The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this, but have no idea if the guy is blowing smoke. Does anyone know this guy from Sportskeeda, Tony Pauline? Hell, I haven't even heard of Sportskeeda. LOL

The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reported that there isn’t much of a trade market for the electric quarterback, calling it “soft for now.” But that’s not what another NFL insider is saying.

According to Tony Pauline of Sportskeeda, the Bears are close to finalizing a deal that would send Fields to the Atlanta Falcons. Pauline isn’t sure if something will be announced before the NFL Combine ends this weekend and doesn’t list any sort of compensation the Bears would receive in return.

39 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Just read this, but have no idea if the guy is blowing smoke. Does anyone know this guy from Sportskeeda, Tony Pauline? Hell, I haven't even heard of Sportskeeda. LOL

We know that's not coming from Poles.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

it certainly is the smoke season - lots of disinformation pro and con, especially around trade values.

But at the end of the day, if more than one team actually wants Fields, then the price will go up, and if there's only one, it goes down.

And yeah, what the hell is sportskeeda? LOL

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

He could be a sneaky pick for Poles at QB, which could be gotten at 9. (?) Poles passed on QBs last year and the top rated player in the draft ( Carter) for a RT.  He is a proven winning QB, lacks stats because he was on a rush first team but has all the traits.

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

A bit heavier (sturdier) at 227 and clocked a 4.45 40 time in the combine where Williams is thought to be between 4.57-4.60

Fields is clearly the more athletic QB, probably top 3 in the NFL. He is basically Daniels with 20 more lbs of muscle. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

He could be a sneaky pick for Poles at QB, which could be gotten at 9. (?) Poles passed on QBs last year and the top rated player in the draft ( Carter) for a RT.  He is a proven winning QB, lacks stats because he was on a rush first team but has all the traits.

Can you imagine the madness if something like that went all the way up until the Bears were on the clock during the draft, everyone is expecting them to announce Williams and then they announce a trade? Total bedlam! 

40 minutes ago, adam said:

Can you imagine the madness if something like that went all the way up until the Bears were on the clock during the draft, everyone is expecting them to announce Williams and then they announce a trade? Total bedlam! 

I don't think it's set in stone he's going to draft Caleb at number one as the total football world thinks he is. If he does a historic trade down or downs and brings in 5 or 6 blue chip players, he will go to the GM Hall of Fame in his 3 rd year. That is still in play. If he likes another QB and takes a few trades, he would ignite the football frenzy that we already have. 

Another thing to consider is no one is offering a 1 st, or even a second round for Justin, he's not taking 3 rd picks for Justin. He will do something to surprise us.

55 minutes ago, adam said:

I don't think it's set in stone he's going to draft Caleb at number one as the total football world thinks he is. If he does a historic trade down or downs and brings in 5 or 6 blue chip players, he will go to the GM Hall of Fame in his 3 rd year. That is still in play. If he likes another QB and takes a few trades, he would ignite the football frenzy that we already have. 

Another thing to consider is no one is offering a 1 st, or even a second round for Justin, he's not taking 3 rd picks for Justin. He will do something to surprise us.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Oh no, nothing is set in stone. 

The speculation about Fields' value is interesting. Just a few weeks ago people were talking about a 1st, now magically, with what seems like overnight, his value has dropped to a 3rd? Darnold got a 2nd, 4th, and a 6th. The 2nd and 4th were for the following year, so the draft value was equivalent to the 1st pick in the 3rd round of the current year's draft. I 

So it would shock me if Fields got less than that. If they only get a 3rd, then it will have to come with a 4th or next year's 3rd as well. Otherwise, the total comp would be less than what NY got for Darnold. I would rather just have a 2nd and be done with it, if that is the route they are going to go. A 2nd rounder is super valuable in this year's draft. The depth at key positions for the Bears is wild.

I actually expect Poles to use one of his 2x 2nds from 2025 to do some movement this year. They could pair this year's 3rd and next year's 2nd to move into this year's 2nd round. If they don't trade down, they are going to have to do some wiggling to get back into the 2nd.

59 minutes ago, adam said:

A 2nd rounder is super valuable in this year's draft. The depth at key positions for the Bears is wild.

Poles has definitely feasted on the positions that were deepest in each of the last two drafts, and I suppose by random distribution, it works out that the positions we still need are deeper this year because they were not around the past two years.

This is what staying disciplined get you, and Poles has surely done that.

Not that it matters as it is one combine, but from my eye Bo Nix did not look like an NFL starter. 

McCarthy has tools tools tools and Penix can fling it. Tennessee qb has a hell of an arm. 

Rome is clearly a top 10 pick and Legette sure looks the part. One of my favorite 2nd tier wideouts. Such a good wide out crop. 

6 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Not that it matters as it is one combine, but from my eye Bo Nix did not look like an NFL starter. 

McCarthy has tools tools tools and Penix can fling it. Tennessee qb has a hell of an arm. 

Rome is clearly a top 10 pick and Legette sure looks the part. One of my favorite 2nd tier wideouts. Such a good wide out crop. 

It feels like if Nabers or Odunze are not there at #9, the Bears will look to trade back and could possibly double down on WR in the first 3 rounds. It is a very deep group. 

6 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

You are correct sir.  Nix is an older Bagent.  Leggette is an absolute mutant.  He made some money yesterday.  McCarthy was outstanding on the in and out routes.  His warmup partner was Jerry Rice.  He missed a few of the go routes, overthrowing each recorder by the exact route.  Milton is a physical specimen with a cannon.  The backs from Tennessee and Texas really impressed us.

With the Free agency period starting next week, the first thing that will be a sign of what's coming is Justin won't be traded. The predictions that we're drafting Caleb will take a hit when their prediction( Justin gets traded right away). I think it is more likely the first pick gets traded . That will be stroking the fires of social media. 

45 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

With the Free agency period starting next week, the first thing that will be a sign of what's coming is Justin won't be traded. The predictions that we're drafting Caleb will take a hit when their prediction( Justin gets traded right away). I think it is more likely the first pick gets traded . That will be stroking the fires of social media. 

There are only so many outcomes. Free Agency is impacted by Poles' decision. He has to know what route he is going because guys like Christian Wilkins and some others are not expected to be tagged, which is going to make the first few days of free agency pretty wild.

Either way, I just want to know so I can update my mock drafts. :)

30 minutes ago, adam said:

There are only so many outcomes. Free Agency is impacted by Poles' decision. He has to know what route he is going because guys like Christian Wilkins and some others are not expected to be tagged, which is going to make the first few days of free agency pretty wild.

Either way, I just want to know so I can update my mock drafts. :)

If we go by his first 2 years of the off-season, he will sign one expensive contract. That may very well be JJ but I think JJ gets tagged. Lots of Ss, WRs and fortunately centers. A couple middling signing.

Last year. Edmunds was the big contract

Last year. Edwards, Davis, Nagakoue were midrange

Lesser contracts. Travis Homer, Demarcus Walker, Foreman, Tonyan, Billings . 

He will have a similar off season.

People are still clinging to threads of hope, but Justin is not going to be on the Bears roster next year. The fact is that he is not a good QB. He hasnt won games or put up stats. And it's really late in the game for this to still be bubbling up. It was over a couple months ago already.

22 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

People are still clinging to threads of hope, but Justin is not going to be on the Bears roster next year. The fact is that he is not a good QB. He hasnt won games or put up stats. And it's really late in the game for this to still be bubbling up. It was over a couple months ago already.

It is still a possibility, but highly unlikely. I would say it was 40/60 that he may come back when the season ended and has slowly shifted towards probably 20/80 or more. 

What is super wild is, what if the Bears won 2 of the games they blew leads in, say Detroit and Cleveland, finished 9-8, but missed the playoffs. At that point, they would then have a late-teens pick with the #1 pick. Would they keep Justin, even if he had the same exact stats, but the defense held up for one drive in each of those games? The outlook on his performance might be considerably different if they finished with a winning record. The fact that he went 5-8 and Bagent somehow pulled 2-2 out of his butt is pretty hard evidence towards the QB not being a big factor in the outcome of games. 

8 minutes ago, adam said:

It is still a possibility, but highly unlikely. I would say it was 40/60 that he may come back when the season ended and has slowly shifted towards probably 20/80 or more. 

What is super wild is, what if the Bears won 2 of the games they blew leads in, say Detroit and Cleveland, finished 9-8, but missed the playoffs. At that point, they would then have a late-teens pick with the #1 pick. Would they keep Justin, even if he had the same exact stats, but the defense held up for one drive in each of those games? The outlook on his performance might be considerably different if they finished with a winning record. The fact that he went 5-8 and Bagent somehow pulled 2-2 out of his butt is pretty hard evidence towards the QB not being a big factor in the outcome of games. 

It's a mathematical possibility, but in realty, I think we could all see where Justin was headed by the end of November.

I think without a top QB youre not really competing for the superbowl. If we couldnt draft a top prospect what would we do? We'd do what most teams would do and put someone at QB, either Justin or some free agent, or a McCarthy or something - but it wouldnt matter, wed have zero chance of winning a superbowl any time soon.

This offseason has really brought it home to me - if Atlanta signs Fields, they KNOW they arent trying to really win a superbowl, theyre filling seats. Justin makes highlights, not wins.

In a way the whole NFL is just exhibition except for a few teams that are in contention. The rest is drama narrative to fill our days and make us click on stuff.

I never realized it that starkly until I started figuring out the opportunity we have here and what it would really take. It's crazy that we even have a shot at a QB like this at all. Most teams don't any given year.

As for the role of a QB in winning vs a deep roster, youre talking about playing other exhibition teams, youre not talking about beating a great one deep in the playoffs. That's a whole other level. You need a QB that can defeat their QB for that.

If we dont have someone that has a decent chance to defeat Mahomes, then we arent really on anyh kind of reliable path to win a superbowl. A couple teams have lucked into one on a year where the ball didnt bounce Brady or Mahomes way, but thats a dream not a plan.

• adam unfeatured this topic