Allen with Bears

Alaskan Grizzly

Nice move. Great to have 3 guys who can start and I presume in passing situations we'll see Houston moved inside. I am starting to wonder if our first pick is between CB / DT. IT would seem like we'd have a good one at either position to choose from. For those wondering who plays where, one, injuries are part of a game, and two, you need depth.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hot damn. I for one was cool with Houston/Young as our starters, but I can't deny that the DL just got a whole sweeter!

Just read that the deal can be voided after year 3 which really makes this a 3/24 deal, which is a real good deal. The 4 years scared me a bit because his age is bound to show in a couple of years. With the cap going up, and all the cap space we'll have next year and and beyond even if his age shows the contract won't hurt that much at all.

It's gonna be reallly interesting to see how the rotation is set up next year.

Great pickup, very glad and relieved to see this addition to the D.....

Pretty good off-season for Emery I would say.

I agree but Allen is no spring chicken and we still have question marks about the defensive coaches overall. Not trying to rain on the parade but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here guys. We have to see how well these guys play together, scheme, etc.

I'm happier than I was and Peppers had to go because of his contract but let's chill a bit. There's a lot of time to print Superbowl tickets after we see this D Line play a few snaps together.

I thought Houston was a DE?

We drafted Wootton as a DE and he was our starting DE on opening day last year. He was only moved inside after all our DT's were injured. I have no clue how Minny will use him. Wootton looks like a DE with his length.

Sitting here a week after FA started I was getting pretty worried. A couple guys on here wrote to calm down there was still time. I listened and now I can say Im really excited. Tillman then gets signed which was a huge boost and now Jared Allen.

Not 100% but Jared is 31, 3 years younger than Peppers. Its a 4 year deal with the option to be cut after 3. Great deal. I can totally see the Bears getting 3 solid years out of Allen.

From what I read about Allen, he is a workout beast, he could still have 4 years left in his tank.

All of these FA moves may not pan out, but I will say I like all of them. Emery really keeps on impressing.

I'm more than happy to provide inside info! I spoke to Amy this morning. She is pumped to be coming home! Wooooh! :) Nice work Emery. You will not be disappointed.

When you first posted that Jared Allen was going to be a Bear, I got pumped up. Then as the days went on and there was nothing floating around that the Bears were going after him I thought it may not happen. Then it was reported that Allen was signing in SEA I was pissed.

So glad you were right!!!

Thanks for the info as well!

Sitting here a week after FA started I was getting pretty worried. A couple guys on here wrote to calm down there was still time. I listened and now I can say Im really excited. Tillman then gets signed which was a huge boost and now Jared Allen.

Not 100% but Jared is 31, 3 years younger than Peppers. Its a 4 year deal with the option to be cut after 3. Great deal. I can totally see the Bears getting 3 solid years out of Allen.

From what I read about Allen, he is a workout beast, he could still have 4 years left in his tank.

All of these FA moves may not pan out, but I will say I like all of them. Emery really keeps on impressing.

Peppers was born in January 1980. Allen in April 1982. So it's closer to two years than 3 in age difference. What worries me somewhat, is that Peppers was blessed with incredible talent. He probably could have played professional basketball and was the 2nd overall draft pick. Meanwhile, Jared Allen is a "try hard" was a 4th round pick who has made it on his effort and being a workout beast. I worry how far effort will get you when your body starts to break down.

I'm not complaining at all and I'm thrilled with the deal. But we have seen it where guys get bad quickly. Orlando Pace is one that immediately comes to mind.

I'm thinking Allen and Houston are the starters, with Young swapping out for Allen regularly and Houston kicking inside with Allen and Young on the ends on third down/obvious passing downs. Good problem to have.

Agreed 100%. Lovie was always good about rotating players. When our defenses were really good, our top d-lineman like Tommie Harris and Julius Peppers only played about 70% of the time. Having Young, Houston, and Allen, it makes it easy to rotate guys and keep them fresh.

Also, even though we moved Shea to linebacker, if it's 3rd and long, I still look for us to line him up as an edge rusher.

Still gonna be real interesting to see what the cap hit is.

Peppers got a 3/30 deal and his first year cap # is only 3.5, it'd be real nice if Allens is around the same or less in year 1. That would then allow them to PERHAPS make a play on Clemons(the longer he waits to sign the less money he's gonna get) while also still being able to grab a vet min guy or 2.

I'm more than happy to provide inside info! I spoke to Amy this morning. She is pumped to be coming home! Wooooh! :) Nice work Emery. You will not be disappointed.

Great to have you here, and great to have Jared as well! He will look much better in a Bears uniform!

Peppers was born in January 1980. Allen in April 1982. So it's closer to two years than 3 in age difference. What worries me somewhat, is that Peppers was blessed with incredible talent. He probably could have played professional basketball and was the 2nd overall draft pick. Meanwhile, Jared Allen is a "try hard" was a 4th round pick who has made it on his effort and being a workout beast. I worry how far effort will get you when your body starts to break down.

I'm not complaining at all and I'm thrilled with the deal. But we have seen it where guys get bad quickly. Orlando Pace is one that immediately comes to mind.

Jared put up solid numbers and effort for far too long to be labeled as just a "try hard guy". He has been very productive and consisitent over the years while staying healthy as well. He easily could have let up like "All Day" and take some games off since the vikings suck so much. In fact, Allen has not had much to play for since Favre retired. I think he is quick off the snap and knows how to create pressure and that will be a welcome addition to this team. The fact that he is a high effort should not be viewed as a negative but perhaps that was what has been lacking since Urlacher retired. Mike Brown is another good example of a high effort and smart football player who got the most out of his abilities while healthy. I know this is not a long term solution but this team has a very small window to try and win a Superbowl. These recent signings also raise the stakes for having a successful draft this year, and the team needs to take players with the highest floor who can contribute right away otherwise the Bears probably not have a chance to achieve the ultimate within the next 3 years.

I agree but Allen is no spring chicken and we still have question marks about the defensive coaches overall. Not trying to rain on the parade but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here guys. We have to see how well these guys play together, scheme, etc.

I'm happier than I was and Peppers had to go because of his contract but let's chill a bit. There's a lot of time to print Superbowl tickets after we see this D Line play a few snaps together.

Will the Bears D be better with Allen? That is a yes, 100% fact. Can the Bears D still suck, yes but they will not suck because of Allen. Everything I have read says Jared is a great teammate. He should be a great locker room guy.

I know Peppers had to go because of the contract, I still think Peppers can play at a some what high level and cutting him did hurt the D. I think a 2 year younger Allen will be an upgrade to Peppers tho.

Lost Peppers added Allen. I think we got better just by the swap of these two players.

By Cutting Pepper the Bears also signed Houston and Young, adding depth to a spot that was a weakness for the Bears.

Jared put up solid numbers and effort for far too long to be labeled as just a "try hard guy". He has been very productive and consisitent over the years while staying healthy as well. He easily could have let up like "All Day" and take some games off since the vikings suck so much. In fact, Allen has not had much to play for since Favre retired. I think he is quick off the snap and knows how to create pressure and that will be a welcome addition to this team. The fact that he is a high effort should not be viewed as a negative but perhaps that was what has been lacking since Urlacher retired. Mike Brown is another good example of a high effort and smart football player who got the most out of his abilities while healthy. I know this is not a long term solution but this team has a very small window to try and win a Superbowl. These recent signings also raise the stakes for having a successful draft this year, and the team needs to take players with the highest floor who can contribute right away otherwise the Bears probably not have a chance to achieve the ultimate within the next 3 years.

If Jared can match his play of the last two years for the next two years this was a great signing in my book.

Replaced Peppers with Allen: I'm not certain that this is much of an upgrade but Allen is 2.5 years young.

It is actually not even close. Allen is a high motor guy who doesn't take a play off, which cannot always be said for Peppers.

In the last 4 seasons, Allen has 19 more sacks, 48 more tackles, and 22 more QB disruptions than Peppers in the same amount of games.

Honestly, I think at this point you could put a trained monkey at DC and improve over last year. The pieces are just that much better. Add that to the fact that the Bears will certainly draft defense high, and it gets even better.

Allen is an upgrade over Peppers in terms of pass rush.

Houston and Young are both upgrades over Peppers or SMC in rush defense.

The LBs will be better and have more experience.

There should definitely be a rookie starting over Conte at FS.

Cohesion or not, this defense is undeniably better than last year. And at the rate the offense was scoring, all that's needed is for the defense to be a little better. Other than the Eagles and the Rams games last year, a slightly better defense likely helps the Bears get a W in various games.

What a curmudgeon! I agree to an extent. What I'm seeing is something familiar to what the Giants had a few years ago with a hybrid DE/DT/LB defense in their front end scheme. Kiwanuka, JPP, Uminyora, Tuck all put the fear into opposing offenses. I remember them having some sort of lineup where some of the front guys would be line up standing up (NE tinkered with it a few years before that) and called it a "messy lineup " or something rather .

Although I don't see that here I see a good blend of some fast and persistent rushers; Young, Bass, Allen and SMC mixed with some solid anchors in Paea, Collins, Ratliff, Houston.

If Tucker can't do anything with this group then he's gone.

I will say it'll be Fun to watch the team compete again. Looking forward to the new season!!

Worry not! I can photoshop some tix the day before if need be! ;)

Honestly, I think at this point you could put a trained monkey at DC and improve over last year. The pieces are just that much better. Add that to the fact that the Bears will certainly draft defense high, and it gets even better.

Allen is an upgrade over Peppers in terms of pass rush.

Houston and Young are both upgrades over Peppers or SMC in rush defense.

The LBs will be better and have more experience.

There should definitely be a rookie starting over Conte at FS.

Cohesion or not, this defense is undeniably better than last year. And at the rate the offense was scoring, all that's needed is for the defense to be a little better. Other than the Eagles and the Rams games last year, a slightly better defense likely helps the Bears get a W in various games.

Have you been reading Rumsfield comments Jason?

Surprising signing and kudos to the poster who used his wife as a reason he would be here because of her Chicago ties.

I look at this as one thing only. Emery has based his FA signings on how strong the positions are in this draft and obviously he thinks that DE is a weak position.

The first thing I do is take Washington and put his locker right next to Allen and see if he takes him under his wing because Allen is here for atleast 2yrs. The work ethic and playing through injuries should help tutor this kid who obviously is a project. WTBS Willie Young being a 7th rounder had to be viewed as a project also.

Interseting wrinkle brought up by the guys on the Score today - I wonder how this affects the likelihood of the Bears being on Hard Knocks this season. Allen is the kind of personality that would likely be a draw for that show who is changing teams within the division, Chicago is a big market, and there are plenty of other storylines (Cutler/Cavalleri/shots, McLellin's position change, other big personalities in Bennett and Marshall, etc.). As has been noted elsewhere, the Bears are one of eight teams the NFL can force to do Hard Knocks if they want.

Interseting wrinkle brought up by the guys on the Score today - I wonder how this affects the likelihood of the Bears being on Hard Knocks this season. Allen is the kind of personality that would likely be a draw for that show who is changing teams within the division, Chicago is a big market, and there are plenty of other storylines (Cutler/Cavalleri/shots, McLellin's position change, other big personalities in Bennett and Marshall, etc.). As has been noted elsewhere, the Bears are one of eight teams the NFL can force to do Hard Knocks if they want.

I really hope they're the team.

I wish they were filming already down in Florida with all the guys training down there. I love all the stuff they're doing down there as a team. Marshall has been posting pictures every now and then of the big ol group down there. They went go cart racing yesterday, Marshall posted a picture of the racing leader board and it showed he, Cutler, Forte, Wilson, Houston, Collins, Greene, Bass, Bostic, Paea, and Chris Williams were all there. He also posted a picture of a ton of guys paintballing. Garza has tweeted out pictures of the line sans Slausson all working out together as well.

I absolutely love the comradery that I've seen from these guys this offseason. I can't remember a time in all my years being a Bears fan seeing so many guys sticking together in the offseason. Maybe it's just that I haven't been following twitter as much as I have this year??

Joe Kim is also an interesting angle. I'm really intrigued about seeing him at work with his whole martial arts thing.

Slam dunk.

Most interesting team and greatest fan base ever. No brainer if I'm the NFL/HBO!

Let's not forget the entertainment value of M. Bennett as well!