Fields-O-Meter

adam

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

If I’m reading this correctly that’s the point. What they’re trying to do isn’t working. Square peg, round hole. 

I guess what I'm saying and I don't always do that well is.  What ever QB fields can become it ain't going to be here under this bunch.  And why hope they get another chance no matter who picked who.  

Not being a smart ass but I think most of us here could perhaps have a hand in presenting a better offense for fields than they have.

1 hour ago, adam said:

That is such a depressing comment. So he is now just sitting back and taking it all in and resigned to the fact that this is his peak. It is all downhill from here. I bet he realizes he is done as an NFL starting QB, the writing is on the wall. It is Year 3, Game 4 on Sunday, and you still have the same issues you had 3 years ago. No QB with stats that bad has ever made it to 30 starts, Fields is going into start #29, he may get #30 on a short week for TNF against WAS, but could that be it for him?

Look at Biggs sentiment in his piece in the Tribune. I know not everyone likes Biggs - but he is probably my personal favorite Bear writer. I feel like he is fair and balanced, but also plugged in and works hard to come up with new info and insights from scouts. It is pretty clear - reading between the lines - that he, who was really suggesting for a long time not to go to Bagent, is now starting to foreshadow that they need to make the switch, sooner vs. later.

One thing about Biggs is - he is connected, but smart about what he says (to maintain those relationships).  I think what he is saying is probably also based upon feeler(s) and thing(s) he is hearing from various coaches and personel men across the league (and within the Bears) who are all seeing what we are and that is that Fields an adjunct disaster at QB, so bad that you literally can't evaluate anyone around him.  That is a different level of dsyfunctional.

When I think of Andy Dalton - he was limited to mediocre to poor, but he could execute an NFL offense to a level where despite those limitations, you could evaluate talent, etc.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

That is such a depressing comment. So he is now just sitting back and taking it all in and resigned to the fact that this is his peak. It is all downhill from here. I bet he realizes he is done as an NFL starting QB, the writing is on the wall. It is Year 3, Game 4 on Sunday, and you still have the same issues you had 3 years ago. No QB with stats that bad has ever made it to 30 starts, Fields is going into start #29, he may get #30 on a short week for TNF against WAS, but could that be it for him?

And it's a chicken / egg kind of thing, because it is this willingness to forgive yourself and separate yourself from adversity that has prevented him from having the sense of urgency which is the only thing missing in his game. It's a kind of victim mentality "well this isnt my fault, Im surrounded by idiots and adversity, so Ill give half an effort and coil up in my entitlement and not give a crap"

I feel like these coaches love players who let them dominate them. But then youve got losers. I want a QB that gets pissed. remember Jim McMahon? he wasnt a great QB. He didnt have the best arm or anything, but he was a feisty leader that dragged his teammates to become winners. Remember him arguing with Ditka on that Monday night game against Minnesota? That miracle in the 4th quarter off the bench gave him ownership of that team.

Trubisky is a puppy, and Fields is too cool for the NFL. They both got their millions, why worry about something as dumb as sports when it doesnt come easy to you? Why dig down to really put it on the line when you can just say how dumb everyone is, and shake your head and quit and take the money?

Get me Jim Harbaugh on the phone. Or someone similar.

They say the team is a reflection of the head coach "well there were a few positives this week..."

Get me a WINNER.

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Look at Biggs sentiment in his piece in the Tribune. I know not everyone likes Biggs - but he is probably my personal favorite Bear writer. I feel like he is fair and balanced, but also plugged in and works hard to come up with new info and insights from scouts. It is pretty clear - reading between the lines - that he, who was really suggesting for a long time not to go to Bagent, is now starting to foreshadow that they need to make the switch, sooner vs. later.

One thing about Biggs is - he is connected, but smart about what he says (to maintain those relationships).  I think what he is saying is probably also based upon feeler(s) and thing(s) he is hearing from various coaches and personel men across the league (and within the Bears) who are all seeing what we are and that is that Fields an adjunct disaster at QB, so bad that you literally can't evaluate anyone around him.  That is a different level of dsyfunctional.

When I think of Andy Dalton - he was limited to mediocre to poor, but he could execute an NFL offense to a level where despite those limitations, you could evaluate talent, etc.  

Dalton started how many games for the Bears, yet somehow managed to throw for 300 yards (which I believe was the Bears last 300 yard game). Something Fields has yet to do in the NFL.

Nick Foles? Started 10 games for the Bears, he had a 300 yard game. 

It feels like the Bears kept the training wheels on Fields too long. Go back and watch that Cleveland game if you have NFL+, it was atrocious blocking, but as an NFL QB, you can't be that lackadaisical in the pocket. It's like his internal clock is slower than everyone elses. THROW THE BALL!  

Chase Daniel broke down some KC snaps.  Says Fields hasn't been good but he is not getting much help.  So maybe Fields "coaching" comment has some truth, even if he did not intend to point.  The route concepts are not getting WRs open.   

I for one notice when Fields bails the pocket, he goes awol, ready to scramble and he doesn't have the feel to slide like Arod can while still keeping his eyes watching for a receiver.  That issue is going to take time and trust.  He has been sacked the most for the snaps he has taken.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The route concepts are not getting WRs open.   

Most of the routes reviewed were long distance routes (not within the hashes) with single man coverage. And yes, the receivers were not getting open.  I didn’t see hardly any flat, slant, comeback or dig route.  Why wasn’t there more or that style sprinkled in? I realize this was just a sample size but as you said, Justin was getting little relief from coaching or his recievers. 

54 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's why I think they wait till week 8.

Even if there is a remote chance Bagent can succeed we won't be doing him any favors throwing him on the field too early.  It's odd because if we were watching Andy Dalton as our bridge QB for a 1st Rd pick we'd be hearing la lot of people say let the rookie get ready behind the scenes before throwing him to the wolves.  

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Most of the routes reviewed were long distance routes (not within the hashes) with single man coverage. And yes, the receivers were not getting open.  I didn’t see hardly any flat, slant, comeback or dig route.  Why wasn’t there more or that style sprinkled in? I realize this was just a sample size but as you said, Justin was getting little relief from coaching or his recievers. 

Did you consider we don't see those because they might be trying to call the routes or plays that Justin likes to throw to?   We have the right combination of weapons to work between the hashes:  Moore, Tonyan, Kmet, Mooney, Claypool, even the RBs could do a bit of it if we wanted to.  Yet if all Justin is gong to do is watch them be wide open and keep holding the ball then it doesn't matter.  

1 minute ago, AZ54 said:

Even if there is a remote chance Bagent can succeed we won't be doing him any favors throwing him on the field too early.  It's odd because if we were watching Andy Dalton as our bridge QB for a 1st Rd pick we'd be hearing la lot of people say let the rookie get ready behind the scenes before throwing him to the wolves.  

Definitely need to see if the line gels first.  Someone mentioned that we can't evaluate anyone else on offense because of Fields.  If Bagent can come in after week 8, that gives Jenkins 4 games back, making the other four better.  Side note:  Borom acted like he wants to be a starter again from his play on Sunday.

50 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

On single coverage - is anyone really covered. I feel like that is where you throw ball downfield and put it where your receiver can make a play. That’s how you get chunk yards and than the db has to adjust for that and next time you put it over the top. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Like Jay Cutler?  Who said “fuc# Mike Martz” and did this to Mike Tice?  

https://youtu.be/E3YORvqu4cw?si=4CRoS4sp99eHTTWX

yup, or like Tom Brady, Jim McMahon, Aaron Rodgers, and any number of winners who CARE.

Jay Cutler was a lot better than Justin fields.

46 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Did you consider we don't see those because they might be trying to call the routes or plays that Justin likes to throw to?

Again, are we trying to play to HIS strengths (and likes) or force him to do more of what he isn’t comfortable doing? Over the course of the game, how many play action, crossing routes screens or short routes are called?  From this film it doesn’t appear too often.

I can’t tell you if the calls are because that’s what Justin wants or because Getsy doesn’t know how to design them.  But I can say in the review I commented on, Chase mentioned a few plays were favorites of Aaron Rodgers (hence why Getsy would try them).  

42 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not always but a lot of the times ‘yes’. (Source: swiftys review). 

IMG_5641.png

As Swifty pointed out, the WRs are quiting on their routes on many cases. Chase Daniel and Swift had similiar pod casts pointing out the problem is not all on QB1.  The team is not prepared, let's see how they go these next few weeks and hopefully they get Jenkins and Davis, which are huge upgrades and more so if Whitehair can snap.  LT, Borum played pretty good, check out his every snap.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4_46DDirp4M

The biggest issue is the interior imo.

If we have 2 top ten picks in the draft I’m hoping, if available, we draft stud DEs so that we have a decent pass rush and also spend improving the defense in free agency unless we can significantly improve the oline.

Until we strengthen the other areas no one can say that Fields cannot become a decent QB. 

Also if coaching is an issue this needs to be addressed. 

Until we have a serviceable oline, which injuries have prevented, we cannot make an accurate assessment of Fields has a pocket passer. Unfortunately you cannot put one of the top 5 QBs behind our line to gauge how they would perform.

9 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I commented on Fields holding the ball too long on the Chase Daniels YouTube video, and all the homers came after me - Fields is great, its just the coaching, they think. Kool aid is a hell of a drug.

Everything is contributing to being bad, Fields, coaching, OL, WRs, injuries,  and a bad defense. If all of them improve 20% we might be in ball games instead of getting blown out. In the next 4 games we need to go 3-1 or 4-0, I dont think 2-2 does us any good on our long range goals.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Everything is contributing to being bad, Fields, coaching, OL, WRs, injuries,  and a bad defense. If all of them improve 20% we might be in ball games instead of getting blown out. In the next 4 games we need to go 3-1 or 4-0, I dont think 2-2 does us any good on our long range goals.

Coaching has got to go.  This team has yet to be ready or prepared.