Report: Jimmy G atop Bears priority list

DABEARSDABOMB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here-are...fls-qb-shuffle/

The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.

The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere.

The Bears have done extensive work on Garoppolo and are very comfortable with him. He shined in the preseason and was exceptional filling in for Tom Brady during his four-game suspension and has strong roots to that community. He played at Eastern Illinois, where Pace played as well. Romo, Mike Shanahan and Saints coach Sean Payton are also Eastern Illinois products; Pace and Payton worked together in New Orleans and were very high on Garoppolo coming out of college.

The Bears are prepared to engage in talks on Garoppolo at the combine later this month, or sooner if need be. Trades cannot be officially consummated, however, until the league year begins in March. The Bears acknowledge it will be difficult to land much of anything for Cutler, with other teams preferring to not trade for him and instead wait for him to be cut to then sign him to a cheaper contract, though a suitor could emerge.

We know I'd be all for this move. I didn't post the excerpt, but evidently reports are the Jets have a very high grade on Jimmy G as well, but don't view him as a realistic option as the expectation is Pats wouldn't trade him within the division and would prefer to trade him outside of the conference.

We know I'd be all for this move. I didn't post the excerpt, but evidently reports are the Jets have a very high grade on Jimmy G as well, but don't view him as a realistic option as the expectation is Pats wouldn't trade him within the division and would prefer to trade him outside of the conference.

I don't like it, but if we can get him for a 2nd rnd pick, sure. I do not want us to give up the 3rd pick for him, we have too many needs for that.

I don't like it, but if we can get him for a 2nd rnd pick, sure. I do not want us to give up the 3rd pick for him, we have too many needs for that.

What I dont understand is why would you tell people you want a certain player, there is no advantage to that. I think we just have media connecting dots and trying to crate a story.

I would be all in on getting him . I have read several scouts say,if he was coming out this year, he would be the first QB taken.

We will have to give up two picks but I think it may be a 2nd this year and a conditional second next year.

Cleveland has money and many more draft picks so if they want him I see them outbidding us for him.

:shakehead :shakehead

I hate it.

I hate it too. But along the lines of what Stinger suggests, perhaps its just a smoke screen (God I hope). Maybe to deflect attention of what our team's real interests are in a higher grade QB in the draft.

Ultimately that is the direction the team needs to go (through the draft). Sure he (Jimmy G) is the feel good story being he's from Illinois and he broke Tony Romo records at Eastern Illinois (what exactly has Romo accomplished in the NFL?) but bottom line, how have other prior NE Pats QB's done outside of their system?

I'll reiterate, we have one (former Pats QB) on the roster already. His name; Brian Hoyer.

This is way too early to take stock in any opinion as playing out...

I am 100$ certain that the Bears are asking. I get the vibe they will leave no stone unturned. But, I don't think they've played their hand right now. Too much is in flux at the moment.

Jimmy G could play in the SB and get hurt still...you never know.

I hate it too. But along the lines of what Stinger suggests, perhaps its just a smoke screen (God I hope). Maybe to deflect attention of what our team's real interests are in a higher grade QB in the draft.

Ultimately that is the direction the team needs to go (through the draft). Sure he (Jimmy G) is the feel good story being he's from Illinois and he broke Tony Romo records at Eastern Illinois (what exactly has Romo accomplished in the NFL?) but bottom line, how have other prior NE Pats QB's done outside of their system?

I'll reiterate, we have one (former Pats QB) on the roster already. His name; Brian Hoyer.

This is way too early to take stock in any opinion as playing out...

I am 100$ certain that the Bears are asking and the vibe they will leave no stone unturned. But, I don't think they've played their hand right now. Too much is in flux at the moment.

Jimmy G could play in the SB and get hurt still...you never know.

Maybe we are driving the price up and hoping another QB needy team bites. Why would this be news now...this early? If the Bears were interested, this would not leak. Look how sly and tight they have been so far in this regime. The media hates how this team gives information. I call smoke!

We need a QB and he may be available, so why wouldn't you do your due diligence and check him out? I don't buy the source knowing our interest level and I don't know how you would measure that? Also, if we are considering him, it would make sense to let NE know so there can be more talks as you get closer to the draft.

We need a QB and he may be available, so why wouldn't you do your due diligence and check him out? I don't buy the source knowing our interest level and I don't know how you would measure that? Also, if we are considering him, it would make sense to let NE know so there can be more talks as you get closer to the draft.

They should have interest, do their homework, and call NE. The Bears would want to keep it confidential to keep to keep the demand as low as possible. If there is a source leaking, it is either NE to drive up the price, a made up media story to get hits, a bears source who recenly left or not a good employee, or smoke to divert. It is most likely a media story because they can tie in all the EIU homer connections to make it more believable.

They should have interest, do their homework, and call NE. The Bears would want to keep it confidential to keep to keep the demand as low as possible. If there is a source leaking, it is either NE to drive up the price, a made up media story to get hits, a bears source who recenly left or not a good employee, or smoke to divert. It is most likely a media story because they can tie in all the EIU homer connections to make it more believable.

You are correct on all accounts. If we genuine interest, no-one would know...

I also read that Cleveland, San Francisco, NY Jets, and Buffalo are interested in Jimmy G, possibly others as well.

Sounds like, as you guys have already said, reporters flying baloons, slow period for legit news...

My guess is the cost to obtain Jimmy G will be too high with competition anticipated making it too risky

Bills' Tyrod Taylor might become available, night be cut or traded.

If cut and we could get him at a reasonable cost would he be a good stop gap QB - better than what we already have ;-)

Key words here, "CUT" & "REASONABLE COST"

I also read that Cleveland, San Francisco, NY Jets, and Buffalo are interested in Jimmy G, possibly others as well.

Sounds like, as you guys have already said, reporters flying baloons, slow period for legit news...

My guess is the cost to obtain Jimmy G will be too high with competition anticipated making it too risky

Bills' Tyrod Taylor might become available, night be cut or traded.

If cut and we could get him at a reasonable cost would he be a good stop gap QB - better than what we already have ;-)

Key words here, "CUT" & "REASONABLE COST"

i believe he just had groin surgery and might not be healthy enough for buffalo to cut him before the big money in his contract takes effect. how that effects his status i don't know.

he is an interesting thought although his size is a concern. he is only 6'.

Say it ain't so! A month before all the real talk begins and we're the front runner willing to give up the farm for Garoppolo? This is far removed from Pace's style in the last two off-seasons where we knew next to nothing of his offseason targets, at least until about a week before FA started.

Therefore I tend to agree with others that we're either driving up the auction price early so people get out of the bidding (not likely) or we're hoping that our "strong interest" makes other's get in and commit early. If Pace's real target is a draftee and he can help either Cleveland or SF (more likely) trade for JG all the better.

Things I think I know:

Arizona: Palmer might retire. Bruce Arians wants to go back to retirement but with a Superbowl ring. He thinks he's got the roster to compete (true). There is zero chance he wants to go forward in 2017 with any of these rookie QBs. If Palmer is leaving we should expect AZ to be all in for Romo. If that fails, do not be surprised one bit if Arians makes a trade for Cutler. He wants a QB who can threaten a defense with the vertical passing game and he's got a defense that can cover up some of those INTs, which they did for Palmer many times. Job one when Arians landed in Phoenix was finding his QB and he went hard after Palmer. I don't view JimmyG as a fit with what Arians wants to do. A trade for Cutler also means the team can use early draft picks on players who can contribute this year. That's significant for a playoff caliber team that might lose Calais Campbell and Jefferson, in an ideal draft to replace both.

Cleveland: With two picks in Rd 1 Garrett is too obvious a choice for them to pass up. They are likely to go QB with their 2nd pick, or at the top of the 2nd Rd. If they were willing to go through last year's disaster they will wait for their QB next year. No trade for JimmyG, grab a 2nd Rd QB to give a glimmer of hope to fans.

SF: no clue. New GM who has never made personnel decisions, new HC who is working in Atlanta. They both will have time to find the QB and so might view next years QB options as the best move. In the meantime they can acquire a legit blue chip prospect in the first Rd and a solid player in Rd 2. Don't completely rule them out when it comes to Cutler although that's likely a post-cut and post-draft decision. JimmyG could be a solid option for Shanahan so if we're really interested they could be our main contenders.

Jets: Like Chicago there is a bit of desperation setting in here. Drafting another QB after so many failures, and in this class with no player ready to start in year 1 will not help the GM or HC. They will want to pursue Romo, he'll want to stay away. I won't be surprised at all if this is where Cutler ends up. He's good enough to get a team well over .500 if they have a good defense. If the Jets use their draft to focus on players who can contribute in 2017 then they might buy themselves a couple more years. A trade for him means they can walk away from Cutler whenever they want to. No way Belichick trades JimmyG here.

Houston: Another landing spot for Romo? Maybe. Not a lot of cap space with $25mil (need to sign Bouye) but I'm sure they could find a way to make it work if they really want to. I think this could be a legit landing spot for Cutler. A trade for Cutler is likely best for them especially if the Bears eat the roster bonuses (not sure if that could work). Again, excellent defense and they just need a guy to be good enough to fit the ball into Hopkins hands on his bad routes; or go deep to FullerV and Cutty has the arm for that. Trade for JimmyG likely means handing over another big bonus to a QB after failing last year with Osweiller. Super risky!

Buffalo: Another new coaching staff. Is Tyrod Taylor out? Good defense, some pieces in place on offense. If they move on from Tyrod I could see Cutler landing here as well. I could see them grabbing a QB in the 1st Rd too although at #10 there could still be some excellent prospects for them to consider. Fournette? No way Belichick trades JimmyG here.

Denver: Romo, Romo, Romo. They can get one more good shot at the Superbowl with that defense if they can get their offense back to respectability. Elway knows that's not happening with Paxton Lynch or Trevor Siemian at QB. Cutler is not an option. If it's Superbowl or bust for Elway then JimmyG is too much risk.

I don't view Glennon as much of an option for any team. Tyrod Taylor would be and any team interested in Cutler would likely view these two as equal options albeit with different talents and negatives on the field. Taylor will command a signing bonus, perhaps similar to the amount JimmyG will get. That money usually equals more commitment. I'm gonna need some popcorn in March.

Brady is what 40? If they are willing to trade him, then they must not have faith in him to replace Brady.

No reason to look for a new QB in a year or 2, if you got someone good to replace him now.

Brady has 2 years left on his contract and is playing at the top of his game. Garrapalo is a FA after next season. Unless Brady is going to retire after this year, they have to do something with Garrapolo now or lose him for nothing at the end of next season.

Peace :dabears

He'll be 40 in august. Do you think that New England, one of the best managed teams in years would let a good QB go, knowing their legend will retire after this superbowl or next year. They are to smart to if they think he can be the man. He will have Cassel like results if traded, if they keep him he is legit.

Here are some headlines when searching for Garoppolo:

"Kyle Shanahan sounds like he’d be interested in Jimmy Garoppolo"

"The Browns will pursue Jimmy Garoppolo and have the picks to pull it off"

"CURRAN: SEVERAL TEAMS REPORTEDLY INTERESTED IN GAROPPOLO"

"Texans could explore possible trade for Garoppolo"

Brady has 2 years left on his contract and is playing at the top of his game. Garrapalo is a FA after next season. Unless Brady is going to retire after this year, they have to do something with Garrapolo now or lose him for nothing at the end of next season.

Peace :dabears

A few weeks ago I scanned a Patriots message board looking for insights on Garoppolo. One thing was obvious in the thread, most fans know Brady is not the QB he was a few years ago. Comments ranged from his deep ball isn't so deep and accurate to the fact he isn't nearly as mobile as he used to (and that was never great). He's still got the sharp mind and can read a defense like a fox but he's not at the top of his game.

Patriots have more cap space than we do. If fans can see Brady's skills tailing off so can the coaches. There is every reason to believe if they felt JimmyG were the next HofF QB, or at least a Pro Bowl potential they'd be giving him a new deal this offseason so he'd stay around until Brady retires. Or they'd be easily getting more than a single 1st Rd pick for him. So that means JG is likely an average QB, one that they can find in any draft, or already did find in Brissett.

I still see more potential in either Trub, Kizer, or Mahomes, and I definitely like Watson's pedigree over all of them. They each have a learning curve that is 12-24 months. JimmyG is more ready to play now.

A few weeks ago I scanned a Patriots message board looking for insights on Garoppolo. One thing was obvious in the thread, most fans know Brady is not the QB he was a few years ago. Comments ranged from his deep ball isn't so deep and accurate to the fact he isn't nearly as mobile as he used to (and that was never great). He's still got the sharp mind and can read a defense like a fox but he's not at the top of his game.

Patriots have more cap space than we do. If fans can see Brady's skills tailing off so can the coaches. There is every reason to believe if they felt JimmyG were the next HofF QB, or at least a Pro Bowl potential they'd be giving him a new deal this offseason so he'd stay around until Brady retires. Or they'd be easily getting more than a single 1st Rd pick for him. So that means JG is likely an average QB, one that they can find in any draft, or already did find in Brissett.

I still see more potential in either Trub, Kizer, or Mahomes, and I definitely like Watson's pedigree over all of them. They each have a learning curve that is 12-24 months. JimmyG is more ready to play now.

Definitely a red flag. As some have mentioned on this board, you have to question why they would be willing to give up on him with Brady getting close to retirement.

Definitely a red flag. As some have mentioned on this board, you have to question why they would be willing to give up on him with Brady getting close to retirement.

There is examples of both. Last year he let Chandler Jones go, and last time I checked he is real good. It has to do with Bellich has a ego, he thinks he can make anybody work in his system. Also he might see Brisett as equal value and has him tied up for 3 more years so he makes a choice not because of talent but because of value in his drafting. He also may eye a QB this year that he deems better and will use picks to grab him.

There is examples of both. Last year he let Chandler Jones go, and last time I checked he is real good. It has to do with Bellich has a ego, he thinks he can make anybody work in his system. Also he might see Brisett as equal value and has him tied up for 3 more years so he makes a choice not because of talent but because of value in his drafting. He also may eye a QB this year that he deems better and will use picks to grab him.

Some of the defensive players he has released have had moderate success with Jones, Wilfork, Seymore and Ty Law off the top of my head but when it comes to QBs different story. Bledsoe, Cassell, Hoyer and Mallett didn't do much after NE and Bledsoe was replaced by an undrafted free agent named Tony Romo.

Some of the defensive players he has released have had moderate success with Jones, Wilfork, Seymore and Ty Law off the top of my head but when it comes to QBs different story. Bledsoe, Cassell, Hoyer and Mallett didn't do much after NE and Bledsoe was replaced by an undrafted free agent named Tony Romo.

Do you guys think because of NE winning another SB that Brady and Belhick will play and coach for 2 or 3 years and then retire together?

I think this may make it more available to get Jimmy G with the plan of Brady being successful and available to win SBs for a couple more years.

You figure with some high picks added they can shore the OL and grab a new tight end to add to there team stength?

I don't think Jones and Garrapolo are comparable, Jones was looking to cash in big and NE didn't want to pay him what he wanted. I don't see Garrapolo asking for starter money or even asking for a trade. The expectation has always been that they will trade Garrapolo just because he is coming up on his rookie contract, but nothing is stopping them from trying to sign him to an extension (as a backup). Brissett didn't look too good in his only appearance and I don't think they see him on par with Garrapolo.

Also, NE just proved again they were correct, Jones is at home about to be a free agent after spending a year on a losing team, Arizona does not even have him under contract anymore, and NE won the Super Bowl.

Do you guys think because of NE winning another SB that Brady and Belhick will play and coach for 2 or 3 years and then retire together?

I think this may make it more available to get Jimmy G with the plan of Brady being successful and available to win SBs for a couple more years.

You figure with some high picks added they can shore the OL and grab a new tight end to add to there team stength?

I actually think they may go a different route and sign or trade for more vets (instead of wanting draft picks) in a "win now" mode knowing they only have 2-3 years left. I can also see a lot of free agents taking a pay cut to play for them given the opportunity.