Brian Urlacher

GreatScott82

Urlacher's Future  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will Brian Urlacher re-sign with the Bears?

• Yes, he will sign a cheap one year deal to finish his career here.
    • No, he will sign with another team.
    • No, he will retire this offseason due to the lack of interest and money offered.

While we can't be in two places at once, I am pretty close to a split on him coming back cheap or he decides it's not worth playing for $2-3mil. I see the votes so far at 7-0 for him to return on the cheap and I wonder how many others feel he is just as close to retiring.

If they do a 2 year deal, they can reduce the cap hit for this year and then cut him before next year with minimal dead money. So I figure 2 yrs/8 million deal with a cap hit for less than $3 million this year. He gets a couple of million guaranteed and the average salary looks decent even though most it will not be paid unless he miraculously becomes ultra healthy (need more Deer Antler Spray). To me this is the high end of the deal.

Interesting thought:

Do you guys who are opposed to giving Urlacher more than 2m a year think that the contract Ray Lewis last received was a good contract for the Ravens? It sure seemed to work out for him, their team, and all anyone could talk about was his inspiration and leadership (regardless of whether Flacco understood it all).

Interesting thought:

Do you guys who are opposed to giving Urlacher more than 2m a year think that the contract Ray Lewis last received was a good contract for the Ravens? It sure seemed to work out for him, their team, and all anyone could talk about was his inspiration and leadership (regardless of whether Flacco understood it all).

the players like Brian but is the not the emotional leader that Lewis was with the Ravens.They paid him to much money for the play he gave, they didnt win the SB because of Ray Lewis, he was just along for the ride. Watch the tape, he didnt play well at all. Just because they were stupid to pay him doesnt mean we should.

the players like Brian but is the not the emotional leader that Lewis was with the Ravens.They paid him to much money for the play he gave, they didnt win the SB because of Ray Lewis, he was just along for the ride. Watch the tape, he didnt play well at all. Just because they were stupid to pay him doesnt mean we should.

That's basically my question. You're saying the Ravens were stupid to pay Lewis the amount they did, and they didn't win because of him.

I bet the Ravens disagree.

That's basically my question. You're saying the Ravens were stupid to pay Lewis the amount they did, and they didn't win because of him.

So the Ravens won because Ray Lewis is a good chearleader? give me a break, they won because of Flacco, Boldin, and many others not named Ray Lewis

I'm curious; where did this $5 Million / year figure come from? I understand that Urlacher may have been offered about $2 Million per from the Bears but haven't factually heard where this upper number came from.

I'm not sure what Lewis was paid to play for the Ravens last year. However I believe that Urlacher's presence on the team is immeasurable. However there is some similarity to what Lewis' presence was to the Ravens. That being said, I don't know that the mere presence of Urlacher on the team for one or two more years is worth $5 million per year (don't really think that he does either) nor do I think he should settle for $2 Million. Somewhere in the middle is more reasonable.

I'm curious; where did this $5 Million / year figure come from? I understand that Urlacher may have been offered about $2 Million per from the Bears but haven't factually heard where this upper number came from.

I'm not sure what Lewis was paid to play for the Ravens last year. However I believe that Urlacher's presence on the team is immeasurable. However there is some similarity to what Lewis' presence was to the Ravens. That being said, I don't know that the mere presence of Urlacher on the team for one or two more years is worth $5 million per year (don't really think that he does either) nor do I think he should settle for $2 Million. Somewhere in the middle is more reasonable.

As a player, he's worth about 2mil. I'd give him another mil as face of the franchise and locker room leader. Definately 3 mil tops...

Lewis' cap hit was $4.95, so basically $5 mil. Urlacher should come in between 3-4 million per year, and just like Lewis, it should be for 2 years to allow for a lower cap hit this year.

As a player, he's worth about 2mil. I'd give him another mil as face of the franchise and locker room leader. Definately 3 mil tops...

Where did you figure on the 2 mil? Was it because that's what others have said on the board?

I'm still not sure what website is being used to compare skill, play, leadership, knowledge, production, etc. and convert it into appropriate salary. :huh:

A player is worth what the market will pay him. My understanding is Brian gave the Bears a proposal before the FA deadline of around 5 million a year (heard it on the SCORE). The Bears probably told him too much and told him to go on the market and find his value. If other team's valued him at that amount, he would be signed somewhere else by now.

And Brian was a great player in his time but he is no Ray Lewis who can be argued as one of the greatest of all time.

Peace :dabears

A player is worth what the market will pay him. My understanding is Brian gave the Bears a proposal before the FA deadline of around 5 million a year (heard it on the SCORE). The Bears probably told him too much and told him to go on the market and find his value. If other team's valued him at that amount, he would be signed somewhere else by now.

And Brian was a great player in his time but he is no Ray Lewis who can be argued as one of the greatest of all time.

Peace :dabears

Check out their last two years.

Saw on Twitter, from Trestman's comments this morning, that he says Urlacher could be a 1st and 2nd down linebacker. If he's only on the field part-time, why even bother with bringing him back?

The value of a player that can call the defense, line up all the players, know all the responsiblities is huge and Tucker/Bears know this. He has to be healthy of course, which he should be in better shape coming in this year, so I expect him back.

He will not be getting his asking price. You never pay the asking price at a flea market in Mexico....

Expect Urlacher back and a LB drafted early to learn underneath of him.

The value of a player that can call the defense, line up all the players, know all the responsiblities is huge and Tucker/Bears know this. He has to be healthy of course, which he should be in better shape coming in this year, so I expect him back.

He will not be getting his asking price. You never pay the asking price at a flea market in Mexico....

Expect Urlacher back and a LB drafted early to learn underneath of him.

I agree with all of this. Still am curious what the "asking price" is/was. I saw a reply last night that said Ray Lewis' cap hit was $4.95 Million, but how does that translate to Urlacher's "asking price"? Did he or his agent ever set a number? Or are they simply hoping for more than the $2 Million that Chicago originally offered them?

Saw on Twitter, from Trestman's comments this morning, that he says Urlacher could be a 1st and 2nd down linebacker. If he's only on the field part-time, why even bother bringing him back?

The same type of thing (i.e. limited usage) could have been said, and could still be said, about McClellin, but that sure as hell didn't stop him from being drafted in the first round.

I agree with all of this. Still am curious what the "asking price" is/was. I saw a reply last night that said Ray Lewis' cap hit was $4.95 Million, but how does that translate to Urlacher's "asking price"? Did he or his agent ever set a number? Or are they simply hoping for more than the $2 Million that Chicago originally offered them?

I has been reported that Urlachers agent proposed a 2 year deal with 5 million per year.