Fields-O-Meter

adam

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree that if they take a high pick rookie QB, Fields will go. But whoever is in charge next year might want to sit that rookie for a month or more until they are ready. That's pretty normal like you said.

We could even sign a reasonably priced free agent like Glennon was as a placeholder for that month that you knew you were going to replace.

But i wonder. If we draft a high pick rookie QB, is Bagent good enough to be that one or two month guy? I kind of like that because it gives Bagent a chance to show hes ready, and if the rookie takes it from him with superior practices or bagent failing on the field, that's all good stuff to know. And if nothing else, it gives your backup more reps in case he is needed later because of injury or whatever.

Are people comfortable with Bagent being the interim QB while a rookie develops?

I am fine with Bagent and a rookie although I wouldn’t be opposed to a vet like Joe Flacco to have as well. 

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I am fine with Bagent and a rookie although I wouldn’t be opposed to a vet like Joe Flacco to have as well. 

sure, as long as we (the coaches and staff) all know the rookie is the expected winner when hes ready - not that we would hand anything to the rookie, but that the expected plan is that the rookie would take over on merit by midseasonish. Sort of like what we expected with Dalton and Fields. But hopefully they both play much better hahaha

meaning no big long deal for Flacco - or whoever plays that role

13 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Are people comfortable with Bagent being the interim QB while a rookie develops?

If everything remains the same schematically, 100% yes.  If you look at how quickly he picked up the offense and executed the things Justin still hasn't, year two of Bagent should show growth at a way faster rate.  What Bagent couldn't process was how NFL quality DB's close down a window.  You just don't see that from four years at Shepard.  He'll also continue to gain arm strength with pro coaching.  Year two of Bagent will be better than what we've seen of year three of Justin. (That's W's and eye test)

41 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

If everything remains the same schematically, 100% yes.  If you look at how quickly he picked up the offense and executed the things Justin still hasn't, year two of Bagent should show growth at a way faster rate.  What Bagent couldn't process was how NFL quality DB's close down a window.  You just don't see that from four years at Shepard.  He'll also continue to gain arm strength with pro coaching.  Year two of Bagent will be better than what we've seen of year three of Justin. (That's W's and eye test)

The thought of Bagent taking over as starting QB is intriguing. I don't think any of us took this guy seriously when he was on the bench. Sure, he had fantastic stats in college, but not against top caliber opponents. BUT, the dude BALLS! For as little time as he had to acclimate himself to the NFL, he did a fantastic job. With a year being tutored, and with the experience he gained in his brief stint as a starter, what can we expect to see the next time he steps on the field?

You never know. I am not saying he is the franchise QB of the future, but he might just well be a damn good QB that can win games with a good supporting cast.

9 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The thought of Bagent taking over as starting QB is intriguing. I don't think any of us took this guy seriously when he was on the bench. Sure, he had fantastic stats in college, but not against top caliber opponents. BUT, the dude BALLS! For as little time as he had to acclimate himself to the NFL, he did a fantastic job. With a year being tutored, and with the experience he gained in his brief stint as a starter, what can we expect to see the next time he steps on the field?

You never know. I am not saying he is the franchise QB of the future, but he might just well be a damn good QB that can win games with a good supporting cast.

yes, and Im only talking about having him start with a high first round pick rookie QB sitting for a month or two until hes ready?

Of course if Bagent shows us he is the man in that time, so much the better, and if the rookie wins out, then Bagent is better prepared as backup going forward. Id rather give Bagent the reps than some free agent who is gone after next year like Glennon/Dalton

To those thinking of taking a QB in the 3rd round or later, Id say Bagent is already that guy (at least)

Caller to the SCORE this morning said it best - "They need to fix themselves (their process of handling QBs) before they attempt to replace the QB". I am fine with them getting rid of Justin if they are making changes to the coaching staff that address how we handle/develop QBs. They cannot keep doing the same thing and expect it to work. 

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

Caller to the SCORE this morning said it best - "They need to fix themselves (their process of handling QBs) before they attempt to replace the QB". I am fine with them getting rid of Justin if they are making changes to the coaching staff that address how we handle/develop QBs. They cannot keep doing the same thing and expect it to work. 

Peace

Fully agree. Bringing in a new QB to this coaching staff, that is likely on their last year (if you keep them) is just repeating the same mistake we made with Trubisky and Fields. And what OC worth their salt would want to come here knowing Eberflus was on the hot seat?

I think you either keep them all, QB and coaches (with a new OC, and good luck finding a good one) or you dump them all. And I dont see a compelling reason to keep them.

We are so used to being horrible that anything that looks like 25th in the league looks like something to keep for some fans. The question to ask isnt are they improving, it's whether that improvement could end in a real Super Bowl contender.

Eberflus and Fields are getting better, but neither has shown evidence that they could end up leading a dominant team.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think you either keep them all, QB and coaches (with a new OC, and good luck finding a good one) or you dump them all. And I dont see a compelling reason to keep them.

On the contrary.  If there are guys out there that think they can do something with Fields why wouldn’t they want to try and prove themselves?  Similar to how Bienemy chose to change to Wash to try and shine on his own.  There’s a slew of potential wanna-bes out there.  

Kevin Patullo: current QB /Passing Coord for the Eagles.  Credited with some of the success for Hurts.  Also familiar with Ian Cunningham.

Zac Robinson: same job as Patullo but with the Rams.  Has been working under McVay for the last few years and if anything, those affiliated with McVay have shown success as of late (Matt Lafluer, Mike McDaniel and Kyle Shannahan among them).

Tanner Engstrand: also the same gig as the previous two but with the Lions.  Technically next in line if Ben Johnson gets snagged as an HC elsewhere.  

6 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Peace

Were you listening when Shaun King was on the SCORE today? I thought they were talking to his dad the way he was praisng Justin. An awful lot of former players sure are on Justins bandwagon. 

28 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

On the contrary.  If there are guys out there that think they can do something with Fields why wouldn’t they want to try and prove themselves?  Similar to how Bienemy chose to change to Wash to try and shine on his own.  There’s a slew of potential wanna-bes out there.  

Kevin Patullo: current QB /Passing Coord for the Eagles.  Credited with some of the success for Hurts.  Also familiar with Ian Cunningham.

Zac Robinson: same job as Patullo but with the Rams.  Has been working under McVay for the last few years and if anything, those affiliated with McVay have shown success as of late (Matt Lafluer, Mike McDaniel and Kyle Shannahan among them).

Tanner Engstrand: also the same gig as the previous two but with the Lions.  Technically next in line if Ben Johnson gets snagged as an HC elsewhere. 

OK, good optimistic take.

Certainly if Eberflus is retained, they'll get SOMEONE to be OC, and maybe they will be great, and save Fields and all of that.

I guess i just think there would be some candidates who would be out of the running for OC next year under Eberflus, who would definitely join a new coach here next year as OC instead, but no one who would come here next year under Eberflus would avoid the job because it wasnt Eberflus?

So I guess Im saying the talent pool is smaller if you keep Eberflus. But youre right, there are probably some very talented guys who would take the job, and maybe one would be the next NFL genius.

And you supplied names too, which is more than Ive got.

Jax is without QB Trevor Lawrence this week and Carolina could sneak a win throwing a wrench in this whole debate.

Nothing has been planned until the season is over.  There is no reason for Poles to play these games of who they want until the clock expires at Lambeau and then there is a small chance the season extends.  They can go from pick 1 to 3 at the top and then to 14 or so with their own if they win.   

Once the season is over, Poles and  Cunningham will complete exit interviews, discuss, and take their input to Warren on what they feel needs to happen to improve.  Then they will start the process of planning the offseason and meet with scouts for pro and college personnel and build a list to strategize the offseason with the capital they have.  They will meet and get a better feel for college players at the senior bowl and combine all while discussing with other teams on interest in making trades for their pick or possibly JF.  Once those events are over, then they will know the possible fate of "One" or JF.  This is my idiot logic.

I think there is only one player besides MHJ that they will take and that is Jayden Daniels. They will need to show love to Caleb but that is smoke which can give them two birds with one stone if their strategy falls right.  

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Certainly if Eberflus is retained, they'll get SOMEONE to be OC, and maybe they will be great, and save Fields and all of that.

I guess i just think there would be some candidates who would be out of the running for OC next year under Eberflus, who would definitely join a new coach here next year as OC instead, but no one who would come here next year under Eberflus would avoid the job because it wasnt Eberflus?

So I guess Im saying the talent pool is smaller if you keep Eberflus. But youre right, there are probably some very talented guys who would take the job, and maybe one would be the next NFL genius.

Although a bit of a retread, I’ve been hearing hype for Darrell Bevel.  

IMG_6298.jpeg

25 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Jax is without QB Trevor Lawrence this week and Carolina could sneak a win throwing a wrench in this whole debate.

Nothing has been planned until the season is over.  There is no reason for Poles to play these games of who they want until the clock expires at Lambeau and then there is a small chance the season extends.  They can go from pick 1 to 3 at the top and then to 14 or so with their own if they win.   

Once the season is over, Poles and  Cunningham will complete exit interviews, discuss, and take their input to Warren on what they feel needs to happen to improve.  Then they will start the process of planning the offseason and meet with scouts for pro and college personnel and build a list to strategize the offseason with the capital they have.  They will meet and get a better feel for college players at the senior bowl and combine all while discussing with other teams on interest in making trades for their pick or possibly JF.  Once those events are over, then they will know the possible fate of "One" or JF.  This is my idiot logic.

I think there is only one player besides MHJ that they will take and that is Jayden Daniels. They will need to show love to Caleb but that is smoke which can give them two birds with one stone if their strategy falls right.  

Youre right about the process, but i would bet Poles is already making lists of coaches, head coaches, defensive coordinators, offensive coordinators to cover every eventuality. The college coaches will all be in play shortly too, so he does need to do his due diligence on all his options right now.

Of course making a decision is different than setting out your options, especially if he's 100% keeping Eberflus.

But if he isn't keeping him, or isnt sure if hes keeping him, then I would bet he's already well along making lists of coaching names, maybe even sending unofficial feelers.

Coaches are deep in the season, but GMs are already looking to the next several months i would think.

As for players, which is what youre talking about, they would need to already know who the head coach is going to be, and likely the OC before they can make full decisions on QB. But I would also think that whatever Poles is expecting the outcome of all that process will be right now, is what it's gonna be after they go through all the motions.

So he knows, but he doesn't KNOW.

To be logical, Poles doesn't even KNOW hes gonna be GM next year, but I think we all pretty much know he will. And he knows that too.

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Although a bit of a retread, I’ve been hearing hype for Darrell Bevel.  

IMG_6298.jpeg

Wow you're doing research on OCs, good job . Poles had some interesting things to say in his interview he mentioned both coaches and players need to straighten things out. I don't think he liked Getsys play calling in those short yardage situations. Definitely think we get a new OC, all the good ones will be getting HC jobs, we need to  find an up and coming QB coach, or an offensive mind that has been forgotten along the way. Or a college coach looking for an  NFL future. Plenty of choices coming our way.

We are fortunate to have both Poles and Cunningham to figure it out with input from Warren. The more the better.

Here's Eberflus chatting up the players during warm ups. i have it time stamped at :40 which is where the Fields portion is.

Flus says to Fields "You got it 1 - Hey - every play's your play to make right?" and Fields is looking up at him in a positive and glowing way. Then Flus continues... "the simple ones" (and this is where he pounds Fields' chest for emphasis) and then he adds with less enthusiasm "and the amazing ones lets go" and at this point Fields looks embarrassed or disconnecting - not happy.

Wanna know what Eberflus thinks of Fields? that says a lot right there.

Eberflus: "You make the amazing plays, but just execute the simple ones ok?"
Fields: " ah man I know Im so sick of hearing it. arent the amazing plays what this is really all about? dont burden me with this corny small execute the play stuff"

I have no doubt others will interpet this all differently, but the moment Flus chooses to touch Fields, the change in Fields face and body language, and the tone and speed of Flus' words are pretty obvious.

I fear we will trade Fields and keep Eberflus, joining a THIRD rookie QB's entree into the NFL in a row to the last year of an outgoing coach's tenure.

If the timestamp doesnt work, its at 40 seconds

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Someone connected said Bears would just extend Flus 2 more years if they decided to keep him and move on from Getsy. By doing that Bears could still fire everyone a year from now (albeit with more of a cost) but by extending Flus coaches should feel a bit better taking an open coordinator gig. 

30 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Someone connected said Bears would just extend Flus 2 more years if they decided to keep him and move on from Getsy. By doing that Bears could still fire everyone a year from now (albeit with more of a cost) but by extending Flus coaches should feel a bit better taking an open coordinator gig. 

yeah that does address my point for sure, but yikes.

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Do they even disclose how long Flus' contract is for? Previously they have been tight lipped about it. I know for Nagy and Pace, there were whispers of extensions but no one really knew.

38 minutes ago, adam said:

Do they even disclose how long Flus' contract is for? Previously they have been tight lipped about it. I know for Nagy and Pace, there were whispers of extensions but no one really knew.

I agree Poles has been about as tight for information as you can get, he never lets any information out whether in the draft or on trades. he's full of surpises. If we win the last 2 games , I dont see Flus gone but Gesty is on thin ice. He picked Flus, its only yr 2 of his rebuild and yr 1c was a total tear down of the roster. The first yr was a wash, yet they were 7 games lost at the end of the game. Flus has bagage but you cant deny owning the locker room and the upscale defensive play.