The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

35 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Anyone see the Kevin Warren interview by Jarrett Peyton? He sure does give the impression Fields isn't going anywhere. He doesn't have the final say but he's a Justin fan.

https://youtu.be/a_gMxZF0bVA?si=bwXeCVJ_3yHyzDuD

This was really interesting - I do think it goes back - Bears GM and front office and players are all genuine. Fields is a great lockeroom guy and a great leader.   I think everyone genuinely likes him and believes he will continue to get better. Just because all those things are true doesn't mean you stick with that individual and if nothing else - I think this continues to build up the value of Fields (and I don't think it does anything to hurt the value of #1 either).  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Williams' play style looks a lot more like prime Russell Wilson to me than Patrick Mahomes.

Yeah, he is more Russ and Kyler than Mahomes. Some analysts have even said his quick release looks a lot like Rodgers. So he is basically Russell Rodgers or Aaron Murray.

48 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, he is more Russ and Kyler than Mahomes. Some analysts have even said his quick release looks a lot like Rodgers. So he is basically Russell Rodgers or Aaron Murray.

He moves a little like Wilson, but his arm is quick and elite like Rodgers.  I don't see Murray...

52 minutes ago, adam said:

Seen a breakdown of Williams passing stats for last year and  in 50 dropbacks , he held the ball over 6 seconds. 50 seems like a lot to me.

6 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This was really interesting - I do think it goes back - Bears GM and front office and players are all genuine. Fields is a great lockeroom guy and a great leader.   I think everyone genuinely likes him and believes he will continue to get better. Just because all those things are true doesn't mean you stick with that individual and if nothing else - I think this continues to build up the value of Fields (and I don't think it does anything to hurt the value of #1 either).  

They still could be drafting a QB, but his conversation isn't hearsay, he's in the room when these things are discussed. People place value on other peoples opinions, yet dismissing Warren's statements? That doesn't compute.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

They still could be drafting a QB, but his conversation isn't hearsay, he's in the room when these things are discussed. People place value on other peoples opinions, yet dismissing Warren's statements? That doesn't compute.

Warren is only leaking how valuable he sees JF to help set the market. There might be a stipulation placed on trading him like 1st rd or nothing. The Bears will listen to all trade proposals for the first overall and JF and want to get the max on all opportunities.

3 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Warren is only leaking how valuable he sees JF to help set the market. There might be a stipulation placed on trading him like 1st rd or nothing. The Bears will listen to all trade proposals for the first overall and JF and want to get the max on all opportunities.

it is the season of smokescreens for sure.

39 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Yes, I agree anything they do to promote Justin increases the trade value but you can't exclude the prospect, he's just being honest. I don't think they have any definitive choices but all options are viable choices.Watched  a video discussing the chance of them trading to 2 and then down again and that producing a ton of draft capital for the next few years. That could set a franchise ahead for an long success run. Imagine multi first round picks and seconds for the next two years plus the chance to continue that cycle for years to come.

14 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Yes, I agree anything they do to promote Justin increases the trade value but you can't exclude the prospect, he's just being honest. I don't think they have any definitive choices but all options are viable choices.Watched  a video discussing the chance of them trading to 2 and then down again and that producing a ton of draft capital for the next few years. That could set a franchise ahead for an long success run. Imagine multi first round picks and seconds for the next two years plus the chance to continue that cycle for years to come.

Imagine passing on a QB that's better than Justin and the Bears continuing to lose games because our QB can't lead a fourth quarter rally. Hey, we are doing that now. So, given our position, I'm hoping Poles gets us a new QB that, for the least, we can win some of those games in the fourth quarter.

3 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

Imagine passing on a QB that's better than Justin and the Bears continuing to lose games because our QB can't lead a fourth quarter rally. Hey, we are doing that now. So, given our position, I'm hoping Poles gets us a new QB that, for the least, we can win some of those games in the fourth quarter.

Yes that is a possibility , I will trust Poles to make the right decision whether I agree or not because he is doing the deep dive we don't get privy to. I think he will bring in a new QB, not sure if that is Williams or someone else AND keep Justin one more year. That is one option that is still on the table. Why? because the only QB that is supposed tor be ready to start day one according to experts is Williams. I can  see KC 2018 playing out.

18 hours ago, ChileBear said:

I would say "projected to be better than" as he hasn't taken an NFL snap yet. The projections are very positive and he can still be a bust but odds are he will be at least good to really good.

Defenses don't fear the Bears offense. Actually, you can tell the defenses dictate what the offense does when it should be the other way around. Outside of Justin's scrambling ability when they lose contain, Moore was the only threat.

5 minutes ago, adam said:

I would say "projected to be better than" as he hasn't taken an NFL snap yet. The projections are very positive and he can still be a bust but odds are he will be at least good to really good.

Defenses don't fear the Bears offense. Actually, you can tell the defenses dictate what the offense does when it should be the other way around. Outside of Justin's scrambling ability when they lose contain, Moore was the only threat.

One of Fields flaws is holding the ball to long. Caleb does the same thing. Seen a video of his passing zones break down and the majority of his throws are short zones. No problem getting them out quickly there but when he has deep routes , same as Justin. A lot of Justin's flaws are Caleb's flaws. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Indeed.  Just as the recent 'discussion' we had that reflected that aside from the passing yardage, both Williams and Fields collegiate stats were pretty similar.  And at the risk of going on "ad nauseum" I'd still give the favorable lean to Justin due to his reaching the college playoffs and playing pretty well while doing so (I know, no surprise). 

That being said, I'm beginning to resign myself to the idea that Justin will be traded.  Obviously I still think it'll be a mistake and we'll end up regretting it but only time will prove me wrong or right.  I'm of the mindset like Merrill Hoge that Williams is "nothing special" and so far the projections are not showing anything to make me say "wow, this is the guy we need".  A big reason I'm not on the Williams bandwagon is that I feel there is much more value in trading the #1 for more parts and pieces to build the team (around either Justin or a later picked QB).  

Earlier today I watched a video that was doing an analysis of the potential trade of Justin and it involved a panel of four to include Louis Riddick.  He said something I've heard here and agree with, that being:  "Justin was not set up to succeed (in Chicago)".  And added that the "rationale (of we already know Justin Fields compared to what Williams could do) is not a direct correlation."  Oddly enough Riddick was defending the idea of keeping Justin as recent as three weeks ago.  Now he said he feels Justin would excel with either Pittsburgh or more likely in Atlanta.  And that's what concerns me.   

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Indeed.  Just as the recent 'discussion' we had that reflected that aside from the passing yardage, both Williams and Fields collegiate stats were pretty similar.  And at the risk of going on "ad nauseum" I'd still give the favorable lean to Justin due to his reaching the college playoffs and playing pretty well while doing so (I know, no surprise). 

That being said, I'm beginning to resign myself to the idea that Justin will be traded.  Obviously I still think it'll be a mistake and we'll end up regretting it but only time will prove me wrong or right.  I'm of the mindset like Merrill Hoge that Williams is "nothing special" and so far the projections are not showing anything to make me say "wow, this is the guy we need".  A big reason I'm not on the Williams bandwagon is that I feel there is much more value in trading the #1 for more parts and pieces to build the team (around either Justin or a later picked QB).  

Earlier today I watched a video that was doing an analysis of the potential trade of Justin and it involved a panel of four to include Louis Riddick.  He said something I've heard here and agree with, that being:  "Justin was not set up to succeed (in Chicago)".  And added that the "rationale (of we already know Justin Fields compared to what Williams could do) is not a direct correlation."  Oddly enough Riddick was defending the idea of keeping Justin as recent as three weeks ago.  Now he said he feels Justin would excel with either Pittsburgh or more likely in Atlanta.  And that's what concerns me.   

The echo chamber is so move on from Justin, people like us that would be okay if he came back get drowned out. I see positives with every choice Poles makes. If it's take Williams, I fully expect Poles to vent him to make sure he won't fail. For me it's the assuming that Williams is great without all the venting getting done. If he is, I'll be first in line to cheer the move. Just not there yet. As far as other QBs not sure any have great written all over them but may develop into stars. That's where the option of keep Fields and draft a prospect to develop and change when the time comes to do that. The only rookie QB that played great in the last few years, Stroud, that's not the norm.

Now if someone gives a first rounder for Justin that changes the option. Most GMs think two or lower but if someone gets dumb, Poles will have to take the option. People that condemn Justin and then turn around and think he deserves a first round pick for him confuses me. I think he succeeds whether here or somewhere else but if Williams is that star it won't matter.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Here is one way to look at it. Last year Poles said he had to be blown away by a prospect to keep the pick. He wasn't blown away by Stroud or Young. However, I bet he was blown away by Williams last year. Since then, Williams has lost some of his luster. Even then, he was so far ahead of the next guy that he is still the #1 pick, but he is no longer the second coming.

8 minutes ago, adam said:

Here is one way to look at it. Last year Poles said he had to be blown away by a prospect to keep the pick. He wasn't blown away by Stroud or Young. However, I bet he was blown away by Williams last year. Since then, Williams has lost some of his luster. Even then, he was so far ahead of the next guy that he is still the #1 pick, but he is no longer the second coming.

Agree with all of that. Last year everyone thought we would take Carter when he fell to nine, yet he took a OL building block because of character questions on Carter. The same thing could happen this year if Williams has some issues. Poles thinks he can win with Justin over a QB prospect that needs to be developed , so option 3 may be into play. We get to see the free agency period in a few weeks so the QB question will get put to rest for awhile, thank God.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Agree with all of that. Last year everyone thought we would take Carter when he fell to nine, yet he took a OL building block because of character questions on Carter. The same thing could happen this year if Williams has some issues. Poles thinks he can win with Justin over a QB prospect that needs to be developed , so option 3 may be into play. We get to see the free agency period in a few weeks so the QB question will get put to rest for awhile, thank 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Agree with all of that. Last year everyone thought we would take Carter when he fell to nine, yet he took a OL building block because of character questions on Carter. The same thing could happen this year if Williams has some issues. Poles thinks he can win with Justin over a QB prospect that needs to be developed , so option 3 may be into play. We get to see the free agency period in a few weeks so the QB question will get put to rest for awhile, thank 

I hope you're right but I suspect it could be a draft day move. 

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Interesting thoughts.

Has anyone ever had success after first three years of stats equivalent to JF?

You can blame the line, coaching, lack of weapons, weather, black magic or any other excuse but the bottom line is the guy sucked.  
One can always find a statistic or opinion to suit their narrative, but consensus is that Williams is special and a generational player .  How many more chances will we have to get a player like that?

3 hours ago, Daventry said:

Interesting thoughts.

Has anyone ever had success after first three years of stats equivalent to JF?

You can blame the line, coaching, lack of weapons, weather, black magic or any other excuse but the bottom line is the guy sucked.  
One can always find a statistic or opinion to suit their narrative, but consensus is that Williams is special and a generational player .  How many more chances will we have to get a player like that?

Actually there is no consensus, you need to read more . Majority is not the same as 100%. As far as Justin he has a lot of flaws but sucked is a term you use for Nathan Peterman,  you're bias is showing.

You got Matt Ryan and Kurt Warner saying they should draft a QB and Ryan Leaf and Dan Orlovsky saying they should keep Fields. 

I am going to laugh when everyone is wrong and they sign Kirk Cousins lol.

57 minutes ago, adam said:

You got Matt Ryan and Kurt Warner saying they should draft a QB and Ryan Leaf and Dan Orlovsky saying they should keep Fields. 

I am going to laugh when everyone is wrong and they sign Kirk Cousins lol.

Everyone has an opinion which just fuels the fire of the ( who's the QB). 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Everyone has an opinion which just fuels the fire of the ( who's the QB). 

The best part, which some people are missing is, this really is a no-lose situation. Poles has had 2x get out of jail free cards, last year and this year. If they run it back with Fields, he will have a mountain of draft capital to play with (I would even expect a trade up at some point). If they go with Williams, his floor makes it fairly low risk and the QB clock is reset, allowing them to sign some bigger names and retain more of their guys as they hit FA. 

• adam unfeatured this topic