New Bears Coach

adam

Clements age does bother me. It's kinda hard to expect a 10 year tenure like Lovie. Of the names listed for interviews, I like him the best tho. Reading that article in the offseason, where Demarius Thomas said now that Manning is there he had to start running routes and learning them as he didn't the first 2 years was something that stuck with me. When I looked it up again after McCoy was listed as a candidate, it made me not want him here.

Andy Reid is the only retread I like right now. The only knock on him to me is I think he could use a year or 2 away from the game, but AZ may have him locked up.

I love Gruden, but his time away from coaching scares me. The Bears situation does remind me a lot of when he came into Tampa Bay tho. A top aging defense, with the need of a boost from offense to make a Super Bowl run. Prior coach fired for not being able to get over the hump.

Shannahan I don't like. Can't say why really, I just haven't. He did definitely did do good this year with Cousins and RG3 this year tho.

I am mixed on McCoy. It is hard to gauge his actual value when a team brings in Peyton Manning from having Tebow the year prior. I know Fox got a lot of credit for making it work with Tebow, but I assume McCoy had a lot to do with that as the OC. He almost made Orton into a 4,000 yard passer and has experience with Marshall. On the downside, his offense's (other than this year) have been average at best. So sort of a mixed bag.

To me Emery has his "type" of guy in mind, and hopefully he gets the top guy from that field, and we don't have to settle for someone other than McGinnis again.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly the Armstrong interview is happening tonight. I personally didn't see this guy as a legit candidate when his name came out yesterday. This would make the 2nd special teams coordinator that Emery is going to interview.

I think he would be a tough sell in Chicago, especially being someone with no NFL offensive background in coaching. I don't think anybody had heard of this man until yesterday, unless you were that familiar with the days going back to Dave Wannstedt when he worked in Chicago. If he winds up being the head coach, I trust Emery to make the right decision until he proves all of us wrong, though I would really not be overly enthused about it. Norv Turner as OC? Meh.. He runs too much of the same stuff Mike Martz does. I wouldn't be that excited about him either. I just want some guy that can come in here as a Head Coach, with an offensive mind, who is innovative. The two guys at the top of my list are still McCoy and Shannahan.

Clements was one of the guys I had on my radar too. He's 59 though. He's been praised for his development of Rodgers and Flynn. Some will say it's more McCarthy, but Clements definitely played a vital role in quarterback play. If you hire him he’d have an very good understanding of the Packers and how to beat them, based on what he's seen in practice. Knowing their audibles, so on and so forth.. I don't know Tom Clements, but he wouldn't strike me as an "Energy" guy that Emery has been talking about.

The problem with Clements is McCarthy calls the plays there, so how much of what goes on there can you credit to TC? His name has been thrown out there before and everybody hired his coaching peers out of GB last year. With have no idea about any of the candidates unless its Ried, Gruden, ect. I think Emery with figure it out, he has a front row seat, we just have a limited view of all this.

here's to hoping we give mike holmgren a call.

emery should have NO problem with the walrus trying to usurp any GM power from him. holmgren would be a great help in the war room draft day and make it run very smoothly. he would be a very good talent evaluator to work with emery. he has coached in this division and understands any and all weather considerations.

IMPORTANT: can put together fantastic assistants with some real talent. he has a mission to beat green bay who right now is the top contender in our division.

and MOST of all he is very offensive minded so can put together some real NFL caliber schemes and he can coach qb's to be better and there is no way in hell cutler or anyone else steam rolls this guy.

right now this is my top choice along with cowher.

I can't see the team making a move for either of those 2. Of the old guard, I only see Gruden as a possibility.

Otherwise, I'd expect someone newer...

Just a feeling from following the team for decades...

here's to hoping we give mike holmgren a call.

emery should have NO problem with the walrus trying to usurp any GM power from him. holmgren would be a great help in the war room draft day and make it run very smoothly. he would be a very good talent evaluator to work with emery. he has coached in this division and understands any and all weather considerations.

IMPORTANT: can put together fantastic assistants with some real talent. he has a mission to beat green bay who right now is the top contender in our division.

and MOST of all he is very offensive minded so can put together some real NFL caliber schemes and he can coach qb's to be better and there is no way in hell cutler or anyone else steam rolls this guy.

right now this is my top choice along with cowher.

I can't see the team making a move for either of those 2. Of the old guard, I only see Gruden as a possibility.

Otherwise, I'd expect someone newer...

Just a feeling from following the team for decades...

i certainly hope you are wrong.

especially on holmgren. he's not only the safest pick this franchise could make but also the best, smartest pick of every possibility out there including cowher.

this is not some unknown assistant that's never been there done that and certainly not a college coach with no NFL experience who in my opinion is really a serious gamble that i would NOT take. he has WON a superbowl and brought the seahawks to one superbowl and playoff contention. that in itself is no small feat when considering that franchise.

he is NOT some burnout retread with no upside. his experience in all areas of the NFL is something maybe no other coaching prospect has or has had in decades. he is certainly up to speed with what is going on in the NFL from a management perspective and a coaching perspective.

look at the list of assistant coaches he brought to green bay when there. how many of that group went on in their own right as head coaching material? that says a LOT. his personnel in seattle was also good. see that numbskull up in green bay coaching now. very few coaches can boast of bringing together that kind of talent as assistants consistantly. to name a few... billichek, fisher, and cowher.

this guy could with some fresh player personnel get this teams offense up to speed quicker than anyone i can think of in the entire nfl and more importantly KEEP them there!!!

another major plus is this guy at least understands what it takes to make your defense respectable and would NOT rely solely on what a coordinator does or does not do. this is a plus we have been missing for decades.

he has the fire and the passion to WIN and does not accept mediocrity. he also has something to prove to the rest of the NFL. he could be the only coach to bring 3 different teams to a superbowl.

his main drawback (and maybe the ONLY) was his decision to wear both hats as coach and GM in seattle. he has learned his lesson on that front and gives emery total GM control of this franchise especially since leaving cleveland and wishing to resume coaching.

this is the guy if you want to win multiple superbowls. will it happen in one season? probably not but give it 3 and with emery making good picks we should be contending for a decade IN superbowls.

I'm officially on board with Holmgren being my top candidate. Followed by Reid and Gruden. Holmgren has done so much and succeeded in so many areas. He'd be an excellent grab for the offense and he's a total QB guru. Probably would be fine sticking with the cover 2 D and Marinelli (which I personally think is a good thing). Also has a very good eye for talent and could be helpful to Emery. What a coup hiring Holmgren would be.

I wonder if Emery will do it though. You hire Gruden, Reid or Holmgren and you are no longer going to be the "face" so to speak. Hire an assistant and provide him with that opportunity and you still really control the power. Just my 2 cents.

I'm officially on board with Holmgren being my top candidate. Followed by Reid and Gruden. Holmgren has done so much and succeeded in so many areas. He'd be an excellent grab for the offense and he's a total QB guru. Probably would be fine sticking with the cover 2 D and Marinelli (which I personally think is a good thing). Also has a very good eye for talent and could be helpful to Emery. What a coup hiring Holmgren would be.

I wonder if Emery will do it though. You hire Gruden, Reid or Holmgren and you are no longer going to be the "face" so to speak. Hire an assistant and provide him with that opportunity and you still really control the power. Just my 2 cents.

No way any of them are coming here. Gruden would be nice, but is waiting for a certain job and it isnt the Bears. Holmgren wont be getting hired here, he always wants control of everything and his age comes into play. Reid is a good coach, but not who Emery will be looking at. Mark my words none of them will be interviewing here, and Im fine with that.

No way any of them are coming here. Gruden would be nice, but is waiting for a certain job and it isnt the Bears. Holmgren wont be getting hired here, he always wants control of everything and his age comes into play. Reid is a good coach, but not who Emery will be looking at. Mark my words none of them will be interviewing here, and Im fine with that.

I don't see how you can cast a wide net and not interview 3 of the top candidates out their. I also think the Bears have to be very careful not to interview the whole world as there are a ton of teams looking at coaches and next thing you know we could be reacting and hiring the 4th or 5th or even worse 7th or 8th best guy.

I saw where Peyton Manning gave McCoy major props.

That offense with Cut would be saaaawwweeeeeeet.

I'd be curious. Brees is so exceptional at reading the defense and making quick decisions (great job at the intermediate reads). I'd be curious how Cutler would do in such an offense. I guess the key is having a strong enough personality (and proven enough guy) who can drill it into Cutler. That is why I'd love Holmgren. I'm a huge believer in the west coast offense and Holmgren has made a lot of QB's better (including the gunslinger Favre) and there is zero way Cutler could ignore the coaching from a guy like Holmgren.

It is no surprise that Cutler has been at his best when he's worked with well proven guys (Shanny and to a lesser extent Martz). Never thought I'd say it, but fundamentally Cutler made strides under Martz that he hasn't made under the other Bears coordinators (Turner/Tice). No denying Carmichael's success with Brees (in San Diego and New Orleans) and he did a great job calling plays for the Saints this year.

The thing i love is how the Saints use the running backs in the passing game (which goes into something Tice just totally screwed up (e.g., the total misuse of Forte, who imo, is the best receiving back in the league).

I can't get the icky feeling out that he's a Packer... Clements too...but that really won't bother me. That much. ;)

But, besides that, he's been away from coaching a long time. Like Cowher, like Gruden. Other than Vermeil...I can't think of a successful one who did.

Also, to my knowledge, no coach who won a SB has ever one one for a different team. Law of averages says it should happen...but for some reason it doesn't. It probably means the fire isn't quite wast it was before getting your first...or string of them. It's happened in other pro sprts (Phil Jackson, etc.)...but not in the NLF to my knowledge.

All in all, I wouldn't be mad at a Holmgren (or Cowher, or Gruden...) hiring. It just feels like those were so "4 years ago"... I'm banking that Emery will make the right call. I have the feeling the man is smart, does his homework, cares, and is a class act. We're due a little luck...hopefully, we can get him some of that and make the perfect choice.

i certainly hope you are wrong.

especially on holmgren. he's not only the safest pick this franchise could make but also the best, smartest pick of every possibility out there including cowher.

this is not some unknown assistant that's never been there done that and certainly not a college coach with no NFL experience who in my opinion is really a serious gamble that i would NOT take. he has WON a superbowl and brought the seahawks to one superbowl and playoff contention. that in itself is no small feat when considering that franchise.

he is NOT some burnout retread with no upside. his experience in all areas of the NFL is something maybe no other coaching prospect has or has had in decades. he is certainly up to speed with what is going on in the NFL from a management perspective and a coaching perspective.

look at the list of assistant coaches he brought to green bay when there. how many of that group went on in their own right as head coaching material? that says a LOT. his personnel in seattle was also good. see that numbskull up in green bay coaching now. very few coaches can boast of bringing together that kind of talent as assistants consistantly. to name a few... billichek, fisher, and cowher.

this guy could with some fresh player personnel get this teams offense up to speed quicker than anyone i can think of in the entire nfl and more importantly KEEP them there!!!

another major plus is this guy at least understands what it takes to make your defense respectable and would NOT rely solely on what a coordinator does or does not do. this is a plus we have been missing for decades.

he has the fire and the passion to WIN and does not accept mediocrity. he also has something to prove to the rest of the NFL. he could be the only coach to bring 3 different teams to a superbowl.

his main drawback (and maybe the ONLY) was his decision to wear both hats as coach and GM in seattle. he has learned his lesson on that front and gives emery total GM control of this franchise especially since leaving cleveland and wishing to resume coaching.

this is the guy if you want to win multiple superbowls. will it happen in one season? probably not but give it 3 and with emery making good picks we should be contending for a decade IN superbowls.

I'm officially on board with Holmgren being my top candidate. Followed by Reid and Gruden. Holmgren has done so much and succeeded in so many areas. He'd be an excellent grab for the offense and he's a total QB guru.

one other very, very important aspect of bringing in holmgren... i am in total agreement with you on him being a qb guru. if, and this is a very big IF, cutler is not the guy to be our future franchise player holmgren is the guy to know it. it makes this next season with cutler on contract for one more year the most important decision involving the direction this franchise takes since halas/finks hired jim mcmahon. if cutler is not the way to a superbowl holmgren will know it sooner than anyone i can even think of and save this franchise MEGA cap money for the next 3-5 years and find that guy who can.

we missed out hiring shanny 2-3 years ago. we can't blow this one too. this hire does so much on so many levels it's like winning the lottery for chicago. we have been waiting for over 40 years to find this good of a prospect.

if we win multiple superbowls under a holmgren regime emery will be able to write his own ticket in chicago. this scenario is what GM's dream of.

I can't get the icky feeling out that he's a Packer... Clements too...but that really won't bother me. That much. ;)

But, besides that, he's been away from coaching a long time. Like Cowher, like Gruden. Other than Vermeil...I can't think of a successful one who did.

Also, to my knowledge, no coach who won a SB has ever one one for a different team. Law of averages says it should happen...but for some reason it doesn't. It probably means the fire isn't quite wast it was before getting your first...or string of them. It's happened in other pro sprts (Phil Jackson, etc.)...but not in the NLF to my knowledge.

All in all, I wouldn't be mad at a Holmgren (or Cowher, or Gruden...) hiring. It just feels like those were so "4 years ago"... I'm banking that Emery will make the right call. I have the feeling the man is smart, does his homework, cares, and is a class act. We're due a little luck...hopefully, we can get him some of that and make the perfect choice.

That stat probably has more to do with the fact that A) It is really really hard to win a superbowl and B) not too many superbowl coaches go on to coach many other places so the odds are extremely against it. I do know Holmgren has made the superbowl with 2 different teams.

My order of preference (assuming the Bears don't get one of the big names like Chucky):

1. Pete Carmichael, New Orleans OC - Their offense has been a juggernaut, and he knows how important it is to have protection for a QB. On top of that, he understands how to play to the strengths of the players, since he manages to make plays that take advantage of speed, size, etc.

2. Mike McCoy - Denver OC - Connections to Cutler are nice, and I'm a big fan of their blocking schemes. There is a big reason why Peyton Manning didn't get reinjured this year, and it has every bit to do with his protection.

3. Tom Clements, Green Bay OC - Their offense has been consistently nasty for quite some time, and it's shown an ability to adjust when given a RB worth a damn. On top of that, it's an inside peek at the arch-nemesis. Maybe he can give the Bears advantage because of insider knowledge. The only worry I have is seeing Cutler take hits with a new OC, just like he has with the previous OCs.

6. Mike Sullivan - Tampa OC - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

6. Keith Armstrong - Atlanta ST - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.

6. Joe DeCamillis - Dallas ST - Tie. Not really that interested. I want to see a proven offensive leader.