Anything comments

Stinger226

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Would you agree that it’s possible Justin could improve if he had a better OC that caters more to his skill set?  Theres no doubt Getsy could not and Flus will not.  Many here have said they think he’d do better on a different team.  Why would that be?  

I dont think Getsy is a genius, but i think Getsy closed down his playbook to protect Justins shortcomings not the other way around.

The only skill of Justin's that they stopped catering to was that they clearly told him to slide when he meets his first defender now, as opposed to last year when he put those crazy moves on defenders like Hester.

I dont think Justin can be successful in any system until he can regularly make reads in tempo, and I doubt hes gonna get many more chances to do that. A new team can sometimes give a fresh start, but I think this is a fatal flaw in his game.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

You know what - if Justin fields had a year where he did what Stroud, Herbert or Hurts did at their peak and than they looked like Fields, maybe I would have a different take

exactly. he has to flash at least. Other than the scripted plays each week, Fields rarely showed he could play within structure. He did show a bit against Atlanta, but it was probably too little too late, and the slope of the growth curve is very shallow.

Maybe he will prove me wrong, but id bet against him.

Just now, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Like he did against Atlanta?  🤷🏻‍♂️

he had like 5 plays against Atlanta, showing something hes never really shown before. And he didnt do it against GB the next week.

I am not saying anyone off the street is as good as Fields. But compared to NFL QBs, he just never really got it.

I think Fields' best position would be like Taysom Hill in New Orleans. Let him run the Wildcat 6 plays a game or something. And then he can do what he does best, which is run int he open field without worrying youre going to injure your QB.

He could play some gadget WR too - but if we asked him to take that role, hed demand a trade. And rightly so - he will get one more chance with another team to show it, and then we will all see it one way or the other.

He really is a lot like Hester - a talent without a position on offense.

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Would you agree that it’s possible Justin could improve if he had a better OC that caters more to his skill set?  Theres no doubt Getsy could not and Flus will not.  Many here have said they think he’d do better on a different team.  Why would that be?  

Sure he could improve. Anything is possible but the stats say he wasn’t even top 15 this year - reality was he produced in bottom 1/3rd of the league as a qb. Could he improve to 10-15 sure…get into top 10, I wouldn’t bet it but I’m not saying impossible…but 3 years is a ton of data and there isn’t a long track record of someone performing like he has ever becoming anything worth handing a 40M plus per year contract to. 

Only reason I even say it is possible is because he is such a great leader but man he is just so freaking bad at reading nfl defenses. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Sure he could improve. Anything is possible but the stats say he wasn’t even top 15 this year - reality was he produced in bottom 1/3rd of the league as a qb. Could he improve to 10-15 sure…get into top 10, I wouldn’t bet it but I’m not saying impossible…but 3 years is a ton of data and there isn’t a long track record of someone performing like he has ever becoming anything worth handing a 40M plus per year contract to. 

Only reason I even say it is possible is because he is such a great leader but man he is just so freaking bad at reading nfl defenses. 

The weirdest thing for me to see is the lack of touch. It seems like all he has is a fastball, which can work 60% of the time, but there are times where there needs to be some air underneath the ball, especially on some screen passes, and I have rarely seen him do that. That also makes for a much more catchable ball. He does have a changeup, but that is when he changes his arm angle, but that is still not really a touch pass.

8 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I got my Combine pass today.  If anyone is interested, you have to download the NFL One Pass app.  Instructions are easy.

nice!

On 1/17/2024 at 5:23 AM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Many former players that analyze QBs, have seen improvement and think with better coaching and more weapons, think he will get better. If Poles believes that , it will affect his decision. It comes down to his breakdown of the QB prospects, if he sees another Mahomes, he's drafting him. If not, trade back and continue to build the roster. If he gets more future high picks , he has two years to decide on Justin before you have to pay him big money. 

I seen one mock draft that traded back with Atlanta and ended up with pick 8 and 9. He took Nabers and Jaydon Daniels. Got his second round pick and a future one. This is an option that definitely could still be in play. No one has stated Daniels is a walk in and play day one type. With Williams and Maye, you have to start right away but the rest need some time. It's just not Justin or Caleb, several options on the table. They did that in KC while he was there. 

Just heard on NFL Total Access that Pierce has been retained as the HC for the Raiders. So much hype about Harbough going there, but obvious not.

Last year he did some interviews. Is just using the threat to encourage Michigan to up the ante? LOL

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Just heard on NFL Total Access that Pierce has been retained as the HC for the Raiders. So much hype about Harbough going there, but obvious not.

Last year he did some interviews. Is just using the threat to encourage Michigan to up the ante? LOL

I get the feeling he'd like to return to the NFL if the situation was right, but there is no doubt he uses this as leverage with Michigan too. The guy gets paid there, and the kids (so far) arent worth millions or uncoachable in his tough style.

I can totally see why he likes it there in Michigan.

14 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I get the feeling he'd like to return to the NFL if the situation was right, but there is no doubt he uses this as leverage with Michigan too. The guy gets paid there, and the kids (so far) arent worth millions or uncoachable in his tough style.

I can totally see why he likes it there in Michigan.

Andrew Siciliano said yesterday that he's pretty certain Harbaugh is done with Michigan, due to wanting to coach NFL.  With Belichick probably getting Atlanta, that leaves Chargers.

26 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Andrew Siciliano said yesterday that he's pretty certain Harbaugh is done with Michigan, due to wanting to coach NFL.  With Belichick probably getting Atlanta, that leaves Chargers.

Ben Johnson also interviewed for Chargers job,  I seen on X , I thought your season had to be over before you can interview? X is not the most reliable place for truth. Not sure how that works when teams have yet to fill the GM job first. Maybe Harbaugh is demanding to much control and brings his own GM candidate with him.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Ben Johnson also interviewed for Chargers job,  I seen on X , I thought your season had to be over before you can interview? X is not the most reliable place for truth. Not sure how that works when teams have yet to fill the GM job first. Maybe Harbaugh is demanding to much control and brings his own GM candidate with him.

The chargers are notoriously cheap.  My guess it's money.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think it can only be virtual until after the Divisional Round.

https://theathletic.com/5191174/2024/01/10/nfl-coach-interview-rules/

The Bears 2023 schedule faced 7 playoff teams. Starting 0-3 against playoff teams, then throwing away the Denver game. Looking at the schedule results, they are damn close to being relevant.  They also started off depleted with early injuries to think of it.  I can see why they want to give it one more go around.  The loss of two coaches due to HR issues put a lot on Flus's table.  Does a QB put them over the top or another haul of talent is the question. They need two WRs, Center, and G/T depth.  Another TE would be nice too.  On D, they need a starting FS, and DE/DT depth. 

17 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Bears 2023 schedule faced 7 playoff teams. Starting 0-3 against playoff teams, then throwing away the Denver game. Looking at the schedule results, they are damn close to being relevant.  They also started off depleted with early injuries to think of it.  I can see why they want to give it one more go around.  The loss of two coaches due to HR issues put a lot on Flus's table.  Does a QB put them over the top or another haul of talent is the question. They need two WRs, Center, and G/T depth.  Another TE would be nice too.  On D, they need a starting FS, and DE/DT depth. 

Agree, everyone looks at the record but you have to gage the improvement as you judge bad teams. We beat Detroit and loss a !lackluster game to the Packers who was playing great at the end of the season. Poles put us in the position to add 4-5 very good players between FAgency and the draft. We will look like a different team next year.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Looking at the schedule results, they are damn close to being relevant. 

Even though I've been critical of Justin, with him, I think we win eleven next year.  Problem is, I don't think he takes us anywhere without a major improvement.

This Detroit Tampa game is a snooze fest. 10-10 at half. Goff with 99 passing yards. Mike Evans with the only exciting play with a great sliding catch near the goal line.

TB gets the ball to start the 2nd half. If they score there, the pucker factor is going to go up.

8 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

well if you put Jarod Goff let's say on this year's team, we would definitely have been a playoff team.

We ARE close to being relevant. My personal opinion is that the roster is greatly improved. I dont think the coaching was any kind of a plus for us this year. The position coaches on defense did a great job, but the play calling was terrible to vanilla on both sides of the ball.

I dont think that meant we needed to bring Eberflus back, but that's already done. I do think a QB puts us over the top even more than we realize because I think Fields is the best looking bad quarterback ever, and I don't think people realize how much a real QB would bring and how much has been missing at that position.

Just now, BearFan PHX said:

well if you put Jarod Goff let's say on this year's team, we would definitely have been a playoff team.

We ARE close to being relevant. My personal opinion is that the roster is greatly improved. I dont think the coaching was any kind of a plus for us this year. The position coaches on defense did a great job, but the play calling was terrible to vanilla on both sides of the ball.

I dont think that meant we needed to bring Eberflus back, but that's already done. I do think a QB puts us over the top even more than we realize because I think Fields is the best looking bad quarterback ever, and I don't think people realize how much a real QB would bring and how much has been missing at that position.

Goff scares me though. The minute he sniffs pressure he folds like a wet paper bag. With the Bears O-Line, especially with the gaping hole at Center, I think he would struggle with the Bears. 

7 minutes ago, adam said:

Goff scares me though. The minute he sniffs pressure he folds like a wet paper bag. With the Bears O-Line, especially with the gaping hole at Center, I think he would struggle with the Bears. 

I picked him as an example of a middle QB. I dont want him to be our QB. Im saying even with a guy like Goff, and all his shortcomings, wed be a playoff team. So I agree with you about Goff, and I also think we need a better QB than Justin is gonna be. And if we get in even just a good one, we would have gone to the playoffs this year on the basis of the rest of the roster.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I picked him as an example of a middle QB. I dont want him to be our QB. Im saying even with a guy like Goff, and all his shortcomings, wed be a playoff team. So I agree with you about Goff, and I also think we need a better QB than Justin is gonna be. And if we get in even just a good one, we would have gone to the playoffs this year on the basis of the rest of the roster.

The O-Line was bad and Getsy sucked. I don't even know if Goff is overcoming those two factors. I think the Bears situation would turn Goff into Sam Howell. He would still have decent yards, but way more INTs and sacks. 

Tua becomes Mariota, Purdy becomes Bagent, Prescott becomes Jamarcus. Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Stafford, Herbert, and Stroud are probably the only ones that would overcome the Bears shortcomings. Fields would be Fields. 

We went 2-2 with Bagent and the same OC and OL and we didnt have Sweat yet. I dont think some hypothetical Jarod Goff would take us to the promised land, but I feel like with nothing from the QB position we are almost to the playoffs anyway. So I agree with ASHKUM that with just some decent play from the QB, we will get into positive territory.

And that's not advocating a plan to get just a decent QB, you know my feelings about having a star at that position, but it is more of a comment on where the roster is for next year and whoever comes at QB. And they damned well have put someone else in at center too lol

But all this to say - the roster will be ready to support a difference making QB if we can find one.