Bears (3-4) at Saints (4-2) Game Thread

adam

Great post and I agree with you that Trubisky made some strides this past week. Still lots to learn, but we really shouldn't be surprised with him needing to have a big adjustment...he just hasn't played that much football at the highest level and that means it is going to take him longer. The good thing is, he seems to put in massive amounts of time to learn those things and I've seen him make adjustments week to week. Long way to go though...long way to go.

Agree and you hit on one thing that cannot be taught and that is desire and dedication to his craft. I remember them mentioning on the pregame that he was the first guy out on field before the game. You can look at his career to this point and his dedication and preparation are hard to miss. Even when he wasn't the starter at NC he prepared hard like he was so when his number was called he was ready and made plays. He's humble and puts a lot on himself to get better and works hard. That can't be taught you either have that in your character or you don't. On top of being a very talented and mobile QB I believe this will pay off well for him and for us. I can see him being the type of QB who stays hungry despite success rather than someone who'll just rest on his abilities or success. The drive to get better should serve him well. He has much to learn but he seems eager to do so.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your completely fine with the OC?

I think he has a ways to go to have a popular evaluation.

He probably had the best play call I have seen all year when he did the 2 point conversation with Howard, Cohen and Tribusky.

I think he has potential to be good at it. I think he is handcuffed by Fox and a lack of compete WRs.

Everybody wants Fox out of here and yet keep Fangio, and get a new OC but the truth is that would create problems for this team that is starting to ascend now.

The new coach would be able to pick is own OC and DC, maybe he wouldn't want Fangio which would digress the defensive progress we have made.

The development of Trusbiky would now have a new system to learn and new people to get use to.

If we finish 8-8 or above I think the best move we can do is probably keep Fox and let the team rise as constructed.

I dont think Fox is a good game day coach but he is obvious good at motivating players.

Probably the most accurate assessment of the Bears right now.

If it was said to Dan Hampton why isn't he tweeting it? Just looking at the way the defense played and factoring in the injuries and mistakes on offense and officiating and that is absolute B.S.! Since Hampton comes on the Final Word with Lou Cannelis on FOX 32, what Saints player was he talking with while hear in Chicago?

The only thing that matters, regarding the future of this franchise, is do you feel comfortable with John Fox and Dowell Loggains developing the most important Bear ever drafted, despite having no history of it at any of their previous stops? If the answer is yes, please explain to me why and what specifically it is about either that makes you feel that way.

Because having an ascending defense is great, but none of that will matter if Trubisky busts because the ones in charge of his development don't have a clue what they're doing.

I completely agree with this as well.

I love the direction the defense is taking, but that's pretty much what I expected with Fox. This front office and coaching staff, however, have to do more. To do everything they did to get Trubisky means they can't just let him turn into a journeyman game-manager. They need to invest fully and wholeheartedly into giving him all the tools and weapons he can use to become a great QB.

I love the direction the defense is taking, but that's pretty much what I expected with Fox. This front office and coaching staff, however, have to do more. To do everything they did to get Trubisky means they can't just let him turn into a journeyman game-manager. They need to invest fully and wholeheartedly into giving him all the tools and weapons he can use to become a great QB.

Who do you suggest?

John Fox took an expansion franchise with Jake Delhomme to the Super Bowl. Then as expected he took the Broncos to the Super Bowl and inevitably left because he could not get along with John Elway. The reason of their dispute was the handling of Peyton Manning. Fox was right and the Broncos won a Super Bowl the next year without him using the plan he wanted to use. I trust him this year and next to grow this team and keep Trubisky safe.

I don’t think getting rid of Fox is the answer. Still think the fight and toughness we read about from another player on the Saints was in direct line with what we’ve heard about Fox’s teams in the past. Question is, were they talking about defensive players or offensive players? It’s pretty clear to those of us watching from the couch which squad isn’t performing as well as they could...and why.

The only thing that matters, regarding the future of this franchise, is do you feel comfortable with John Fox and Dowell Loggains developing the most important Bear ever drafted, despite having no history of it at any of their previous stops? If the answer is yes, please explain to me why and what specifically it is about either that makes you feel that way.

Because having an ascending defense is great, but none of that will matter if Trubisky busts because the ones in charge of his development don't have a clue what they're doing.

What I see is coaches who are not afraid to give Trubisky time to learn and instead are relying heavily on the running game. Along with that they are working with new WR from the practice squad, a rookie in Cohen, rookie Shaheen, new to the offense Sims, new to the offense Kendall Wright. The only stability in the offense's receiving weapons, Zach Miller, just went down with an injury.

I see that they are also not taking the easy way out and simply relying on Trubisky's strengths (i.e. roll out right read half the field) and instead are being patient by keeping him in the pocket more often so he can improve there. This is what he must learn to be successful long term. You only need to go back to the first preseason game where Trubisky lit it up in his first game and recall what plays he was running then.

They also didn't fall back heavily on simple read-option plays that he ran in college and are limiting his exposure to injury. Remember RGIII and how the Shanahan's ruined his career in just his first season. Last year Cutler ran more read-options IIRC.

Nor do they rely on a heavy mix of simple WR screens. Again, he's being asked to read the defense downfield.

The Bears call plays where Trubisky has to read the left side of the field (one of his weaknesses in college) so he can learn and get comfortable throwing there. Again, it's a long term view to develop skills he lacks, or more correctly is not as proficient at. Recall the missed throw for a first down late in the game.

I see a QB who knows he can take negative plays (sacks) instead of throwing INTs if he's not comfortable with what he sees. For now this is the right decision. As the season moves along I expect he'll start seeing the field better and finding some of the open options he has missed in his first few games.

I see a QB who has learned the protection calls, and done well enough with them despite seeing nearly every blitz possible in his first 4 games. Pretty sure someone taught him that.

I see a QB who has improved with his command of the plays and in the huddle. He is getting the team to the LOS early enough to have time to read the defense. He is often given two plays and does check to the second play so he's reading the defenses pre-snap and getting us to a better play more often than not.

I don't have game pass to review games in detail but my sense is that his footwork in the pocket has improve greatly since he arrived. For a guy who rarely (if ever) took snaps from under center this is all new for him. Surely you recall all the concerns in training camp when he occasionally stumbled or botched a snap under center. Back then it was going to "take a full year" for him to get this down.

Who do you suggest?

John Fox took an expansion franchise with Jake Delhomme to the Super Bowl. Then as expected he took the Broncos to the Super Bowl and inevitably left because he could not get along with John Elway. The reason of their dispute was the handling of Peyton Manning. Fox was right and the Broncos won a Super Bowl the next year without him using the plan he wanted to use. I trust him this year and next to grow this team and keep Trubisky safe.

Admittedly, I'm not someone who pays attention to who is considered the best offensive guru in the making or the best QB whisperer. But when the Bears pick up a new coach, and it's continuously a defensive coach, I often think it's time to change that philosophy.

It would be nice to hire an offense-first guy for a change.

Admittedly, I'm not someone who pays attention to who is considered the best offensive guru in the making or the best QB whisperer. But when the Bears pick up a new coach, and it's continuously a defensive coach, I often think it's time to change that philosophy. It would be nice to hire an offense-first guy for a change.

Like Marc "the QB Whisperer" Trestman?

Sorry, you kinda asked for it... :cheers

Like Marc "the QB Whisperer" Trestman?

Sorry, you kinda asked for it... :cheers

:cheers

I think you're forgetting his first year where he drastically improved an offense from the year before, had a top 5 scoring offense, created the "Josh McCown is a starting QB"-myth, and got McCown paid.

So he's not a good leader. Accepted. And his team quit on him. Given. But how was he to know Cutler would completely ignore everything he said and do whatever the hell he felt like on the field? I don't blame Trestman on that one.

I'm just saying I want an offensive minded coach.

:cheers

I think you're forgetting his first year where he drastically improved an offense from the year before, had a top 5 scoring offense, created the "Josh McCown is a starting QB"-myth, and got McCown paid.

So he's not a good leader. Accepted. And his team quit on him. Given. But how was he to know Cutler would completely ignore everything he said and do whatever the hell he felt like on the field? I don't blame Trestman on that one.

I'm just saying I want an offensive minded coach.

Funny. Because I was curious I thought; ‘wonder what Marc is up to these days’? Figured after a flame out as OC in Baltimore would pretty much finish him. Alas, it appears the CFL is wher he belongs. Trestman was hired as the Toronto Argonauts HC this year.

From Wikipedia: “The 2017 Toronto Argonauts season is the 60th season for the team in the Canadian Football League and their 145th season overall. The Argonauts improved upon their 5–13 record from 2016 with their sixth win after 13 games and clinched a playoff spot following a Hamilton Tiger-Cats loss on October 13, 2017. The team will host their first playoff game since 2013 and will attempt to win their 17th Grey Cup championship.”

Harbaugh burned every bridge possible in SF and even the media were tired of his arrogance. I loved his football acumen at Stanford and pulled for him to become the next Bears HC back before he ended up in SF. Now it seems we already have the best part of that coaching staff (Fangio) so why go through the headaches in dealing with Harbaugh's antics?

Who do you suggest?

I take back what I said. I know who I'd hire. Toub. Period. Dude is an excellent coach and thinks outside the box. I'm sure he'd surround himself with people who are similarly minded and he'd succeed.

To be a ST coach means convincing guys to run full speed into brick walls. If he can do that and succeed (he's more than succeeded), then he can be a head coach.

I take back what I said. I know who I'd hire. Toub. Period. Dude is an excellent coach and thinks outside the box. I'm sure he'd surround himself with people who are similarly minded and he'd succeed.

To be a ST coach means convincing guys to run full speed into brick walls. If he can do that and succeed (he's more than succeeded), then he can be a head coach.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance one day.

Agreed 1000%. I would have hired him over Trestman when Lovie was fired. I think he would be a fantastic head coach.

Peace :dabears

Let's stop all the talk about new coaches. The arrow is pointing up for the first time in a decade. And us, as typical Bears fans, are bitching. Let this thing grow and see what comes of it next year !

Fox is a very solid NFL head coach and a strong experienced leader, Dowell is the weak link and we know that to be the truth. The bears are a much younger and have a lot of injuries. With that said they have been competitive despite being their own worst enemy at times but there is finally some young talent to be excited about. Pace needs to replace Barf and Lowgaims now!

It has literally become comical to watch. I scan other message boards for our opponents each week just to learn a bit about their strengths and weaknesses. I've come to the conclusion that nobody in the NFL likes their HC unless his name is Bill Belichick. Nobody likes the play calling on either side for their teams unless they are dominating and ranked top 5. To read all this you might think players have zero responsibility for what happens on the field.

"Loggains is too conservative and too predictable". Loggains throws on 3rd and 1 and he's horrible. Loggains calls a TD play to Miller (it was a TD) and nobody mentions him. Loggains also called what should have been a TD pass to Howard but Howard dropped the ball (again). Is that Loggains fault or does he understand the Howard often drops these passes so he doesn't call that play often when he's in the game?

With better execution on just three plays (add in the missed FG) Loggains called a game good enough to win on the road with a rookie QB and two practice squad WRs.

Trubisky still has a way to go. He was inaccurate at times and a bit late on some throws. He is progressing though and reading the field better. It will take more time for him to read defenses quicker, and to get on the same page with all these new WRs but I think he is headed in the right direction. It is entirely possible this team wins 3 of the next 4 games and is sitting at .500 in early December with 4 games to go.

Good post, totally agree!

I agree that we should temper the new coach talk until we see how this team comes out against the packers after the break, This team is 3-5 after playing 3 consecutive road games and went 2-1 in those 3 and should have gone 3 and 0 with a little more discipline and luck in the Atlanta game and Minnesota game this would be a 2 loss team. I will go to my grave thinking Miller made that catch and Fuller wasn't the only guy lined up offsides on the field goal.

I agree that we should temper the new coach talk until we see how this team comes out against the packers after the break, This team is 3-5 after playing 3 consecutive road games and went 2-1 in those 3 and should have gone 3 and 0 with a little more discipline and luck in the Atlanta game and Minnesota game this would be a 2 loss team. I will go to my grave thinking Miller made that catch and Fuller wasn't the only guy lined up offsides on the field goal.

So coaching talk should be paused because the Bears are about to play a packer team without rodgers?

So coaching talk should be paused because the Bears are about to play a packer team without rodgers?

We haven't had a QB in 30 years! Get off Rodgers nut sack. Playing field is level now. Their QB actually has more experience than ours. If we get blasted by GB then you can figure whoever you want, lol.