THE CHICAGO BEARS HAVE THE #1 PICK

adam

If the Bears stay in the top five, the only pick for me is Will Anderson.  Bama has him play a lot of gap/edge discipline.  Even with that, Anderson looks like he's a problem to block.  He's tremendously powerful in running through contact.  When he's placed in pro situations in the future he could be unstoppable.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

If the Bears stay in the top five, the only pick for me is Will Anderson.  Bama has him play a lot of gap/edge discipline.  Even with that, Anderson looks like he's a problem to block.  He's tremendously powerful in running through contact.  When he's placed in pro situations in the future he could be unstoppable.

I agree - but I will also state - I am not selecting him at #1 overall.  

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The best scenario is trade to 2 and still get one of the blue chip players, Anderson or Carter. The chances of two high trades are slim.There will be one QB that everyone will want.

Hang on now.  There is a big three this year, just like Mitch's year.  The funny thing is that it came out backwards that year, so who knows.

I agree, IF the Texans will swap with us, someone will pay well to get the 2nd pick. Arizona, Indianapolis & Seattle are prime contenders, and we could probably land a blue chip DL at #4 or #5 - and especially if we are not sold on Carter, and looking at a WR or other DL.

Anderson is likely gone by #5, but might be there at #4.

What we will not know for awhile is which of these QB needy teams (and possible trade partners) will opt to go after a FA or trade for a vet. Example: I just read a writer speculating Indy and the Jets as two possible suiters for D Carr. Hopefully Indy has learned their lesson about acquiring retreads.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

What we will not know for awhile is which of these QB needy teams (and possible trade partners) will opt to go after a FA or trade for a vet. Example: I just read a writer speculating Indy and the Jets as two possible suiters for D Carr. Hopefully Indy has learned their lesson about acquiring retreads.

I think Irsay is done with the retreads.  Jets make more sense.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I think Irsay is done with the retreads.  Jets make more sense.  

I have a huge feeling that we are going fleece the Colts.  Irsay is on full tilt.  He's on record saying, during the pre season, losing is NOT an option this year.  He brought on Saturday to evaluate the culture and Ballard, as an act of desperation.  Saturday has already given Irsay the report and has promised to change many things if he gets the job.  More than likely, Ballard will be gone and the new GM tasked with getting THE QB drafted, no matter what.  I see getting two firsts, a second and whatever player/s we want.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:08 PM, Mongo3451 said:

I have a huge feeling that we are going fleece the Colts.  Irsay is on full tilt.  He's on record saying, during the pre season, losing is NOT an option this year.  He brought on Saturday to evaluate the culture and Ballard, as an act of desperation.  Saturday has already given Irsay the report and has promised to change many things if he gets the job.  More than likely, Ballard will be gone and the new GM tasked with getting THE QB drafted, no matter what.  I see getting two firsts, a second and whatever player/s we want.

I've been watching all the film on Pittman and Pierce I could find. Pittman has better hands but they are similar players. Pierce is faster and young. Pittman will be 26 in his last yr of contract. OTC has his value at around 15 mil. I think Poles would ask for Pierce in a deal because Pittman would give him another  WR contract he would have to deal with this yr.

Pittman was rated higher coming out 4.52 speed and good hands but Pierce has upside. I doubt Indy would throw in 2 high level players, but  I would ask for Kenny Moore, productive, knows Flus system already NC.

I was thinking if we get the daily double ( two trades) we should make them throw in players. 

Trade with Houston, make them add Keynon Green/LG, he was the highest rated OG in the draft last year, picked at 15_in first round. That means we could move on from Whitehair at cheaper money with big upside. 

Trade with Indy and have them throw in Alex Pierce/ WR,  young , fast and cheap for a few years. High upside. 

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I was thinking if we get the daily double ( two trades) we should make them throw in players. 

Trade with Houston, make them add Keynon Green/LG, he was the highest rated OG in the draft last year, picked at 15_in first round. That means we could move on from Whitehair at cheaper money with big upside. 

Trade with Indy and have them throw in Alex Pierce/ WR,  young , fast and cheap for a few years. High upside. 

That would be great, but I don't think they would move on from younger, cheaper players. HOU would probably offer up someone like Tunsil or Cooks (both with huge cap hits) and IND would be Buckner or Leonard.

Pittman seems feasible since he is on the last year of his deal anyway. 

For the Will Levis fans out there, or maybe us trade-down fans.   After watching some hype here I watched some highlights of him and his release reminds me of Marino's.  Combined with his arm strength he's going to be a favorite of the media at the Combine.  Others are taking notice.  

I get a whole Carson Wentz vibe from this Levis character.  They have eerily similar stats (collegiately) and came from general obscurity to become draft darlings.  (If Mel Kiper likes him, that ain’t a guarantee).  The one (perhaps BIG) difference between the two is Levis played in the SEC his final two years.  But if another team likes him as ‘their guy’, all the better for the Bears. 

14 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I get a whole Carson Wentz vibe from this Levis character.  They have eerily similar stats (collegiately) and came from general obscurity to become draft darlings.  (If Mel Kiper likes him, that ain’t a guarantee).  The one (perhaps BIG) difference between the two is Levis played in the SEC his final two years.  But if another team likes him as ‘their guy’, all the better for the Bears. 

Watch out because the next 3 months there will be a lot of hype created around Will Levis and Anthony Richardson who both have better tools.  

5 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Watch out because the next 3 months there will be a lot of hype created around Will Levis and Anthony Richardson who both have better tools.  

It is the dual-threat success of Justin Fields and Lamar Jackson that will elevate Richardson as a prospect.  To some extent Josh Allen too because he had much to learn coming into the NFL and relied on his running ability for most of his first two seasons.  Teams will have more confidence there is a way to win games while the QB matures in the passing game.  How high that could move up Richardson is hard to know but it's likely more than enough to keep him solidly in the first rd.  

Rumors are already picking up the Colts are putting together a can’t-refuse trade package for the 1st pick and that will likely include players.   Everyone assumes Pittman will be included.  

if we’re going to get someone with one year left on their rookie contract I’m thinking I’d prefer Jonathan Taylor.  He had a couple ankle injuries this year and it appears he might need surgery. I’m purely guessing but that might be the procedure Harry had at the beginning of the season.   A backfield of Taylor, Herbert, and then just keep Darrynton Evans and Ebner.    

Montgomery walks and we have more FA budget.  Of course Taylor would need a new deal in 2024 but right now his valuation at OTC is around $8 mil.  Maybe that’s a bit low but would you rather have Monty at $7 mil per year or Taylor at $10mil?   Or neither and just keep drafting RBs.  

13 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Rumors are already picking up the Colts are putting together a can’t-refuse trade package for the 1st pick and that will likely include players.   Everyone assumes Pittman will be included.  

if we’re going to get someone with one year left on their rookie contract I’m thinking I’d prefer Jonathan Taylor.  He had a couple ankle injuries this year and it appears he might need surgery. I’m purely guessing but that might be the procedure Harry had at the beginning of the season.   A backfield of Taylor, Herbert, and then just keep Darrynton Evans and Ebner.    

Montgomery walks and we have more FA budget.  Of course Taylor would need a new deal in 2024 but right now his valuation at OTC is around $8 mil.  Maybe that’s a bit low but would you rather have Monty at $7 mil per year or Taylor at $10mil?   Or neither and just keep drafting RBs.  

I am good on Pittman, but I figure there will be a defensive player thrown in there for Flus/Williams.

26 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I think he keeps Monty but if he moves on , several good RBs in mid rounds. Chase Brown, Chris Rodriquez, Kenny McIntosh, Duece Vaugh. Watch tape on Rodriguez from Kentucky, he's impressive.

54 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think he keeps Monty but if he moves on , several good RBs in mid rounds. Chase Brown, Chris Rodriquez, Kenny McIntosh, Duece Vaugh. Watch tape on Rodriguez from Kentucky, he's impressive.

I watched the Illinois-Mich game and Chase Brown really impressed me.  I kept thinking he doesn't look like someone who should be hard to stop yet he kept proving me, and the Michigan defense  wrong.  He's a good football player who, at least what I saw on the field, exudes the character Eberflus wants.   

Chris Rodriguez looks ok but is more N-S style runner. 

Kenny McIntosh looks very good, versatile and runs with patience and then decisiveness and burst.  I could see him being a good fit in our scheme.   

I'd love watching Deuce Vaughn every weekend.  He makes at least one defender look silly every game. He doesn't have long speed but his burst, vision, and ability to cut at speed enable him to eat up angles early in a play.  He can catch too so he's going to be a good 3rd down back for some fortunate team, just don't ask him to block.  The Darren Sproles comparison is obvious.  

16 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I watched the Illinois-Mich game and Chase Brown really impressed me.  I kept thinking he doesn't look like someone who should be hard to stop yet he kept proving me, and the Michigan defense  wrong.  He's a good football player who, at least what I saw on the field, exudes the character Eberflus wants.   

Chris Rodriguez looks ok but is more N-S style runner. 

Kenny McIntosh looks very good, versatile and runs with patience and then decisiveness and burst.  I could see him being a good fit in our scheme.   

I'd love watching Deuce Vaughn every weekend.  He makes at least one defender look silly every game. He doesn't have long speed but his burst, vision, and ability to cut at speed enable him to eat up angles early in a play.  He can catch too so he's going to be a good 3rd down back for some fortunate team, just don't ask him to block.  The Darren Sproles comparison is obvious.  

Rodriquez is probably not an option but I loved watching him run over people. One run in the Georgia game had 6 broken tackles. Doesn't have the speed or pass catching ability. But as a 3rd  RB for short yardage situations?

Chase Brown is a complete RB that could fit our system. 4.42 speed

Devon Archane would be my favorite pick but probably a 3rd round pick which isn't where we will  be drafting one. 4.24 speed, kind of a Tarek Cohen type, not lead back.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Rodriquez is probably not an option but I loved watching him run over people. One run in the Georgia game had 6 broken tackles. Doesn't have the speed or pass catching ability. But as a 3rd  RB for short yardage situations?

Chase Brown is a complete RB that could fit our system. 4.42 speed

Devon Archane would be my favorite pick but probably a 3rd round pick which isn't where we will  be drafting one. 4.24 speed, kind of a Tarek Cohen type, not lead back.

Chase Brown keeps coming up in my PFF Mock draft simulations. 

This is worth considering among the trade down packages we're likely to see.  I think in our own way those who have been scouting players already see the issues at the top of the draft. 

This might make getting a 2024 1st Rd pick, or known good players in exchange even more of a priority for Poles.   On the other hand the balance of the article states that most teams like the depth from 10 down into the 3rd Rd.    It could also mean that Poles won't be so fixated on staying in the top 4/5 and might be more willing to drop back to 7/8/9 and get more of those value picks.  

https://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Teams-Feel-2023-NFL-Draft-Lacks-Elite-Talent

"This year, teams feel the 2023 NFL Draft lacks elite talent overall. Sources from seven different NFL teams told WalterFootball.com the only player who had received an elite grade was Texas running back Bijan Robinson.

"Of these players that you think you could say is among the best at their position in the league in their first couple of seasons, you would only say Bijan," said an AFC scouting director.

Robinson is viewed across the scouting community as being a complete package with size, speed, athleticism, rare instincts, rare receiving ability and excellent character.

The consensus top-two prospects for the 2023 NFL Draft have been Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson and Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter. All seven team sources, however, said their organizations do not have an elite grade on either of them. As previously noted in the Hot Press, Anderson carries skill-set concerns, while teams don't like parts of Carter's make up namely they question his work ethic and if he really loves football. Multiple sources also question why Carter did not produce more when he was so much more talented than the blockers he was facing."

I'll just post the byline of the video but if you can find this highlight on Youtube.  I don't know much about Pittman but when this hits a "highlights" search I wonder what Eberflus knows about his football character.  

Matt Ryan Yells “He’s F****** Trash” After Michael Pittman Didn’t Go To The Ball

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/colts-wr-michael-pittman-jr-211438318.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9zZWFyY2guYnJhdmUuY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADUvEwDawdPJUpyjHwEGB6wyBAfCwoMlcQRRLs2q_hteD7j2QAla87_efPBr4Vcn6nqjxbOGvF5cR0EbvL1kPlt4x8_loBGhMFGtTQ_LMr8nwxDhdxffPPW6ipx3hn80cIgUuj2ufF9iTPtJMtcEM7H6iCGZk2fDOGMsq9T1gy32

https://heavy.com/sports/indianapolis-colts/michael-pittman-mnf-pittsburgh-steelers/

"I let my emotions get the better of me for most of that game," Pittman Jr. said Wednesday. "That's what happens when you get emotional. You're not really playing like yourself. You don't have the same type of focus.