New Bears Coach

adam

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only question is why is Keith Armstrong a special teams coach being considered for the HC position when you already have one of the best special teams coaches in the league under contract on staff? Well the answer is very simple. Armstrong is being scheduled to interview for quite a few of the openings in the league to satisfy the "Rooney Rule" with Ray Horton being the only other minority candidate(though qualified) of note being mentioned during this process.Armstrong while on staff here was decent but I can't see what he has done in the league to warrant a HC interview. I would not be a fan of him being hired here what so ever.

One other candidate that hasn't gotten mention that is a defensive coordinator and has ties to this franchise also is the Giants Perry Fewell who has a 4-3 background and could keep some of the current players on defense to fit his scheme.

My only question is why is Keith Armstrong a special teams coach being considered for the HC position when you already have one of the best special teams coaches in the league under contract on staff? Well the answer is very simple. Armstrong is being scheduled to interview for quite a few of the openings in the league to satisfy the "Rooney Rule" with Ray Horton being the only other minority candidate(though qualified) of note being mentioned during this process.Armstrong while on staff here was decent but I can't see what he has done in the league to warrant a HC interview. I would not be a fan of him being hired here what so ever.

One other candidate that hasn't gotten mention that is a defensive coordinator and has ties to this franchise also is the Giants Perry Fewell who has a 4-3 background and could keep some of the current players on defense to fit his scheme.

Emery knew his from his time in Atlanta AND Chicago....

also he fits the Rooney Rule requirement being black as you stated.

Emery knew his from his time in Atlanta AND Chicago....

also he fits the Rooney Rule requirement being black as you stated.

That is understood and he was here on 3 staffs,Wannie Jauron and 1 year with Smith before being replaced by Toub.We have seen a large body of his work and I still don't think he is HC material. The fact that Emery knows him from these two stops doesn't convince me that a guy in the scouting department has sat and talked football with the special teams coach.If he is hiring based on acquaintances then we are in trouble.

That is understood and he was here on 3 staffs,Wannie Jauron and 1 year with Smith before being replaced by Toub.We have seen a large body of his work and I still don't think he is HC material. The fact that Emery knows him from these two stops doesn't convince me that a guy in the scouting department has sat and talked football with the special teams coach.If he is hiring based on acquaintances then we are in trouble.

Why are we acting like emery has already chosen Armstrong my god. I haven't heard a single person who actually believes that he even stands a shot at the gig. Just a guess here but im almost positive its all to satisfy the Rooney rule. That's not right but that's tge reality of things ever since the NFL created that rule. So please stop acting like he's the guy. From things I've heard on twitter a lot of ppl believe McCoy is the leading candidate at this point

Fewell was the one guy the Bears looked at for a DC (a couple years back) outside of Marinelli that I would have been excited about. He did a nice job for the Bills in the interim role and I'd be on board with bringing him. The key to me is if you interview him, what/whom is he looking at in terms of offensive assistants.

Why are we acting like emery has already chosen Armstrong my god. I haven't heard a single person who actually believes that he even stands a shot at the gig. Just a guess here but im almost positive its all to satisfy the Rooney rule. That's not right but that's tge reality of things ever since the NFL created that rule. So please stop acting like he's the guy. From things I've heard on twitter a lot of ppl believe McCoy is the leading candidate at this point

I reread my post to see where I worded anything that would make you believe I believe he is the guy.If anything I hinted at Armstrong being the annual Rooney Rule candidate with no chance of getting the job.He basically is the current Greg Blache.I also said I find it hard to believe after all the things Emery said during his press conference that this guy fits that criteria. I was pointing more towards the fact that I would like Dave Toub to get a shot.

I reread my post to see where I worded anything that would make you believe I believe he is the guy.If anything I hinted at Armstrong being the annual Rooney Rule candidate with no chance of getting the job.He basically is the current Greg Blache.I also said I find it hard to believe after all the things Emery said during his press conference that this guy fits that criteria. I was pointing more towards the fact that I would like Dave Toub to get a shot.

I'm thinking we probably won't hear about whether the Bears consider Toub or not. My guess is they'd want to stay quiet regarding such. I expect the same for any candidate who is not under contract (e.g., Reid or Holmgren) or any college coaches. I say that because any of these assistants, there is a formal process in place, which means it will definitely be leaked.

That said, you probably don't call a Holmgren unless you legitimately think you are willing to hire him and pay him if you like what you hear.

Sorry lemon wasn't directed at u personally. More of all those ppl who have such a hard time with us even considering him. My personal thought is what's so wrong with looking at a variety of candidates. Who knows u might stumble upon an ace

My order of preference (assuming the Bears don't get one of the big names like Chucky):

1. Pete Carmichael, New Orleans OC - Their offense has been a juggernaut, and he knows how important it is to have protection for a QB. On top of that, he understands how to play to the strengths of the players, since he manages to make plays that take advantage of speed, size, etc.

2. Mike McCoy - Denver OC - Connections to Cutler are nice, and I'm a big fan of their blocking schemes. There is a big reason why Peyton Manning didn't get reinjured this year, and it has every bit to do with his protection.

3. Tom Clements, Green Bay OC - Their offense has been consistently nasty for quite some time, and it's shown an ability to adjust when given a RB worth a damn. On top of that, it's an inside peek at the arch-nemesis. Maybe he can give the Bears advantage because of insider knowledge. The only worry I have is seeing Cutler take hits with a new OC, just like he has with the previous OCs.

6. Mike Sullivan - Tampa OC - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

6. Keith Armstrong - Atlanta ST - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

6. Joe DeCamillis - Dallas ST - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

What connections does McCoy have to Cutler?

My order of preference (assuming the Bears don't get one of the big names like Chucky):

1. Pete Carmichael, New Orleans OC - Their offense has been a juggernaut, and he knows how important it is to have protection for a QB. On top of that, he understands how to play to the strengths of the players, since he manages to make plays that take advantage of speed, size, etc.

2. Mike McCoy - Denver OC - Connections to Cutler are nice, and I'm a big fan of their blocking schemes. There is a big reason why Peyton Manning didn't get reinjured this year, and it has every bit to do with his protection.

3. Tom Clements, Green Bay OC - Their offense has been consistently nasty for quite some time, and it's shown an ability to adjust when given a RB worth a damn. On top of that, it's an inside peek at the arch-nemesis. Maybe he can give the Bears advantage because of insider knowledge. The only worry I have is seeing Cutler take hits with a new OC, just like he has with the previous OCs.

6. Mike Sullivan - Tampa OC - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

6. Keith Armstrong - Atlanta ST - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

6. Joe DeCamillis - Dallas ST - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

Since Arians is in the picture, I would like him at 1, then McCoy at two. I dont really like the rest all that much. Carmichael run the Saints this year, and that didnt go so good. Clements doenst call the plays in GB, McCarthy does. The rest are to much to get excited about.

Since Arians is in the picture, I would like him at 1, then McCoy at two. I dont really like the rest all that much. Carmichael run the Saints this year, and that didnt go so good. Clements doenst call the plays in GB, McCarthy does. The rest are to much to get excited about.

Carmichael wasn't the head coach this year. He just ran the offense. Vitt ran the team, cause he was assistant HC.

I would be happy with Arians, Carmichael, or McCoy.

I'm starting to think it'll be Arians or McCoy. From everything I've read about McCoy, he'll be a great coach. He is a father figure, loves football, stayed extra hours for the offense in Denver, and almost got the Miami job last year. Beadles, Manning, and Decker have all spoken about how great of a person and coach he is.

I'm starting to think it'll be Arians or McCoy. From everything I've read about McCoy, he'll be a great coach. He is a father figure, loves football, stayed extra hours for the offense in Denver, and almost got the Miami job last year. Beadles, Manning, and Decker have all spoken about how great of a person and coach he is.

I can definitely see McCoy. Arians maybe to a lesser extent. McCoy seems like he fits the criteria of someone with an upbeat, energetic personality, who can command a press conference. I watched a couple of videos of him talking to the media yesterday, and he came off like someone who was already a head coach.

McCoy Press Vid

That's a press conference from today. I think Brad Biggs must have been in Denver because It sounded like his voice on a couple of questions.

Kyle Shanahan is one guy I really want to find out if he's going to get an interview. Supposedly, his dad won't let him until the season is over, which means we wouldn't be able to ask next week after the game unless they lose.

I'm getting that vibe from the talking heads as well. Carmicheal appears not to be a commanding presence to some...

I kind of think it's McCoy. Probably has been the whole time. We're just waiting theplayoffs out.

Could it be so? Dr. McCoy? Dammit Jim! I'm a HC, not an OC!

P204_6.jpg

I'm getting that vibe from the talking heads as well. Carmicheal appears not to be a commanding presence to some...

I kind of think it's McCoy. Probably has been the whole time. We're just waiting theplayoffs out.

Could it be so? Dr. McCoy? Dammit Jim! I'm a HC, not an OC!

P204_6.jpg

Lawrence Holmes had a media guy on there say Carmichael wasn't a guy that could stand up and demand the attention of a room. He's too nice of a guy. He's still in my top 3, and like Lawrence's reply, it may be something you get when you get put in the situation. He's still in my top 3 with Arians and Clements.

Lawrence Holmes had a media guy on there say Carmichael wasn't a guy that could stand up and demand the attention of a room. He's too nice of a guy. He's still in my top 3, and like Lawrence's reply, it may be something you get when you get put in the situation. He's still in my top 3 with Arians and Clements.

I listen to the score all day and one guy stated that his contact works for the Bears and Emery has the guy he wants picked out already but is going thru the process to see if anybody knocks his socks off. I suspect it be McCoy since he is talking to him on the weekend as he shifts thru canidates and cant sign him until after the playoffs.