Anything comments

Stinger226

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

We went 2-2 with Bagent and the same OC and OL and we didnt have Sweat yet. I dont think some hypothetical Jarod Goff would take us to the promised land, but I feel like with nothing from the QB position we are almost to the playoffs anyway. So I agree with ASHKUM that with just some decent play from the QB, we will get into positive territory.

And that's not advocating a plan to get just a decent QB, you know my feelings about having a star at that position, but it is more of a comment on where the roster is for next year and whoever comes at QB. And they damned well have put someone else in at center too lol

But all this to say - the roster will be ready to support a difference making QB if we can find one.

I would say if we had consistent QB play, we would be in the positive category. Fields has games that are at or above that mark, but then has too many below that mark. That's the problem in my eyes. I could care less how he gets the yards as long as drives are more consistent, less 3 and outs, more conversions on 3rd down, and better play in crunch time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, adam said:

I would say if we had consistent QB play, we would be in the positive category. Fields has games that are at or above that mark, but then has too many below that mark. That's the problem in my eyes. I could care less how he gets the yards as long as drives are more consistent, less 3 and outs, more conversions on 3rd down, and better play in crunch time.

On a scale from 1 to 10 Mahomes is the 10, Justin is a 6. That's a starting caliber QB in the NFL. He's not a trash QB. His problem is passing consistency, other talents his has is outstanding.

24 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

On a scale from 1 to 10 Mahomes is the 10, Justin is a 6. That's a starting caliber QB in the NFL. He's not a trash QB. His problem is passing consistency, other talents his has is outstanding.

I like your rating of Mahomes, because he is one of one.  In my opinion, he is the best football player I have ever seen.  He does it from the pocket as well anyone.  He makes phenomenal plays on the move.  Lastly, he does it with his legs when he needs to and he's not even considered fast.

My view on Justin, on the same scale, with five being average, I give him a four.  From the pocket, it's not even close and trust the most important part.  On the move, Justin is an eight, with Mahomes being a ten.  Running the ball, I'll give Justin a seven, mainly because he doesn't make good decisions with read option plays.

People may think I'm overly critical, but it's just how I see it.  As well as Josh Allen played last night, it was just not good enough.  Josh Allen is an eight.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like your rating of Mahomes, because he is one of one.  In my opinion, he is the best football player I have ever seen.  He does it from the pocket as well anyone.  He makes phenomenal plays on the move.  Lastly, he does it with his legs when he needs to and he's not even considered fast.

My view on Justin, on the same scale, with five being average, I give him a four.  From the pocket, it's not even close and trust the most important part.  On the move, Justin is an eight, with Mahomes being a ten.  Running the ball, I'll give Justin a seven, mainly because he doesn't make good decisions with read option plays.

People may think I'm overly critical, but it's just how I see it.  As well as Josh Allen played last night, it was just not good enough.  Josh Allen is an eight.

That's fair, clearly Justin is not an above average passer but his worst critics will say he has gotten better but , as of now, its not good enough. Can he get better? We will see next year with a competent play caller and more weapons. Whether here or somewhere else. People are criticizing Fields on the assumption he can't get better, totally believe he can.

Watching this Baltimore / KC game makes me think how good Fields could be IF given the right coaching.  Both Mahomes and Jackson have had to ‘go off script’ several times and either scramble to make a play or look for an open receiver after missing their first read. To be fair the “right coaching” could be in Chicago or whatever team he ends up going to.  😏

7 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Watching this Baltimore / KC game makes me think how good Fields could be IF given the right coaching.  Both Mahomes and Jackson have had to ‘go off script’ several times and either scramble to make a play or look for an open receiver after missing their first read. To be fair the “right coaching” could be in Chicago or whatever team he ends up going to.  😏

QBs that can play off script are hard to find. A reason Poles may keep Justin here. He improves his pocket traits, unlimited upscale.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The difference though is the off script passer looks much better than the off script runner. Lamar did make a nice TD pass off the scramble but that's all he has done to this point. I was honestly thinking if Jackson loses convincingly it would make more of a case to move on from Fields than to keep him. If Jackson wins and carries the team then your roll with Fields.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Justin is great off script no doubt, but unlike Mahomes and Jackson, he cant play within the script.

You can say that coaching would fix it, but of course weve seen tons of QBs fail in the NFL, and coaching didnt save them. In fact Fields had regressed this year, and was winless when he said he thought he was getting too much coaching, or at least that it was in his head too much.

even the best college QBs are not ready for the NFL. They have to grow. The biggest issue with scouting rookie QBs is how much they will improve and how fast. And one of the biggest issues is how well they take coaching. For example, this is my biggest concern with Caleb Williams.

Some resist it out of ego or whatever. Fields seems to be a hard worker with a genuinely open attitude. It doesnt look like he's consciously fighting the coaching or anything like that. But for whatever reason, the light hasnt come on for him.

For people in Fields' position, with Field's obvious physical talent, they dont fall out of the league. They always get one more offense, with one more new coach, and almost always at a new team. Most do not succeed there either, but some do.

Someone will make a trade offer for Fields, but it wont be for multiple first round picks, and only Mel Kiper thinks it will be even a single first round pick. So that will show us what the league thinks about Fields right now too.

11 minutes ago, adam said:

The difference though is the off script passer looks much better than the off script runner. Lamar did make a nice TD pass off the scramble but that's all he has done to this point. I was honestly thinking if Jackson loses convincingly it would make more of a case to move on from Fields than to keep him. If Jackson wins and carries the team then your roll with Fields.

I agree with your first point.

The second one is hilarious to me - your analysis of Jackson's performance today makes sense too. What has me laughing, and I suspect you wrote it with a grin, is the idea that we are still waiting for one more game to see if Fields can make it, and he isnt even playing in them anymore LOL

I agree though, that Jackson is unable to use the broken plays to beat a quality team as easily as Mahomes can beat a quality team in structure, does tell you something about how freelancing works when you get to the higher levels. You need to be able to do it and do it well, but you cant base your offense on it. Otherwise, why even have plays?

Oh and the only big plays Jackson has made today were actually made from the pocket in structure, even if not in tempo.

31 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

What has me laughing, and I suspect you wrote it with a grin, is the idea that we are still waiting for one more game to see if Fields can make it, and he isnt even playing in them anymore LOL

Oh…weren’t Fields and the Bears still in the playoffs? My mistake.  😒

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Oh…wasn’t Fields and the Bears still in the playoffs? My mistake.  😒

lol but adam was saying (with some tongue in cheek Im sure) that the decision on Justin is affected by this game today.

I will say this - we see how Lamar's heroball doesnt beat a great professional football team.

Even though we are just climbing the ladder and only on the cusp of the playoffs, we should still be building a team that is set up to eventually take on the great teams, or theres no point. we should not be putting our eggs into the hero ball basket - even if the hero is Caleb Williams!

I think the only thing today's games tells you is we are getting close. We can play with Detroit and they played well even though they lost. It showed you what a tier one QB looks like ( Mahomes) and what a 7 th round pick can do with a good team around him. I think Jackson sat in the pocket to long on many  plays and should have went off script more. Mahomes did several times and it helped him win.

36 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

and what a 7 th round pick can do with a good team around him.

no. it showed what this ONE 7th round pick can do. 99% of 7th round picks cant ever do that.

15 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

lol but adam was saying (with some tongue in cheek Im sure) that the decision on Justin is affected by this game today.

I will say this - we see how Lamar's heroball doesnt beat a great professional football team.

Even though we are just climbing the ladder and only on the cusp of the playoffs, we should still be building a team that is set up to eventually take on the great teams, or theres no point. we should not be putting our eggs into the hero ball basket - even if the hero is Caleb Williams!

If you are Poles, don't you take in all the information? 

Fields gets compared to Lamar more than any other QB, and rightfully so. The issue I see is like in hockey, and probably most pro sports, the playoffs are at an entirely different game than the regular season. Ask Dan Campbell, you can't just blindly go for every 4th down because you trust your guys. 

Lamar was supposed to be the MVP. He was shutdown for basically 58 minutes, then got 100+ garbage time yards that didn't even matter, but they look good on his stat sheet. He is primarily a running QB, while Mahomes is mobile and can run if needed, but that is normally his last option. 

My concern with Williams is, did he do enough in the system? He did a ton of hero ball, and in some cases, too much. 

I am thinking this may bring Maye back into the discussion. He plays within the system, has explosive plays, can play offscript, and runs when he needs to. Plus he is bigger, and is not going to get crushed every time he is hit.

I honestly think there is a 3-headed die. One is Fields, Lamar clone without the 4th quarter prowess, two is Williams who could be a Mahomes clone or taller Kyler Murray, or three is Maye, who could end up between a Josh Allen and Justin Herbert. 

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

no. it showed what this ONE 7th round pick can do. 99% of 7th round picks cant ever do that.

That was my whole point, people can win SBs without having a top pick tier one QB. It doesn't matter if it's rare , it matters the possibility exists.

The SF situation applied to us would be , we drafted Williams, he sucks ( Trey Lance) and Bagent takes over and we go to the SB. 

14 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Wow, GREAT playcalling on the Lions' opening drive, and David Montgomery is still a stud.

Monty's 2-yard loss run under a minute basically sealed the loss. Terrible call and run lol.