Kyle Orton waived! Do we claim him?

Bears4Ever_34

Get him if he clears...

He's a decent guy behind Caleb to say the least.

Denver just waived him today. Still has to go through waivers. I don't think it matters at this point because the Bears are content with starting Caleb Haine but he would be a great addition as his backup.

Denver just waived him today. Still has to go through waivers. I don't think it matters at this point because the Bears are content with starting Caleb Haine but he would be a great addition as his backup.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think he knows the Martz system and he does not move around the pocket well, with our Oline we need someone who can move around and throw on the move!

I say yes. I understand that he's really not all that mobile. (but who available right now is?) but he's been playing in the AFC West for the last couple years so.... Seeing how the Bears will be facing that group for the next couple weeks would be good for intel.

And heck dont you think he'd like nothing more than to go back to Denver and smirk? He and Jay together?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think he knows the Martz system and he does not move around the pocket well, with our Oline we need someone who can move around and throw on the move!

He moves as well as Enderle who looked like a statue in the preseason. The lack of knowledge in Martz's system is a draw back as well as the 2.5 million left on his contract.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody in NFL game shape knows the Martz system. I pick Orton up without question. 1) I don't think he'll make it to us on waivers and 2) I doubt he would agree to come here.

The Broncos waived quarterback Kyle Orton, team executive vice president John Elway announced today, ending his run with the team.

Orton and his agent David Dunn had started talking to Broncos officials about the move after it was learned Chicago Bears' quarterback Jay Cutler suffered a broken thumb on his right passing thumb Sunday that will likely sideline him for the rest of the season.

Orton has declined to comment.

Orton was drafted in 2005 by the Bears and was a two-year starter there before he was traded prior to the 2009 season to the Broncos in a trade for Cutler. The deal also included draft picks.

Orton was the Broncos' starter from 2009 until he was benched in favor of Tim Tebow at halftime of

BLOG: FIRST-AND-ORANGE

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and more on this blog dedicated to the Denver Broncos.

the fifth game this season against San Diego. With Orton and his wife having a newborn baby girl in August, the quarterback was willing to stay in Denver despite a difficult professional situation.

However, Orton let it be known that Chicago would be one place he'd like to play for. The waiver process can be tricky as other NFL teams ranked ahead of the Bears — such as the Kansas City Chiefs — could place a claim on Orton.

The Broncos will host the Bears at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Dec. 11.

Orton has about $2.58 million left to be paid on his $8.89 million salary this year.

Orton was nearly traded to the Miami Dolphins on the eve of training camp in late-July but the deal fell through after Miami decided against terms of a contract extension.

Orton went from Jay Cutler's replacement in Denver to Tim Tebow's backup, and is now off the roster. Orton was a team captain this season.

He lost his starting job to Tim Tebow during the San Diego game Oct. 9 and has not played since then. Orton was 4-21 as the Broncos starter, including 1-4 this season before Tebow was put into the lineup.

The Broncos are 4-1 in Tebow's starts this season leading into a rematch with San Diego Sunday.

Check here and at denverpost.com/broncos for more details soon.

Read more: Denver Broncos cut QB Kyle Orton; Chicago Bears might be next - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19391873#ixzz1eTQFWh4Y

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Jay Glazer just tweeted that the Chiefs and Bears will claim him but since the Chiefs have priority, it sounds like he's going to KC. Kind of sucks now that we have to play them in two weeks and we might not have to face the awful Tyler Palko. Orton is a serviceable quarterback and would be a good backup for any team.

great point on knowing the AFC West...

I pick him up, and when Cutler's healthy, I cut his ass. I've never been an Orton fan, but he knows the AFC West (in particular the Broncos).

Jay Glazer says it'll come down to KC, CHI, and HOU. Both Houston and KC have a waiver claim before Chicago, though.

yeah, double crap on that one...

Jay Glazer just tweeted that the Chiefs and Bears will claim him but since the Chiefs have priority, it sounds like he's going to KC. Kind of sucks now that we have to play them in two weeks and we might not have to face the awful Tyler Palko. Orton is a serviceable quarterback and would be a good backup for any team.

yeah, double crap on that one...

Eh, we'll see what happens. KO's people may tell KC he wants Chicago and won't play for them before this waiver claim....who knows, but I believe that to be very possible.

The timing of this is absolutely unreal for him not to be wanting Chicago.

In regards to us wanting to pick up KO or not...the answer to that should be an absolute HELL YES. I am of the opinion that Hanie is very very bad. If Martz has to water it down so much to the point where we're blend behind a vet....we're better that way than we are behind Hanie who knows the offense IMO.

Besides, Orton would need need at least the rest of practice this week and next week, but at least he'd be getting acclimated against familiar comp. Just my .02...

Nice find. I like it. Eric Mangini was blowing his load all over this after the news broke on NFL live. He thinks this is a no brainer for Chicago. I still think the Bears bring him in as a backup. There is no way he can pick up Mike Martz offense within these 5 or 6 weeks until Cutler is back. But Orton is still a much much better option to have in case of an emergency than Nathan Enderle.

I totally agree. As the guy behind Hanie, you really couldn't ask for much more given the circumstances.

If Hanie gets hurt or truly fails, Orton is the consumate stop-gap guy...

Nice find. I like it. Eric Mangini was blowing his load all over this after the news broke on NFL live. He thinks this is a no brainer for Chicago. I still think the Bears bring him in as a backup. There is no way he can pick up Mike Martz offense within these 5 or 6 weeks until Cutler is back. But Orton is still a much much better option to have in case of an emergency than Nathan Enderle.