come from FA then using a high draft pick.  Save the higher draft picks to add talent in the trenches.

4 hours ago, adam said:

running the ball for sure, Monty was a better blocker and pass catcher. Herbert needs to hit Mooney's JUGS machine 2x a day for 1000 catches.

Herbert can’t handle a heavy workload.  Everyone here starts he has 3 good games then falls off.  He’s. a rotational guy/ backup but we have a good mix of talent now in the backfield.  

20 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Herbert can’t handle a heavy workload.  Everyone here starts he has 3 good games then falls off.  He’s. a rotational guy/ backup but we have a good mix of talent now in the backfield.  

Agreed.  And I don’t think Forman is the solution as the “other back”.  Maybe more a third down back(?). Since the RBs are a “dime a dozen”, and with longevity in mind, they focus on drafting another RB (not 1st or 2nd but closer to 3rd round).  That way when Herbert nears the end of his rookie deal they can have another set of fresher legs ready to go.  I’m only half joking.  That sort of idea worked for the Shanahan years in Denver (and with his kid to some extent).  Plug and play RBs.  Just about anyone they put in the backfield then could get 1,000 a season.  Key to that though is a good oline.  

Speaking of and specifically Center, still don’t think Patrick, Evans/Kramer, Eieslen or even Whitehair is the solution there.  

Twitter rumor so take it for what little it's worth:  

According to sources the Chicago Bears are reaching out to DE Michael Sam and Carl Nassib. Chicago is in desperate need of pass rush and guys that can get to the ball. Except a deal done soon.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

real gay, fake twitter lol

I freely admit to usually exploring the outer reaches of the web.  This time around I decided to step out of the shadows and see what the popular internet was like so for the first time ever I have scanned Twitter several times.  It's utterly worthless.  Back to Substack... 

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I freely admit to usually exploring the outer reaches of the web.  This time around I decided to step out of the shadows and see what the popular internet was like so for the first time ever I have scanned Twitter several times.  It's utterly worthless.  Back to Substack... 

I seen several fake posts, I got excited about, now I look for two sources before I mention.

My oline take: Jenkins and Jones will improve going into the new year. Whitehair to OC upgrades the position. Davis upgrades the LG position. That leaves the mysterious RT spot. Definitely will be a rookie. He will bring in a RT at sometime but similar to last year, later in the preseason. After cuts. If the rookie doesn't develop, the placeholder will be there awhile. 

Im not sure it will be at 9, maybe if he trades back12-17. At that point only Broderick Jones will probably be left. I think I will be  at 54 or 61. Mauch, Bergeron or Jaelyn Duncan. Those are capable of starting as rookies. Growing pains, yes but the oline should be much better. I doubt Leatherwood is anything more than a backup, but a year around these coaches may help.

Question for you draft savvy friends of mine. There has been some speculation on the forum we might trade down further in round 1 to pick up even more picks. I'm not sure I am in favor of this. I want a top OT. However, my question is, from your understanding of the trade charts & past history of such trades, if the Bears would trade back, lets say 6 to 10 slots, what type of compensation would you suspect they would receive?

• adam unpinned this topic