Roster thoughts

Alaskan Grizzly

7 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

We truly have a no name squad. Our depth, lines, and skill positions (from a fantasy/production perspective) suck balls.

ARob, Mooney, and Monty will all be good values in fantasy. Whenever Fields starts, he will have a lot of upside ala Jackson and Allen.

From Bears site:

Running back Ryan Nall

Running back Artavis Pierce

Receiver Dazz Newsome

Receiver Isaiah Coulter 

Receiver Jon'Vea Johnson 

Center Dieter Eiselen 

Guard Arlington Hambright 

Nose tackle Auzoyah Alufohai

Outside linebacker Charles Snowden

Outside linebacker Sam Kamara 

Cornerback Thomas Graham Jr.

Safety Teez Tabor 

Kicker Brian Johnson

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

From Bears site:

Running back Ryan Nall

Running back Artavis Pierce

Receiver Dazz Newsome

Receiver Isaiah Coulter 

Receiver Jon'Vea Johnson 

Center Dieter Eiselen 

Guard Arlington Hambright 

Nose tackle Auzoyah Alufohai

Outside linebacker Charles Snowden

Outside linebacker Sam Kamara 

Cornerback Thomas Graham Jr.

Safety Teez Tabor 

Kicker Brian Johnson

This is the practice roster?  

If so I sure hope Adams makes it back to this.  Sad to see him off the 53.  

53-man compared to same time last year:

QB + Fields/Dalton - Trubisky 
RB + Williams/Herbert - Cohen/Nall/Patterson
WR + Goodwin/Byrd/Perriman/Webster - Miller/Ginn/Ridley/Wims
TE + James/Horsted - Harris/Saubert
OL + Peters/Mustipher/Borom/Wilkinson/Simmons - Leno/Massie/Spriggs/Coward/Hambright

DL + Goldman/Blackson/Tonga - Robertson-Harris/Jenkins/Urban
OLB + Attaochu - Mingo/Vaughters
ILB + Ogletree/Jones/Johnson - Trevathan
CB + Burns/Christian/Crawford - Fuller/Skrine
S - McManis

Perriman can't be signed until they waive someone else, my assumption is Johnson, Crawford, or Simmons. 

To me there are clear upgrades at QB, RB, WR, TE, and DL. Slight upgrades at OLB and depth at ILB. OL is a wash but the backend is better as Coward was literally the worst OL in the league last year. It looks like CB is still the biggest issue. Johnson will have to replace Fuller as a true CB1 and someone else will have to replace Johnson as CB2. That is a big ask. Slot gets better just by losing Skrine. 

ST coverage units are a concern, but Webster will help in the return game. No matter what, pretty much anyone was going to be a downgrade from Patterson at KR.

Outside of CB, I don't see how this team is worse than last year. Even OL, the team is returning 4 starters from last year and really the only change is Peters for Leno.

Has anyone noticed the doom and gloom about the Bears offensive line for losing Leno and Massie, yet the Packers won't have 2x All-Pros on their O-Line to start the season (David Bakhtiari - PUP, Corey Linsley - left as FA) but you don't hear much about that?

Not sure but I think they (Packers) are always drafting OL every year, so they have more of a base to draw from. Something we should be doing. They kept Adams initially and then cut him the next day. I think they did that so other teams will add players before he was released the next day. So better to get him thru waivers which is 24 hours after he was released. I think he will be back on the PS.

29 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Not sure but I think they (Packers) are always drafting OL every year, so they have more of a base to draw from. Something we should be doing. They kept Adams initially and then cut him the next day. I think they did that so other teams will add players before he was released the next day. So better to get him thru waivers which is 24 hours after he was released. I think he will be back on the PS.

Oh I know, but going from 2x All-Pros to rookies would seem to be a bigger deal than going from Leno to Peters.

29 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

When we pick up other players from other teams cuts you have to realize some hits and lots of missies. Akeem Hicks was a NE cut, and look how he turned out. 

Hicks was on the last year of his rookie deal after being traded from NO to NE before the trade deadline that year. NE just didn't resign him, because they rarely do, especially someone who didn't play a full season for them. The Bears gave him a 2-yr deal and extended him after one season. 

9 hours ago, adam said:

53-man compared to same time last year:

QB + Fields/Dalton - Trubisky 
RB + Williams/Herbert - Cohen/Nall/Patterson
WR + Goodwin/Byrd/Perriman/Webster - Miller/Ginn/Ridley/Wims
TE + James/Horsted - Harris/Saubert
OL + Peters/Mustipher/Borom/Wilkinson/Simmons - Leno/Massie/Spriggs/Coward/Hambright

DL + Goldman/Blackson/Tonga - Robertson-Harris/Jenkins/Urban
OLB + Attaochu - Mingo/Vaughters
ILB + Ogletree/Jones/Johnson - Trevathan
CB + Burns/Christian/Crawford - Fuller/Skrine
S - McManis

Perriman can't be signed until they waive someone else, my assumption is Johnson, Crawford, or Simmons. 

To me there are clear upgrades at QB, RB, WR, TE, and DL. Slight upgrades at OLB and depth at ILB. OL is a wash but the backend is better as Coward was literally the worst OL in the league last year. It looks like CB is still the biggest issue. Johnson will have to replace Fuller as a true CB1 and someone else will have to replace Johnson as CB2. That is a big ask. Slot gets better just by losing Skrine. 

ST coverage units are a concern, but Webster will help in the return game. No matter what, pretty much anyone was going to be a downgrade from Patterson at KR.

Outside of CB, I don't see how this team is worse than last year. Even OL, the team is returning 4 starters from last year and really the only change is Peters for Leno.

I'm going to disagree a little.  Goodwin, Byrd, and the others, while on paper, seem to be an upgrade.  We really have no way to know.  None of them played in Preseason and are unknown.  The OF line has a 39 year old left tackle who has not been able to play 16 games for what, the last three years.  Ifedi is at best maybe a Massie who can stay healthy.  But so far this year he has not.  Mustipher is a a dozen or so biscuits  light and struggles with top DF players.  Borom is a fifth round rookie who we have no idea what his play will be.  The last time we had to start a fifth round tackle was Leno.  The rest are just journey men who we got off the garbage heap.  And even if Jenkins makes it back this year we have no idea what kind of player he is.  He's yet to even practice.  Not to mention or CB's  The two we brought back that no one else wanted.    Yea on paper the rooster may look better but I just have no faith it is.  And throw in the fact that not one of our cuts were picked up and all made it to our practice squad also makes me worry.

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is starting to get traction.  Should the Bears consider it AND think of him as the CB2?

I think the Bears are happy with the DB 2 and are looking for a nickel back. Callahan is solid in that role and I would be perfectly fine getting him -> but I'm not giving up anything more than a swap of picks (meaning we just flip picks and get Bryce).  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think the Bears are happy with the DB 2 and are looking for a nickel back. Callahan is solid in that role and I would be perfectly fine getting him -> but I'm not giving up anything more than a swap of picks (meaning we just flip picks and get Bryce).  

Im assuming you think they have Vildor as the CB2?  I like the kid for it but he didn’t really show much during the preseason.  Callahan would probably be better there at this point.  Vildor might be too green still.  

There was an article that suggested if the Bears Wanted Callahan in a trade they could consider a player like Hicks or Goldman or even Foles because they (Denver) needs QB help.  

https://dawindycity.com/2021/09/02/chicago-bears-rumors-bryce-callahan-trade-home/

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Im assuming you think they have Vildor as the CB2?  I like the kid for it but he didn’t really show much during the preseason.  Callahan would probably be better there at this point.  Vildor might be too green still.  

There was an article that suggested if the Bears Wanted Callahan in a trade they could consider a player like Hicks or Goldman or even Foles because they (Denver) needs QB help.  

https://dawindycity.com/2021/09/02/chicago-bears-rumors-bryce-callahan-trade-home/

I sure as hell wouldn't give up Hicks or Goldman for Callahan, that would be outright ridiculous IMO. I also think Fangio is comfortable with Bridgewater/Lock combo at QB. I'd have to agree with DBDB, no more than a pick swap. I might even consider a conditional late pick (6th or 7th)

11 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Callahan is strictly a nickel corner. Burns or Vildor will be CB2. 

Peace

It's clear to me that both Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy talk out of both sides of their mouths.

The best QB in preseason was Fields, Andy Dalton is not Alex Smith who also had some mobility. I can see Aaron Donald ringing Dalton's bell and Fields being inserted in the 2nd Qtr with only scout team reps making Nagy look very stupid since this O-Line is still under construction and Dalton having been in concussion protocol last season will be at risk behind this patch work line. Leonard Floyd and Aaron Donald ought to be salivating right now.

44 minutes ago, lemonej said:

It's clear to me that both Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy talk out of both sides of their mouths.

The best QB in preseason was Fields, Andy Dalton is not Alex Smith who also had some mobility. I can see Aaron Donald ringing Dalton's bell and Fields being inserted in the 2nd Qtr with only scout team reps making Nagy look very stupid since this O-Line is still under construction and Dalton having been in concussion protocol last season will be at risk behind this patch work line. Leonard Floyd and Aaron Donald ought to be salivating right now.

I can see Fields coming in after halftime, especially if the offense is sputtering in the first half. However, if they are down 2+ scores by then, I can also see them sticking with Dalton because that would be a hard deficit to overcome in a half if the defense is not stopping them. 

The 3 and outs and turnovers will be telling. I don't know how many of those the team can withstand from Dalton.