Pick #39 James Daniels, C, IOWA

adam

Sort of shocking considering most guys with first round grades were still on the board, and Courtland Sutton went one pick after us to the Broncos. So hopefully Daniels becomes a perennial starter and helps anchor the interior.

I would've personally moved down and accumulated picks (if possible).

There was a run on OLINE (3 in 5 picks) so I am sure that had something to do with it.

I just saw this on ESPN Chicago

Bears plan to start 2nd round pick James Daniels at guard, and then cross-train him at center, according to Chicago general manager Ryan Pace.

I have to believe this was agreed on by HH, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I just saw this on ESPN Chicago

I have to believe this was agreed on by HH, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I was going to just post I saw that it was undecided if he was going to be a center or guard. Hopefully whatever bears decide is the right decision. To some extent good to have some flexibility given how often long has been hurt last two years.

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I was going to just post I saw that it was undecided if he was going to be a center or guard. Hopefully whatever bears decide is the right decision. To some extent good to have some flexibility given how often long has been hurt last two years.

Read Pace intends to plug him in at G while cross training him at C.

12 hours ago, jason said:

The knock on Daniels is that he has difficulty with bigger, stronger guys.

Just like most prospects, he needs to get stronger, his mobility is what sticks out about him. Athletic. If there is a man beast in the middle, he will have help from one of the guards. He has a thick lower body so can strengthen his point of attack.

14 hours ago, jason said:

The knock on Daniels is that he has difficulty with bigger, stronger guys.

Yes, I've seen this.  He does need more lower body strength but this is not the 280 something Grasu coming out of college.   He's over 300lbs and there's plenty of tape of him pushing DTs around.  He just needs to use his quickness to win the leverage battle, but he usually does that.   I suspect the Bears prefer him at OG this season to protect him from having to anchor against the big NTs he'd face at OC.  Whitehair struggled with that quite a bit his first year.   Handling some of the smaller quicker 3-4 DEs, or 3- techniques at LG should not be much of an issue.   He's also good at pulling to get outside and seal the edge, or hitting LBs at the second level.  

I'm a little crazy because back when the Combine was underway I was watching the Olinemen performing their drills.  They all do the little shuffling drills, side to side, kick step back into pass pro, etc.  Most are big slow dudes, even the ones who have the quickness to play LT.  Then Daniels ran the drills and it was night and day.  This is one very athletic big man.   He's just 20 years old and should build a more solid base to go with the athletic moves in the next year or two.   Given the type of zone blocking we want he should become an ideal fit once he gains more strength.  I never expected him to be there because everything I read had him going in the first round.  Instead the Lions took Ragnow at #20 overall, the Bengals took Price right behind that.  Of the three Price seemed the most stout as a blocker, with Ragnow the weakest.  We're going to get to watch Ragnow and Daniels for several years to compare draft value.  

Now about the concerns with his knee, that I know nothing about.  Pace said he checked out medically.   

I think we can dismiss anything Pace says about where he plays. We will get him in here, HH will evaluate him and they will play were ever they fit best.

As he is still growing he will probably put on 20 lbs and play around 315 to 320. One year of NFL development and he will be the guy.