Anything comments

Stinger226

8 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

we could probably pay Trubisky half that, whats the point?

I want a GOOD QB.

I am at about 65/35 in the belief that the Bears are going to draft a QB at #1. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, adam said:

Ben Johnson is staying in Detroit, turned down the SEA and WAS jobs, wow. Maybe he is waiting on the Bears position to open up?

I dunno how he is at leading men (no reason to think anything negative about that, just have no info) but based on his schemes and playcalling, Id love to see him here running our offense.

I also prefer an offensive minded head coach, since if you have success youre always losing the coordinators.

To my mind, the job of offensive coordinator is much much MUCH more complex than defensive coordinators, and good OCs are rare. So if we had a defacto OC as HC, or at least a HC who directed the offensive gameplan during the week that would be preferable to a defensive minded HC.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Ben Johnson is staying in Detroit, turned down the SEA and WAS jobs, wow. Maybe he is waiting on the Bears position to open up?

That's a bit disappointing, although I am sure Detroit fans are thrilled, for good reason. 

32 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I also prefer an offensive minded head coach, since if you have success youre always losing the coordinators.

I would normally agree but whenever I hear offensive minded coaches in Bears recent history I can't help but cringe as Nagy and Trestman first come to mind.  Maybe we go the Baltimore route next time and hire an HC with a ST background like Dave Toub?  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I would normally agree but whenever I hear offensive minded coaches in Bears recent history I can't help but cringe as Nagy and Trestman first come to mind.  Maybe we go the Baltimore route next time and hire an HC with a ST background like Dave Toub?  🤷‍♂️

yeah, youre 100% right - we need a GOOD offensive minded HC lol

I would look seriously at a guy like Ben Johnson, but not the probable Superbowl winning OC (Nagy) lol

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Yesterday, I looked at every interview and read everything Poles have said. I get a huge impression he's going for the big haul on trading the first pick and running back with Fields.

A few days ago , the Bears put out a team promotion video that was all Justin Fields. Does a team do that if they getting rid of him? 

Fields next 3 years of cost, 2024=6 mil, 2025=22 mil, 2026 franchise tag 32.4 mil as of now. That's 3 years of an average 20 mil a year.   (The first pick in the draft will earn  a 38 mil contract for 4 years, that rookie contract is guaranteed money) Fields contract would be 20 th on QB contracts list right now. Last time I looked that's cheap for a starting QB in the NFL these days. Money won't come into play if they keep Fields.

You can never be accused of being a quitter, that’s for sure.  However, beating a dead horse springs to mind….

20 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Delivery quickness. It sure doesn't/

He can't say that and be thinking of Fields, not with the slow drop back and hitch. Now he could be talking about a few prospects though (or Bagent......kidding).

Slowik not going anywhere either. So the top 2 guys that the Bears would've been targeting (outside of Harbaugh) are staying with their current teams as OCs (Johnson and Slowik). I guess neither of them were impressed with the WAS or SEA jobs. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

He can't say that and be thinking of Fields, not with the slow drop back and hitch. Now he could be talking about a few prospects though (or Bagent......kidding).

Im gonna play Devil's advocate about my own point.

Maybe he's saying those are the traits of a good QB, and he's the coach to make Fields do that.

It's hard to read the tea leaves on this one! But if he's talking about a built in ability, then he's not talking about Caleb Williams either! :)

Also Bagent's release is quicker than a virgin at the Playboy Mansion LOL but he did throw too many interceptions - like a virgin who needs to make sure the routes are actually open and theres no defender in position to pick him off?

So here's a question: which is easier to teach; to speed up a QB's reading of the defense so he makes reads faster, or to slow a QB's reads down so he makes better reads?

It's funny Stinger, you're actually proving my point.

If Poles hugging Fields means that he is behind him no matter what, the "future" - before evaluating all his options, before the combine, before all the interviews, then he absolutely is compromised and allowing his emotions to make decisions, and then I'm right about my concerns.

The smart argument would be "he loves Fields and supports his guys, but when he makes hard decisions he doesnt let that into it"

But... yeah.

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

"he loves Fields and supports his guys, but when he makes hard decisions he doesn't let that into it"

Actually you made Stinger's point, as I'm sure he believes as I do: (as you said as quoted))

6 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Actually you made Stinger's point, as I'm sure he believes as I do: (as you said as quoted))

that doesnt make sense.

It's not just who believes what about Fields, Pix. of course that's opinion, but the thing Stinger just said would have to NOT be true for me to be wrong?

If Poles is as you think, not affected by his loyalty, and still capable of making tough decisions, then he cant know during the regular season what hes going to do about Fields. He would still have an open mind. The good argument against my side would be "Poles loves Fields on a personal level, but it ISNT affecting his decisions"

And if that were true, then the hug WOULDNT be "all you need to know about the future of the Bears" would it? There would be more to know, because he'd still be evaluating options.

So the hug doesnt "prove" my point at all, but if he is thinking what Stinger said, THEN it does.

You cant just take everything and turn it backwards and call it symmetrical.

I'm gonna add this too. I am NOT sure that Poles is too cozy with the players. ALL I've said is that I have an eye on it and i am concerned about it. If he keeps Fields, I'm gonna think it more. I also predict (again just my opinion!) that keeping Fields is a mistake and we will all see the truth of that by this time next year if it happens.

These are my opinions!

If that doesnt meet some kind of purity test, maybe it's time to examine who exactly has been radicalized here and who is intolerant of who's opinion.

But the post above was just a chuckle, that Stingers argument was a poor one, because it didnt actually prove his point, but it did prove mine (if what Stinger said is true).

And if instead it's true as you say, that Poles has an open mind, and isnt too chummy with the team, then Stinger's argument was at odds with that idea.

So I thought that was funny.

Don't be so sure when the villagers get the torches to kill the monster that they are morally right. A lot of times it's the self righteous crowd thats wrong, and the monster was just a scientist saying the earth wasnt flat or something that just happened to be at odds with the prevailing narrative that the villagers were so indoctrinated with.

One last thought and I will not debate this any further. I consider Poles a reasonably intelligent man. I don't think for one moment he is going to risk losing his dream job (being a GM for a storied franchise) by allowing himself to be swayed by his personal feeling for the players. He will do what's best for the team to succeed, because if he doesn't, he loses his job. You said it is personal. Yes, but not the way you characterize it. It is personal because he doesn't want to go home to his wife and family and tell them he is no longer the GM of the Bears.

2 minutes ago, Pixote said:

One last thought and I will not debate this any further. I consider Poles a reasonably intelligent man. I don't think for one moment he is going to risk losing his dream job (being a GM for a storied franchise) by allowing himself to be swayed by his personal feeling for the players. He will do what's best for the team to succeed, because if he doesn't, he loses his job. You said it is personal. Yes, but not the way you characterize it. It is personal because he doesn't want to go home to his wife and family and tell them he is no longer the GM of the Bears.

yeah I truly hope so! I dont think he is consciously thinking "Im gonna make a bad decision because i love Fields" youre 100% right about that.

I'm more saying that his vision is possibly clouded because he is such a fan.

And I have also repeatedly praised pretty much every move hes made except for Eberflus. And Ive said that he is excellent at playing the draft, making trades and acquiring talent. My concern is simply whether he will be able to fire, cut or trade "his guys" when thats the right move to make.

I have NO doubt every move he makes he thinks is the best for the Bears, we agree on that for sure.

I'm just saying, if you're the judge of a murder case, and youre gonna have to decide whether a guy goes free or gets the death penalty, it's weird to be hugging him and paling around with him a couple months before you lower the boom?

But all that really matters is that he gets the decisions right. I think he got Eberflus wrong, and if he keeps Fields I will think he got that one wrong too, and then Im gonna be suspicious of him.

Im sure we disagree on our predictions of how that would work out, but I'll bet you agree that if he keeps Fields, and we dont win more than 8 games next year, and the defense is balling out and Fields' performance is similar to this years with no growth that THEN Poles might even get fired.

So the safest route would be to draft a rookie QB and that gives poles a few years of leeway to see how that guy develops.

but Im sure we also agree that we hope Poles has the guts to make the right decision for the Bears, rather than what's safest for him?

25 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

that doesnt make sense.

It's not just who believes what about Fields, Pix. of course that's opinion, but the thing Stinger just said would have to NOT be true for me to be wrong?

If Poles is as you think, not affected by his loyalty, and still capable of making tough decisions, then he cant know during the regular season what hes going to do about Fields. He would still have an open mind. The good argument against my side would be "Poles loves Fields on a personal level, but it ISNT affecting his decisions"

And if that were true, then the hug WOULDNT be "all you need to know about the future of the Bears" would it? There would be more to know, because he'd still be evaluating options.

So the hug doesnt "prove" my point at all, but if he is thinking what Stinger said, THEN it does.

You cant just take everything and turn it backwards and call it symmetrical.

You stated that Poles already knew what he is going to do. I believe there is signs that learn towards that being true. Evaluation of this years QBs was done last year and throughout the season. Yes there's more information to obtain but the bulk of the process is tape. I think he knows who he likes and whether he is drafting a QB with the first pick. As I stated before, it's not Field's against Williams, the boat load of picks have to be figured in too. He may like Maye or Daniels , we just don't know. His strategy maybe trade back in the top 10 and grab McCarthy and still get a bunch of picks. There's a building process for the next few years with having 2= 1 st round picks for several years to come. I think he wants to build the team and worry about the QB next year and run with Fields.

If Williams is the dude, he will take him. We will see.

28 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

You stated that Poles already knew what he is going to do. I believe there is signs that learn towards that being true. Evaluation of this years QBs was done last year and throughout the season. Yes there's more information to obtain but the bulk of the process is tape. I think he knows who he likes and whether he is drafting a QB with the first pick. As I stated before, it's not Field's against Williams, the boat load of picks have to be figured in too. He may like Maye or Daniels , we just don't know. His strategy maybe trade back in the top 10 and grab McCarthy and still get a bunch of picks. There's a building process for the next few years with having 2= 1 st round picks for several years to come. I think he wants to build the team and worry about the QB next year and run with Fields.

If Williams is the dude, he will take him. We will see.

all this is true. He does have some idea what hes gonna do.

Of course our filters are different on that decision. I think keeping Fields is a mistake, so if thats where he's leaning, or already decided, and he makes that choice, Im gonna think its partially because he isnt maintaining professional emotional distance. I could be wrong about either of those things or both of course.

But if we get to next year, and I was right, and Justin is the same as he was this past year, that's gonna really suck and the repercussions to the plan we bought with that awful 2022 season will be devastating, and we will be back to mediocrity for many years. We wont have a #1 pick, and we will oscillate as we have for decades between 6-11 seasons followed by 9-8 seasons as we get harder and easier schedules each year. We've been caught in that cycle for many many years. Decades. Surely you're sick of it too! We cant keep thinking like McCaskeys, buying the same narrative we've been sold forever. This has to be about winning Superbowls and not selling tickets and feeding the Chicago Sports Media machine. I know in New England they had a lot of years where they didnt say "Keep or trade Brady?!" The writers will find other things to write about if we get a great QB.

I'm not sold on Williams. I have a lot more investigating to do, including seeing a bunch of videos that havent even been made yet! But I think keeping Fields will be a mistake, and if Poles does that, I'm gonna think that the reason he made the mistake was this possible problem I wonder about.

And if he drafts a QB, he needs to get the right one. And that is a really complicated problem this year in particular with so many good names.

The other way to see that is that there may be more than one great QB here for the taking, and that increases our odds of getting one, IF we take one early. I think we have to. I hope Poles thinks so too.