Would you?

Connorbear

12 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

If Marvin Harrison Jr. falls to 5, would you trade the #9 pick and our first round pick next year to move up and draft him?

Peace

Personally, I wouldn't. Maybe our #9 and our 2nd from next year - which will hopefully be around pick #64 😉

I love Nabers and RO as much as Harrison. All three have the potential to be future Pro Bowlers and top-five WRs.

I havent watched enough film on them to say. Right now, I think that MHJr, Nabers and Odunze are kind of grouped together. But that's just because of stuff I've read. Some people say MHJr is the next coming, and others say he is one of three exceptional talents this year.

So I'll answer this way:

*IF* my scouts and my film study are telling me that MHJr is the best WR in 10 years, then yes, I would look at trading up for him. I dont think next years 2nd would do it. I think wed have to give next years first and get back a teams 2nd this year.

So our #9 and next years first for #4 or #5 to get MHJr and their this years 2nd.

If I thought he was going to be Randy Moss, yes I would do that.

But anything less, and no, I'll wait for #9, and if my guys arent there, possibly even trade back a little, maybe to #11 and get Thomas, maybe as far down as #18 and take an OL or DL

I wouldn't.  I believe he has been over hyped, with me being complicit as well. The more I see and hear, he has the biggest bust potential of the big three.  Folks talk about Odunze making a lot of congested catches, for to lack of separation.  I see the same with MHJ.  He didn't work out in any of the explosion drills, which may have seen him running in the 4.5's.  He was smart to rest on his laurels and not jeopardize anything with a bad forty.  MHJ definitely has the pedigree, skill set and production though.  

Didn't get me wrong, I think he's worth drafting highly, just not trading up for.

3 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I wouldn't.  I believe he has been over hyped, with me being complicit as well. The more I see and hear, he has the biggest bust potential of the big three.  Folks talk about Odunze making a lot of congested catches, for to lack of separation.  I see the same with MHJ.  He didn't work out in any of the explosion drills, which may have seen him running in the 4.5's.  He was smart to rest on his laurels and not jeopardize anything with a bad forty.  MHJ definitely has the pedigree, skill set and production though.  

Didn't get me wrong, I think he's worth drafting highly, just not trading up for.

Yeah you gotta KNOW this guy is gonna be the best WR in the league, or I'm not trading up either.

Maybe if I did more work, I'd be convicted on it, who knows what Poles thinks, he's certainly seen all sides of this question.

I would not trade next year's FRP to move up for anyone in this draft (knowing we already have Caleb at 1). Not happening.  Would I trade my 2nd - sure. I would prefer to do it for Joe Alt though.  I think the odds ALt is way better than every other LT in this draft are > than the odds that MHJ is better than every wideout in this draft (heck - even the odds that any of the top 3 are better than the rest of the wideouts in this draft to me is lower than the odds Alt > any other LT in this draft).  

But I'm biased and I think Alt is a legit blue chip LT.  My opinion doesn't matter but if Poles did - I think that is the guy you move up for.  On Rome - I love his personality and it seems like he has a strong work ethic (by all accounts) - but I do get worried the lack of seperation really limits him in the long-run (yeah he makes contested catches in college - how well does that sort of trait translate to NFL where it is more contested and the dudes hitting you are bigger, faster, stronger).  

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Yes, I would actually.  I assume our pick is gonna be in the 24 range in an unknown quality draft 

Even with a great Caleb year, you have to remember this is suddenly a tough division - two playoff teams above us plus Minnesota will be getting a rookie QB but gets to throw to Addison and Jefferson which is pretty great.  

7 hours ago, Connorbear said:

If Marvin Harrison Jr. falls to 5, would you trade the #9 pick and our first round pick next year to move up and draft him?

Peace

I would not. The value of a first round pick is huge when you consider the 5th year option. So any trade that takes away a 1st rounder would be a no-go for me. 

There are enough metrics and analysts out there who don't have MHJ as WR1. That alone would make me hesitate on something like that.

8 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Peace

No too rich for me.  Also the drop off to the 3rd or even 4th/5th best WRs isn't that great this year.   We also have Bowers out there as a really good receiving option, and with the right supporting cast he might pose more of a problem to defenses than Harrison.  

I wouldn't do it just because of the value of the pick. Look at trades the last few years. We got Allen with a 4th. All kinds of examples of high end players going for mid round picks. With a potential generational QB, lesser talented WRs can be great.

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

No too rich for me.  Also the drop off to the 3rd or even 4th/5th best WRs isn't that great this year.   We also have Bowers out there as a really good receiving option, and with the right supporting cast he might pose more of a problem to defenses than Harrison.  

I agree with that. Lots of people dismiss a great TE but if he's George Kittle, even with Kmet, that is a nightmare for DCs. The physically of TEs is already a challenge, but imagine 3 good catching TEs on the field at one time with DJ as your lone WR 

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We also have Bowers out there as a really good receiving option, and with the right supporting cast he might pose more of a problem to defenses than Harrison. 

Bowers will be a problem if he goes to the right situation. (In a good way) He can line up anywhere on the field.  Deebo can't even do that.  I said it months ago, that I believe he might be the best weapon in the draft.

20 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I would not trade next year's FRP to move up for anyone in this draft (knowing we already have Caleb at 1). Not happening.  Would I trade my 2nd - sure. I would prefer to do it for Joe Alt though.  I think the odds ALt is way better than every other LT in this draft are > than the odds that MHJ is better than every wideout in this draft (heck - even the odds that any of the top 3 are better than the rest of the wideouts in this draft to me is lower than the odds Alt > any other LT in this draft).  

But I'm biased and I think Alt is a legit blue chip LT.  My opinion doesn't matter but if Poles did - I think that is the guy you move up for.  On Rome - I love his personality and it seems like he has a strong work ethic (by all accounts) - but I do get worried the lack of seperation really limits him in the long-run (yeah he makes contested catches in college - how well does that sort of trait translate to NFL where it is more contested and the dudes hitting you are bigger, faster, stronger).  

Agree with this.   

I'd rather stay put at #9 or move down a little if multiple guys we like are there at #9.  If we did trade up I'd rather do it for a potentially generational talent at a position of higher need.   Moving up to get MHJ especially if it requires our next years 1st, to me is too rich a price to give up for what would be essentially a luxury pick.  Like you if we did move up at all I'd rather it be for someone like Alt.  

Let's say for the sake of argument 4 of the top 9 picks will be QBs.   That leaves 4 non quarterbacks taken ahead of us at 9.  Likely at least 2 of those 4 would be WR's (MHJ, Malik, or Rome).  Alt will be in there some where along with possibly Turner or Bowers.   We could stay at 9 and possibly end up with one of the top 3 WR's, Turner, Fuaga, etc.   Moving up for Alt would cost us less because we wouldn't have to move up as high.   

5 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

ALt has routinely slipped to 9 or 10 in simulations. He could be a realistic target without a trade up.  

Cool.  I didn’t know that.  But simulations are far different than what happens when humans get involved.  

On 4/18/2024 at 1:14 PM, Connorbear said:

Peace

No. The Bears can go without a 1st round WR with other holes to fill and a draft deep in WRs.

I wouldn't trade up for MHJ. I also believe that Nabors or Odunze will be available at 9. Minnesota did not acquire two first round picks to stay back and wait for a replacement for Cousins. I believe 4 QBs will go in the top 10 and maybe the top 5. That number 4 pick is where the most likely spot for Harrison to go. AZ already having 2 1st rounders may be tough to move of 4 but, the Chargers with a new HC and GM may be willing to deal as well as NYG at 6. Tenn at 7 and ATL 8 aren't WR spots.

Poles has made 21 picks in his 2 drafts and I'm okay with him staying with 4 picks and will consider Sweat, Allen and Bates as part of this draft.   

7 hours ago, lemonej said:

I wouldn't trade up for MHJ. I also believe that Nabors or Odunze will be available at 9. Minnesota did not acquire two first round picks to stay back and wait for a replacement for Cousins. I believe 4 QBs will go in the top 10 and maybe the top 5. That number 4 pick is where the most likely spot for Harrison to go. AZ already having 2 1st rounders may be tough to move of 4 but, the Chargers with a new HC and GM may be willing to deal as well as NYG at 6. Tenn at 7 and ATL 8 aren't WR spots.

Poles has made 21 picks in his 2 drafts and I'm okay with him staying with 4 picks and will consider Sweat, Allen and Bates as part of this draft.   

Agree totally. If anything I see Poles trading down. We are in a great spot in this year's draft. No need to mortgage anything to move up. watch what happens with the forst 8 picks and who is there at 9 for us, then make that decision to draft or trade down. I trust Poles to get this right.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:18 AM, killakrzydav said:

ALt has routinely slipped to 9 or 10 in simulations. He could be a realistic target without a trade up.  

I don't think I've seen an NFL mock draft by anyone that is reputable with Alt sitting there when the Bears select at 9.  Most everyone in the world has him either going to Chargers or Titans. Doesn't mean it won't happen and just cause reporter(s) say it doesn't make it true.  Bears could draft a DB at 9 for all I know - but given what their depth chart needs are, talent on the board, etc, but common logic has it narrowed down to oline, wideout, dline.