Anything comments

Stinger226

ALS is brutal.   To kill a bit of time lately I’ve watched some of the 85 Bears games.  McMichael gave me one of my favorite memories with this 44-0 win over the Cowboys.  
The state of Iowa is filled with Cowboy fans.  Sitting in a packed den in our dorm at Iowa State were 7 Bears fans from Chicago.  One by one the Cowboy fans shut up and then eventually left the room and just 7 finished watching the game.   McMichael was a beast in that game.  That is how I’ll always remember him.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Just seen where Danielle Hunter just signed a one year deal to stay in Minnesota.17 guaranteed and potential 20 with incentives. He had a yr left so not sure if this is an added yr or just threw out his current contract.

Over paid.   Glad they did that.  

12 minutes ago, adam said:

I actually had a little Twitter spat with ole Sam back in the day. They literally cannot backup their PFF grades with actual data, it's comical.

PFF is worse than stupid. It's a bunch of formulas that dont work, as evidenced by the output they create. And you cant argue with the guys from PFF because they can only tell you what their formulas say.|

If I say 2+2=5, you can tell me Im wrong, and show me.

If I have an algorithm that says 2+2=5, and you tell me Im wrong, I can say "no its true, thats what the algorithm says"

PFF is worse than wrong, it's misleading and ridiculous.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

PFF is worse than stupid. It's a bunch of formulas that dont work, as evidenced by the output they create. And you cant argue with the guys from PFF because they can only tell you what their formulas say.|

If I say 2+2=5, you can tell me Im wrong, and show me.

If I have an algorithm that says 2+2=5, and you tell me Im wrong, I can say "no its true, thats what the algorithm says"

PFF is worse than wrong, it's misleading and ridiculous.

It depends how you define the value of 5.  

Steve McMichael has made the top 12 for the NFL Hall of Fame, senior group.  Another for will take place in a week or two.  I know Halas Hall and the crew at ESPN1000 are pulling all their strings to help him.  From his recent picture, he won't be there to give a speech.  It sure would be heart warming for him to know before he goes.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/6L33a9aeVxV8

This is an article from The Athletic.  I hope you can open it.  It's an expert panel's rankings of NFL QB's.  Justin is 21...

I have an Athletic account. He should be in Tier 2, 10 spots better. I think Watson is ranked to high. He didnt play well last yr. Something he did 3 yrs ago should not give him cudos for ratings with such a bad yr last yr.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Didnt realize that these two OL were so similar.

That is damn near identical.  My guess is Wright has a little more discipline, punch, and tape to be penciled as RT.  Jenkins has said earlier he will be ready to move out if needed and I think with experience from last season he can play there with no hiccups. 

Right, they both measure really well, but it's important to remember that every player is a person, and uses their measurables in different ways, and with differing levels of talent.

For a long time we've suffered through the drafting of physical specimens who werent football players. So we all have seen the difference. Finally, thankfully, we do have an organization that prioritizes not only physical traits, but human football players - the kind of thing that's invisible to PFF for example. It goes beyond the stats, and beyond the understanding of sportswriters during draft time who write looking only at stats; how long someone's forearms are for example, instead of who they destroyed repeatedly on tape.

So we do clearly see that Poles definitely has a physical type he looks for on the OL. In drafting Wright, and keeping Jenkins. And both are nasty blockers too, so they have HITS attitudes.

But they're not really the same level of player. Jenkins could well be a dominating guard, maybe a top 5, but Wright has a ceiling to be a Hall Of Fame Tackle. He is all kinds of special. You see it on tape, not in numbers. Jenkins at his most promising was the 39th overall pick. Wright went 9th.

Anyway none of this to take away from Jenkins' ceiling. I believe he could become a very important piece of a dominating offensive line. He could be All Pro. I cant wait to see him blow people up and move them out of the way.

But - and I realize it's early - I don't think people really realize yet what we have in Wright. This guy is gonna be a legend.

On 7/31/2023 at 2:39 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Mahomes and Co will make #8 look great, but #1 gets me more.  I can see detroit being a top 5-8 offense but first? 

Curious to see Bienemy move to Washington for the same role. I'm suspecting he did so to come out from the Andy Reid play-calling umbrella to give him more validity as an independent play-caller.  Nagy's failure as HC did him no favors.  

32 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Curious to see Bienemy move to Washington for the same role. I'm suspecting he did so to come out from the Andy Reid play-calling umbrella to give him more validity as an independent play-caller.  Nagy's failure as HC did him no favors.  

exactly right

Saw an interview with Poles and Scott Pioli today.  Pioli asked about Wright and scouting process.  Poles went on to talk about the workout that he and our OL coach put Wright through was grueling.  Toward the end, Wright told Poles, "I'll never f'n quit on you!".  Poles said that that gave him goosebumps.  I love that shit!