Anything comments

Stinger226

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this is juicy.

There's a non traditional media pundit that I follow on Patreon who I almost always agree with, and he definitely has relationships with people inside Halas Hall. He goes on shows like Adam Rank's, and had him and Courtney Cronin from ESPN on his show multiple times as well as current and former Bears players. He doesnt always have inside information, but when he does it's usually true. I dont really recall anything being fake from him ever. He also gives a lot of strong opinions that some people might disagree with, but when he says insiders are telling him things, I believe he is telling the truth. That at the least these rumors exist and he isnt the source of them.

Anyway, he says that Warren disagreed with Poles about bringing Eberflus back and things got pretty heated. McCaskey and Poles were on the same page. Interesting.

So if this loving reunion doesn't pan out, especially if they keep Justin, you might expect Warren to fire Poles and everyone beneath him. It sounds to me like Poles gets his chance to prove it, and Warren is cynical about it.

And it goes along with my "Is Poles too loyal? Does he want to be friends with the team?" questions.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

It was in the Sun Times, and I totally agree, what alpha leader DC will come here and put up with this. Also, all the position coaches are staying - which is probably a good thing, but another decision made out of order because of retaining Eberflus. I do like the defensive position coaches.

It should also be said we've heard nothing about interviewing defensive coordinators. They aren't out there looking for hotshots, they're gonna want a puppet. And we will be in prevent losing games in historical ways again.

I hate to say it, but I think the Kevin Warren experiment is already starting to smoke a little. Not that it's too late to fix it, but geez.

From Jan 11th, Sun Times

"Eberflus repeated his desire to call plays again next season but said he’d be open-minded when he interviews coordinator candidates in the coming weeks. He’s already committed to stability, though. The Bears plan on bringing back every position coach on defense and could even promote one of them to coordinator. That makes sense, as each group produced dominant performances."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024/1/11/24035133/bears-defense-coordinator-will-not-change-good-thing-jaylon-johnson-montez-sweat-matt-eberflus-nfl

Everflus is good at calling plays. He did say in press conference he might give it back up - but I think he is looking for someone to help game plan and get the gig and maybe over time they call the plays. The defense did nothing but improve week in / week out once Flus took over and he was excellent calling plays for years with Colts. 

As long as he finds a legit OC who than brings in quality teachers, that works. I think the defense will be just fine as long as we draft well and work on upgrading dline. Flus has shown an ability to develop and call plays. 

12 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

OK, this is juicy.

There's a non traditional media pundit that I follow on Patreon who I almost always agree with, and he definitely has relationships with people inside Halas Hall. He goes on shows like Adam Rank's, and had him and Courtney Cronin from ESPN on his show multiple times as well as current and former Bears players. He doesnt always have inside information, but when he does it's usually true. I dont really recall anything being fake from him ever. He also gives a lot of strong opinions that some people might disagree with, but when he says insiders are telling him things, I believe he is telling the truth. That at the least these rumors exist and he isnt the source of them.

Anyway, he says that Warren disagreed with Poles about bringing Eberflus back and things got pretty heated. McCaskey and Poles were on the same page. Interesting.

So if this loving reunion doesn't pan out, especially if they keep Justin, you might expect Warren to fire Poles and everyone beneath him. It sounds to me like Poles gets his chance to prove it, and Warren is cynical about it.

And it goes along with my "Is Poles too loyal? Does he want to be friends with the team?" questions.

Meh. I don’t personally buy it.  Especially after Warren was heard (repeatedly) using the  ‘Vermiel-Third year’ analogy and has repeatedly said that “stability” is key going into next years. Or…he’s got one heck of a poker face.  

17 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

OK, this is juicy.

I think when Poles decided to keep Flus, he attached himself to Flus. I wouldn’t have done it but I hope he is right. If flus sucks next year and bears stink - Poles is gone and won’t get a chance to hire a 2nd coach. All that said - I really don’t think they will stink, but I do expect some challenges as I expect a rookie qb. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meh. I don’t personally buy it.  Especially after Warren was heard (repeatedly) using the  ‘Vermiel-Third year’ analogy and has repeatedly said that “stability” is key going into next years. Or…he’s got one heck of a poker face.  

This I agree with. Warren was talking so much about Minny and Rams where they stuck it out. I actually wondered whether opposite was true - Poles wanted to move on and Warren thought stay the course. Warren seemed pretty pro stability. 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

or he knows it's smart to sit on both sides of the fence. If Eberflus succeeds then outwardly he was the one to steady the ship, and if it blows up, then he fires Poles and everyone below him next year, and hey Poles wasnt his guy anyway.

Also, if a GM generally gets to hire a second coach before they get fired, then a Kevin Warren gets to hire to GMs, and thats four coaches, so Kevin has a long term invite. No reason to get too active too quick. But Poles might have taken similar advice, because if Eberflus fails, Poles will go too, so in a sense, his second coach was Eberflus again.

All I can say is I believe the report. I cannot say that Poles isnt right. yet. lol

2 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think when Poles decided to keep Flus, he attached himself to Flus. I wouldn’t have done it but I hope he is right. If flus sucks next year and bears stink - Poles is gone and won’t get a chance to hire a 2nd coach. All that said - I really don’t think they will stink, but I do expect some challenges as I expect a rookie qb. 

ha! I was typing the same thing. we agree.

39 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

If true, Warren needs to STFU.  He never played.  Wisdom should tell him to trust the football guy.  If George is involved, we are in deep shit.  And so could be Warren...

24 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

If true, Warren needs to STFU.  He never played.  Wisdom should tell him to trust the football guy.  If George is involved, we are in deep shit.  And so could be Warren...

No matter what it is, if it happened it's disfunctional.

And Warren's job definitely includes hiring and firing the GM at the least, but i am also uncomfortable with him getting into football details.

The whole thing seems like a giant shitshow and they are gonna squander the momentum we bought with the last two seasons. We, the fans, paid the price in 2022 to allow for change. And now theyre already reverting.

Hire a GM. Let that GM hire a coach. Then the coach fills out his staff with the GMs approval. Then together they draft a QB. That's how the flow chart works. But the Bears do it all upside down. Over and over.

And what is the common element from above? Our ridiculous ownership.

Y'all know I call David Montgomery jump cut.  But, what do we call Isaiah Pacheco? This dude has more movement than a Dave Chappelle crackhead skit.  Seriously, this dude does the entire Billy Blanks workout in five yards...🤪

On 1/10/2024 at 1:45 PM, Stinger226 said:

If Poles and Warren had a private meeting and that happened, you honestly think that gets out? No way that's true. They are the top brass in the organization, that would be a bad look and they sure aren't telling anyone about it.Or maybe Cliff Stein overheard it and told someone about it and that's why he got let go. If it happened and they told the public, they would get fired and it would be a story.

First of all, no way to prove it. Without proof, it's a rumor.

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Of course he attached himself to Flus or he wouldn't be here. Poles got the job to rebuild the Bears, no way he's bailing on his plan in two years. That's what journalists and fans do. He didn't expect a winning team in yr 2 . He got a 5 year contract and he's at  least getting to yr 4.

47 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So here’s a ‘silver lining’ thought. 

Bears were down 7-6 at the half last week IN GB.  This week GB is up 20-0 in Dallas just before the half . And Chicago only let GB score 17 total points.  

I was thinking the same thing, plus we played them at home that was their advantage.

11 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Our defense is getting good. Our offense, and specifically our QB was impotent in that game.

The Oline was impotent.  How do all those free rushers escape observation?   

Just now, AZ54 said:

The Oline was impotent.  How do all those free rushers escape observation?   

if you count one one thousand etc, and see Fields hold the ball - that's why. Good NFL QBs would get rid of the ball before the rush got to them. Yes sometimes it's the line, but a lot of times it was Fields.

Also, it's good to see you posting more here, I hope things are progressing well toward health for your wife.

30 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

if you count one one thousand etc, and see Fields hold the ball - that's why. Good NFL QBs would get rid of the ball before the rush got to them. Yes sometimes it's the line, but a lot of times it was Fields.

FWIW Justin’s avg to hold the ball 3.08 seconds.  

CJ Stroud 3.01 seconds

Josh Dobbs 2.92 seconds

When it matters, is it because of the time the QB holds the ball of how long the QB had it in his hands while trying not to get sacked?  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/numbers-make-justin-fields-improvement-entirely-obvious

This post courtesy of Makers Mark 🥃

Grizz, are you actually arguing that Fields doesn't hold the ball too long?

I mean every article pro and con about Fields concedes that he holds the ball and is hesitant to pull the trigger. Some say hes getting better, some say its someone else's fault, Getsy, WRs, OL. Maybe thats true. But the idea that he doesn't have this problem at all is brand new to me.

We saw much lower sack percentages from other QBs playing behind the same OL under the same system, with the same WRs.

If Justin Fields was a GOAT QB, and just had this line and WR squad, we'd already know it. He isn't.

GB just put on a clinic in Dallas. Coaching matters, scheme matters. There were so many wide open receivers, some had 16+ yards of separation from the nearest defender, but this was all Jordan Love's doing:

2 minutes ago, adam said:

GB just put on a clinic in Dallas. Coaching matters, scheme matters. There were so many wide open receivers, some had 16+ yards of separation from the nearest defender, but this was all Jordan Love's doing:

coaching matters! Is there anyone here that wouldn't trade Matt Eberflus for Matt LaFleur striaght up right now?