The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a well crafted piece of PR. Im sure it has truth in it as well, and I doubt very much that he wrote it.

First off I am very glad he is remaining in the draft and not pulling a supplemental draft stunt. If he had not entered the draft, it would have put a serious crimp in the value of our first pick - whatever we choose to do with it. Unless we are taking Maye or Daniels with #1, Williams' absence would have cost us plenty.

Secondly, I'm not sold that he's a team player. I think the things he's said and the things his father has said are red flags. Im not saying they would prevent me from taking Williams - I still need to see a lot more film before I have an opinion on any of that. But he's been arrogant, selfish and egotistical, and it does cause me more than some concern.

That fact that he even had to write this letter is evidence of the problem.

This will require more watching and attention -  but I'm glad he is in the draft for sure. it would have been much worse if he wasn't.

Sheesh what a mess.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Officially official:

that he had to add "enters the process excited for whoever ends up selecting him." is spin for a problem Caleb has created.

56 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

A lot of that stuff he said in his interview with Holly Rowe.  Can't wait to see the whole dive into him to so we can get to the truth.

it'll be mixed. my GUESS is that by March we will be in love with him as an athlete, and tell ourselves hes not a character risk. One one hand i could easily allow myself to be really down on him, and hope for Maye or Daniels or something, and on the other hand, he might really just be that good.

But he could have kept his ego in check just a few times and been Captain America instead. And that's a mistake no matter what happens from here.

I am so excited. Have the Bears ever selected a qb at #1 overall? And to have a prospect like Caleb there. Not saying I guarantee success but I am so excited about the possibility. Having the 9th pick overall as well and cap space plus a qb who they can trade for value. 

Only thing limiting my excitement is fact we don’t know who the oc is. It still baffles me when you have #1 pick that they don’t fully restart with an offensive minded HC. With that said, there are some solid and experienced oc candidates available. 

20 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I am so excited. Have the Bears ever selected a qb at #1 overall? And to have a prospect like Caleb there. Not saying I guarantee success but I am so excited about the possibility. Having the 9th pick overall as well and cap space plus a qb who they can trade for value. 

Only thing limiting my excitement is fact we don’t know who the oc is. It still baffles me when you have #1 pick that they don’t fully restart with an offensive minded HC. With that said, there are some solid and experienced oc candidates available. 

If they take a QB at #1, I will be excited for sure, and I will root for them to develop and ball out. I was over the moon when we got Justin Fields. Even as recently as the beginning of this season I was telling everyone this was Fields' year and he was gonna destroy the league.

I'll feel the same about whoever we draft. But Im not gonna lie. If we trade down to #3, and get Daniels or Maye Im gonna be just as excited and a little less apprehensive.

BUT after I watch all the film in Feb and March, I might become a total Williams fan too. Right now I only know the extra stuff, and I surely dont like it.

But if Caleb is the man, and he is a Bear, I'm gonna be hopeful for that too.

18 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I find it hard to believe someone could write all that and yet not name a single person they wanted to thank.  This reads like a Hallmark card.  

for sure, definitely written by a PR agent

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I find it hard to believe someone could write all that and yet not name a single person they wanted to thank.  This reads like a Hallmark card.  

He's not giving any names because he's a kid that is really thinking it is all him, his work, his vision, me, me, me. He's thanking himself. Sounds like an entitled prick. But hey, if he brings us several Super Bowls I could swallow my disdain. 

8 hours ago, ChileBear said:

He's not giving any names because he's a kid that is really thinking it is all him, his work, his vision, me, me, me. He's thanking himself. Sounds like an entitled prick. But hey, if he brings us several Super Bowls I could swallow my disdain. 

That's kinda rough

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's kinda rough

When he says he doesn't want the Bears to draft him and his dad hints he would want ownership shares in the team, yes I think he's acting like an entitled child. 

4 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

There's no shortage of folks willing to do the same and disregard the all the ethical issues with Harbaugh.  This is just a 2023 list.  

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2024/1/1/24017858/michigan-rose-bowl-jim-harbaugh-suspension

There's an anouncer on Fox radio Sundays that played for the Pats and other teams and he contends Harbaugh is a quick fix at the pro level, but after two or three years the players get tired of being trated like college kids and revolt. Says he's heard it from several players from their time with him at SF.

14 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

When he says he doesn't want the Bears to draft him and his dad hints he would want ownership shares in the team, yes I think he's acting like an entitled child. 

He hasn't said any of that. Some random twitter person said it. The person who said it just made it up. This is a kid who played at OU and USC.  Those are two programs where you are under intense scrutiny. No where has anything ever came out that said anything other than he works his tail off and is a solid lockeroom guy.

But some random on twitter who paid 8 bucks for a verification who has a history of making up everything (its a parody account) says something and now it is all out there.  Bears need to do their diligence everywhere on him, period.  

4 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

He hasn't said any of that. Some random twitter person said it. The person who said it just made it up. This is a kid who played at OU and USC.  Those are two programs where you are under intense scrutiny. No where has anything ever came out that said anything other than he works his tail off and is a solid lockeroom guy.

But some random on twitter who paid 8 bucks for a verification who has a history of making up everything (its a parody account) says something and now it is all out there.  Bears need to do their diligence everywhere on him, period.  

Disagree with you, but you've got a right to your opinion. I've watched him here in So Cal and I believe it all. Strikes me as the same as the Ball family in basketball.

21 hours ago, ChileBear said:

Disagree with you, but you've got a right to your opinion. I've watched him here in So Cal and I believe it all. Strikes me as the same as the Ball family in basketball.

Is it cockiness, arrogance, or selfishness? 

24 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

All three? And probably what you want in your QB, e.g. Rogers?

it depends. over competitive - great. cocky - cool. but selfishness can go two ways. If it meets adversity and manifests as "whatever" withdrawing like Jay Cutler did, then its a problem.

Im not saying thats Williams, but I am concerned and looking for more info.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

it depends. over competitive - great. cocky - cool. but selfishness can go two ways. If it meets adversity and manifests as "whatever" withdrawing like Jay Cutler did, then its a problem.

Im not saying thats Williams, but I am concerned and looking for more info.

Yep. I saw many times that Rogers gave up, blamed everyone else in games and pouted on the sidelines. That is not what a leader dos.

40 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

With the current alleged support for Fields in the locker room and they bring in a guy who is this way, could be a problem.  

Oh yeah. And what I've seen Williams can be an aloof sob. That's just my o.

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

With the current alleged support for Fields in the locker room and they bring in a guy who is this way, could be a problem.  

I agree that if someone has personality problems it can hurt a locker room. But as far as loyalty to Justin is concerned, if they trade Justin, and draft lets say, Drake Maye, no one will blame Maye for that, and if he gets them the ball on time, and wins games, they will love him.

If on the other hand, they draft Williams and he sucks as a person (does he? I dunno yet) then regardless of Fields, guys wont like him.

So I think its just more about drafting leaders, and that goes for any QB on any team, than any left over loyalty to Justin?

• adam unfeatured this topic