Anything comments

Stinger226

8 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I know I am against the majority, but the Bears should have swapped Jones to RT and Wright to LT day one.  Jones can run block very well but not the best pass blocker.  In this video, it seemed like Fields had time, I'd like to see where the WRs are to figure out why he is not throwing for 250 plus yds a game. 

One thing to note, a lot of teams are sending their best pass rusher off the RT side, or they at least swap them. That is how Jones ended up on Wright for the sack he gave up. Jones is a DT. So I think we are getting to the point where the LT and RT are equally needed with the LT having a minor edge due to it being the blindside.

However, if you were going to move them, it needed to happen from Day 1.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, adam said:

One thing to note, a lot of teams are sending their best pass rusher off the RT side, or they at least swap them. That is how Jones ended up on Wright for the sack he gave up. Jones is a DT. So I think we are getting to the point where the LT and RT are equally needed with the LT having a minor edge due to it being the blindside.

However, if you were going to move them, it needed to happen from Day 1.

Wright seems very smooth in his pass blocking ability so far on the right, I feel he could be equally as good on the left too.  LT is the premier position for a reason but most teams have 2 legit DE/OLBs to contend against, so having two OTs that can move and block at a top level are also important.  Break him in on the Right and who knows, maybe next year they move him.

If anyone is getting discouraged with this rebuilding process, look no further than the Detroit Lions.  Our own David "jump cut" Montgomery cut loose for a massive 3.6 YPC and 3 TD's against the hated Pack.  The Lions built it from the trenches up and don't have a big name QB in Jared Goff.  We are in year two while they are in year four.  Patience is key.  Our new QB, next year, will have the supporting cast he needs.  The future is still bright, talent wise...

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If anyone is getting discouraged with this rebuilding process, look no further than the Detroit Lions.  Our own David "jump cut" Montgomery cut loose for a massive 3.6 YPC and 3 TD's against the hated Pack.  The Lions built it from the trenches up and don't have a big name QB in Jared Goff.  We are in year two while they are in year four.  Patience is key.  Our new QB, next year, will have the supporting cast he needs.  The future is still bright, talent wise...

I agree with this (other than that 3.6 yds/carry is good lol). I think the coaches suck, and Fields isnt the guy, but our roster is much better than last year, and I think Poles is doing a good job in terms of that.

I have no idea what GB was doing at the goal line against DET. On at least 2 of the short TD runs, there was literally no down lineman on the side of the line and Monty walked in untouched. 

What is crazy is that DET will not be able to do that all year, there is no way your lead back can have 21 rushes for 3 or less yards (he had 8 rushes for exactly 2 yards) and expect to win many games. It does help to have a double digit lead early.  However, Monty is no different than any other year.  Another comical thing, PFF loved Monty, he got a 80.2 for that game, yet if not for unbelievable blocking, he would've had 2YPC. 

On the flip side, another reason why you need the eye test to tell the story.  Love was terrible, like worse than Fields terrible. He threw the ball backwards at the feet of his RB to have the ball roll out of bounds for an 11 yard loss. He had a bunch of turnover worthy plays and was lucky to escape with only 2 INTs. If not for the refs allowing them to play after all 0s on the game clock (led to 8 pts and 50+ extra passing yards) and the other drive where they kept GB's drive alive with phantom penalties against DET, the Packers would've lost by at least 24. 

PFF Grade for Love: 68.1, PFF Grade for Goff: 72.9. Another reason why PFF alone is a joke. There is no way Love gets anything higher than a 50 for that game. QBR to me is much better, Goff had a 61.2, Love had a 7.0 which is the lowest QBR game this season beating Daniel Jones' 8.2.

2 hours ago, adam said:

PFF Grade for Love: 68.1, PFF Grade for Goff: 72.9. Another reason why PFF alone is a joke. There is no way Love gets anything higher than a 50 for that game. QBR to me is much better, Goff had a 61.2, Love had a 7.0 which is the lowest QBR game this season beating Daniel Jones' 8.2.

We should come up with a hybrid ranking system.  There's Aikman, PFF, QBR and another one that escapes me.  I think a system should factor in, first downs and have weighted points for sustained drives.

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We should come up with a hybrid ranking system.  There's Aikman, PFF, QBR and another one that escapes me.  I think a system should factor in, first downs and have weighted points for sustained drives.

Yeah, definitely need a composite system, because if you look at the OLine scores for GB, no one is terrible, yet they were allowing constant pressue. 

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

you can make a composite grade, it's a good idea - but leave PFF out of the formula, unless you want to add in dice rolls too. lol

If I used PFF, I would weight it much less. Basically make all grades into a 100 point scale, then weight them, then divide by the number of different metrics and you get a new score up to 100 using all the scores. Like if I weighted 1-5, PFF would be a 1, QBR probably a 5. 

I'm watching USC / Colorado. Caleb Williams is amazing. He's confident, decisive, creative and he has a HUGE arm. He's a leader.

If you want to see what tempo looks like - fast decisions, ball is out really quick - this is the guy. He's accurate from all kinds of positions and sidearm when necessary. he makes fast great decisions and delivers a catchable ball with zip on it. No rainbows.

He's calm in the pocket, and often has his extended team around him during timeouts and he yells encouragement at them. And they eat it up. You can see his power and influence with them.

I'm all in on Caleb Williams.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'm watching USC / Colorado. Caleb Williams is amazing. He's confident, decisive, creative and he has a HUGE arm. He's a leader.

If you want to see what tempo looks like - fast decisions, ball is out really quick - this is the guy. He's accurate from all kinds of positions and sidearm when necessary. he makes fast great decisions and delivers a catchable ball with zip on it. No rainbows.

He's calm in the pocket, and often has his extended team around him during timeouts and he yells encouragement at them. And they eat it up. You can see his power and influence with them.

I'm all in on Caleb Williams.

Williams is at the Andrew Luck level. Fields did that for a few games, but Williams does it EVERY game. Even if Fields improves, if the Bears have a chance to get Williams, you can't pass on him. I would say you trade Fields for whatever you can get (maybe a 3rd if Lance was a 4th). Williams is in another tier right now. It is hard to see him fail in the NFL. 

Now ask yourself - you're getting Caleb Williams. One more year for Eberflus? Or bring in someone else?

Even if you give Eberflus every benefit of the doubt, you know the answer. And it'd be OK if the new coach was a defensive guy. And we'd need a good OC.

But you know Eberflus doesnt match up to Williams in tone.

I honestly couldn't imagine a better situation for a QB than for the bears to draft at #1.  Rarely, if ever, does a #1 pick come into a situation where the talent up front is on the rise and to have established skill players.  If the team plays hard for Flus and shows improvement throughout the season, he may have a case to stay.  If Justin fails and they replace him with Bagent, then Bagent thrives, that's good for Getsy.  If Bagent looks like Brock Purdy, look the F out, because we trade those top picks for 8 picks within the first three rounds and we are instantly deep everywhere.  Somebody wake me up.  I must be dreaming again...

1 hour ago, adam said:

Williams is at the Andrew Luck level. Fields did that for a few games, but Williams does it EVERY game

Continuing on my Devils Advocate Saturday … 

Fields was 5-3 against SEC teams (5-2 as a Freshman while at Georgia).  Undoubtedly SEC was/is the toughest division in the NCAA.  And Justin was 3-3 in the college playoffs/bowl games (two of those losses against eventual National champ Alabama).  

So far Williams is 1-1 in bowl games (losing last year to Tulane).  I’ll stick with Justin a little bit longer. 

9 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So far Williams is 1-1 in bowl games (losing last year to Tulane).  I’ll stick with Justin a little bit longer. 

Are you saying you would keep Justin for next year and use the top picks on other positions?

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Are you saying you would keep Justin for next year and use the top picks on other positions?

As of right now, yes.  Couple reasons, he’s still on his rookie contract.  And there’s a possibility he could be great gadget player ala Taysom Hill or even Deebo Samuel.  Would really need a great offensive mind to do something like that, pretty sure Getsy ain’t it.  Another reason is I still need more time THIS YEAR to see how it pans out.   Think it was Mongo that suggested we get to at least game 8 before we make a hard decision on him.  I agree with that. 

Another thing that helped Campbell on his turnaround in Detroit was to get Goff and elevate his former TE coach Ben Johnson to OC last year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38508867/the-rise-detroit-lions-oc-ben-johnson?platform=amp

I agree that if Fields starts lighting it up, then i was wrong about him, and we can reevaluate. I know he has at least most of this season to "prove himself" - what im saying is I dont see any way it works out. His fatal flaws havent improved at all. If they do, that'll be a whole new thing.

As for his contract, if you think Williams is a once in 5 years kind of guy, you dont push off getting your new QB another year because of a rookie contract. Especially because Williams will also be on a rookie contract.

Also, there is no guarantee youll be in a position to take a QB in 2025. We have the two picks now in 2024. Fields has this year, but not next year, to prove himself.

If this comes down to the idea that you think Fields will still emerge as a top 5 type QB this year, then we disagree, but youre right he has the season to prove it.

If on the other hand youre (also?) saying that Williams isnt gonna translate well to the NFL, again we disagree, and again I cant prove it - its just an opinion, but its one that is widely shared. Then again, we can make lists of QBs who were commonly thought to be sure things that failed in the NFL too.

But I dont see Fields ever being that decisive quick processing QB, and I think Williams looks like a stud.

To be fair, Williams has a ton of protection. Id like to see more film of him under pressure.

17 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Continuing on my Devils Advocate Saturday … 

Fields was 5-3 against SEC teams (5-2 as a Freshman while at Georgia).  Undoubtedly SEC was/is the toughest division in the NCAA.  And Justin was 3-3 in the college playoffs/bowl games (two of those losses against eventual National champ Alabama).  

Fields WR Corps may have been one of the best ever with Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxson Smith-Njigba, and Jameson Williams all on the team at the same time in 2020. USC has some decent WRs, but not like that.

I have started to watch some older games on Williams and he is totally different QB than Fields. Both QBs had some easy throws or sometimes a ton of time in the pocket. However, Williams has a lot more throwing guys open and throwing before the guy is open plays. Fields has very few of those. Outside of the deep balls, where Fields is probably better, Fields almost has no intermediate game and very little in the middle of the field. 

You are down on Williams because he lost a bowl game where he threw for 462 yards and 5 TDs, with 1 INT? Those are  some high standards.

The problem now is the timeline, this team is not a year or two away, so Fields rookie contract in its 3rd year is not in line with the rebuild peak (probably 2026). Getting a QB next year after you have built enough key positions thru the draft is more conducive to a long term plan. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

You are down on Williams because he lost a bowl game where he threw for 462 yards and 5 TDs, with 1 INT? Those are  some high standards.

Wasn’t the point. Moreso who they played in that loss.  Was it Alabama or any other SEC team?  Aside from Forte and Mooney how many notable draft picks have come from Tulane on a regular basis?  

Whose fault is the lack of middle throw plays?  Did you see the Swifty report from earlier this week?  We all see the lack of those calls in game time .  Surely they must be practicing stuff like that.  🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, adam said:

On 9/28/2023 at 8:30 PM, Mongo3451 said:

I'm only discouraged by Fields' lack of progress.  Everything else is moving forward in the right direction.  We haven't seen our entire starting secondary on the field much but I think it's improved.   The depth at CB has improved as well and I look forward to seeing Smith/Stevenson on the field today.  It might decide what we do with Jaylon Johnson.  

Dline has improved too except for the pass rush.  Last year's version of the dline was so bad it's not a high bar to get better but the rookies are starting to make some plays.   We've got a couple pieces where we need 6 but it's better.   It was lost in the noise of the losing streak but late in the Tampa game we had back to back 3 and outs and gave the offense the chance to win the game.   I don't know if we ever saw that last season.  It's just a data point but you have to start somewhere.  

Oline even with all the injuries is still much better than last year.  It's not consistent but there are a lot of good downs in the mix.  

RB/WR and TE are all good position groups.