Anything comments

Stinger226

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, adam said:

He's probably just messing with you and could easily say it was me as I am more on the side of moving on than I am on keeping Fields and stacking the deck in the next draft. However, Fields will literally have to show he is the guy week in and week out AND win some games on his own. Until then, it may be better to part ways, reset the rookie QB window and try again with Williams. If the Bears win 3-4 or less, Fields is probably gone regardless. 

I really don't want to trade Fields until we know who we are replacing him with. I've heard people suggest trading him to ATL this year, which I think is absurd. What if we were to do that, and then be stuck picking the 3rd or 4th quarterback in the draft?

My plan would be to keep Fields for at least another year with a new regime and make him compete with the next guy they draft. If Fields balls out and keeps Williams or whoever on the bench, that would be a great problem to have. If not, then he's a backup for a year (or two if you pick up his 5th year option), and then either trade him or let him walk in free agency. 

To me, that would be the much smarter plan than simply just getting rid of him because you're going to draft his replacement. He's still under contract another year. Maybe a new coaching staff thinks they might be able to get something out of him.

57 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I really don't want to trade Fields until we know who we are replacing him with. I've heard people suggest trading him to ATL this year, which I think is absurd. What if we were to do that, and then be stuck picking the 3rd or 4th quarterback in the draft?

My plan would be to keep Fields for at least another year with a new regime and make him compete with the next guy they draft. If Fields balls out and keeps Williams or whoever on the bench, that would be a great problem to have. If not, then he's a backup for a year (or two if you pick up his 5th year option), and then either trade him or let him walk in free agency. 

To me, that would be the much smarter plan than simply just getting rid of him because you're going to draft his replacement. He's still under contract another year. Maybe a new coaching staff thinks they might be able to get something out of him.

Not a bad idea. Best outcome is fields plays well - bears have two good picks, Panthers pick is one that is 1st overall - Bears pick is also good, but ok if not #2 because Fields has played well.

To your point you have competition - you also have an asset in Fields. Not saying you get a bunch for him - but you still draft Caleb and than you let them push each other, eventually trade Fields but hey let’s see Fields do well - that gives more competition and more push. If Fields crushes it from here on out - even better. 

I think with Jenkins back, and finally Davis in there, the OL should start to look pretty good. We should start running the ball much better, and giving JF some more protection.

As much of a mess as the offense has been, the biggest impediment to us getting a win is going to be the lack of pass rush - but we all knew that was gonna be the story this year on defense.

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

As much of a mess as the offense has been, the biggest impediment to us getting a win is going to be the lack of pass rush - but we all knew that was gonna be the story this year on defense.

Lance Briggs is on with Kap every Monday.  He told Kap the number one thing this team needs is a 3tech.

Has anyone heard about the  Jones Injury? With Jenkins ( our best OL) coming back, does Whitehair move back to OC? Im not sure who's played better between Patrick and Whitehair. Can't find breakdowns on their next Gen stats for sacks, pressures', ect.

34 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Has anyone heard about the  Jones Injury? With Jenkins ( our best OL) coming back, does Whitehair move back to OC? Im not sure who's played better between Patrick and Whitehair. Can't find breakdowns on their next Gen stats for sacks, pressures', ect.

Jones is on IR with a neck injury, it happened quickly, which is normally not a good sign. My assumption is if the Bears are 2-7 or something like that when he could return, that they would just shut him down for the year. 

Both have been bad, but I believe Whitehair has been slightly better. 

10 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I could live with this. And really it’s a win win. 

Was watching some iso-video on Darnell Wright (embedded in the link below) and he looked pretty good.  In fact he’s slowly working his way up to notable play.  

One other player I’d like to throw an honorable mention to is Khari Blasingame. During the few plays he was in he threw some key blocks and about halfway through the video you’ll see him do one in open space on a rushing defender.  Wonder if he shouldn’t be used more in short yardage?  

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/dont-look-now-but-darnell-wright-quietly-ranks-among-nfls-best/

17 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Was watching some iso-video on Darnell Wright (embedded in the link below) and he looked pretty good.  In fact he’s slowly working his way up to notable play.  

One other player I’d like to throw an honorable mention to is Khari Blasingame. During the few plays he was in he threw some key blocks and about halfway through the video you’ll see him do one in open space on a rushing defender.  Wonder if he shouldn’t be used more in short yardage?  

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/dont-look-now-but-darnell-wright-quietly-ranks-among-nfls-best/

I think the best way to attack Washington is to have another good rushing game . That leads to play action and if you have Fields on the move , you might have a little offense. They have a weak QB and two WRS are injured, Samuel and Dobson. If we can stop the run,  it will be closer. 

9 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think with Jenkins back, and finally Davis in there, the OL should start to look pretty good. We should start running the ball much better, and giving JF some more protection.

From a glass half full perspective - there are positive things on the horizon, if the team can hold it together:

Oline: Jenkins, back following the Washington game -> Whitehair should be healed up and ready to slide to center -> Davis should have rust wore off.  Downside is Carter was playing pretty well -> Wright will have chance post Washington to get a breath after first quarter of season - but overall oline should be better positioned going forward, especially the interior of the line. Should be a boost to running game, play action, and better allow Fields to step up in the pocket

Defense: Kyler Gordon, Jaylon Johnson & Eddie Jackson should be back.  Secondary is in dire need for help.  Additionally Brisker is playing hurt - but I think Brisker will benefit from having Eddie Jackson back.  Defense will also have had a bit more time for the players to have gelled and some of the young DB's and Dlinemen will now be 5 weeks into the season and have a long week to take a breathe.  

---------------------------------------------------------

Note: Lets hope no one new goes down / suffers significant injury against Washington.  Would be nice for Fields to build on last week(s) effort and start stringing together some STRONG passing performances.  

2 hours ago, adam said:

Jones is on IR with a neck injury, it happened quickly, which is normally not a good sign. My assumption is if the Bears are 2-7 or something like that when he could return, that they would just shut him down for the year. 

Both have been bad, but I believe Whitehair has been slightly better. 

The Bears are not going to shut down Jones with half the season left. They need to see whether he is a transcending player or if he's just a meh LT.  The only way he's shut down is if his injury is really serious.  I thought the reports were it was more of a stinger type of injury, but was multiple weeks - but I thought expectation was he'd be back close to the 4 week IR window.  

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Lance Briggs is on with Kap every Monday.  He told Kap the number one thing this team needs is a 3tech.

yup.the 3T makes the cover 2 go. and honestly, the entire D line is a problem right now. Hopefully the rookies will ascend.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

yup.the 3T makes the cover 2 go. and honestly, the entire D line is a problem right now. Hopefully the rookies will ascend.

Agreed on the 3 tech.   However I suspect the run defense is suffering from some run-fit issues.  We saw this a long time even with Urlacher and Briggs on the field.  Once they got it corrected things changed quickly.  

We have new LBs from different systems and we have a bevy backup DBs.   The nickel DB is very key to the defense.  We also had two rookie DBs on the corners last week.  Things seem a lot like what we saw in Kyler Gordon’s first 8 games last year.   Even Brisker is being slow to react.   I suspect that is in part because he’s keeping an eye on more than just his assignment.  For this defense to work players must know their assignment and get to it quickly.   

15 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Agreed on the 3 tech.   However I suspect the run defense is suffering from some run-fit issues.  We saw this a long time even with Urlacher and Briggs on the field.  Once they got it corrected things changed quickly.  

We have new LBs from different systems and we have a bevy backup DBs.   The nickel DB is very key to the defense.  We also had two rookie DBs on the corners last week.  Things seem a lot like what we saw in Kyler Gordon’s first 8 games last year.   Even Brisker is being slow to react.   I suspect that is in part because he’s keeping an eye on more than just his assignment.  For this defense to work players must know their assignment and get to it quickly.   

amen

7 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

The Bears are not going to shut down Jones with half the season left. They need to see whether he is a transcending player or if he's just a meh LT.  The only way he's shut down is if his injury is really serious.  I thought the reports were it was more of a stinger type of injury, but was multiple weeks - but I thought expectation was he'd be back close to the 4 week IR window.  

Oh, I thought it was worse as he went to IR quick. It was not like a later in the week thing after some evaluation. Normally those are worse than others where they think it might only be 2-3 weeks, they don't put him on IR. IR is at least 4 weeks. 

9 minutes ago, adam said:

Oh, I thought it was worse as he went to IR quick. It was not like a later in the week thing after some evaluation. Normally those are worse than others where they think it might only be 2-3 weeks, they don't put him on IR. IR is at least 4 weeks. 

Being so short handed, they probably needed the roster spot.  We will be getting an update soon I would expect

On 9/30/2023 at 4:31 PM, BearFan PHX said:

If on the other hand youre (also?) saying that Williams isnt gonna translate well to the NFL, again we disagree, and again I cant prove it - its just an opinion, but its one that is widely shared. Then again, we can make lists of QBs who were commonly thought to be sure things that failed in the NFL too

You may have seen my side by side comparison of Fields and Purdy (0-14 and 14-0 respectively in the same span).  Goes to show you what the “experts” know.  

On 9/30/2023 at 4:31 PM, BearFan PHX said:

But I dont see Fields ever being that decisive quick processing QB, and I think Williams looks like a stud.

To be fair, Williams has a ton of protection. Id like to see more film of him under pressure.

To me and assuming Williams decides to enter the draft after this season, it’ll come down to how he does against some of the remaining opponents on this years’ schedule (#10 Notre Dame, #7 Washington and #8 Oregon among them).  And if USC makes it into the playoffs who they play and how they fare against them.

11 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

You may have seen my side by side comparison of Fields and Purdy (0-14 and 14-0 respectively in the same span).  Goes to show you what the “experts” know.  

To me and assuming Williams decides to enter the draft after this season, it’ll come down to how he does against some of the remaining opponents on this years’ schedule (#10 Notre Dame, #7 Washington and #8 Oregon among them).  And if USC makes it into the playoffs who they play and how they fare against them.

yeah, there are no experts on the planet who can tell you how a college QB will fare in the NFL. I mean except me. LOL just kidding. No one ever knows. There are signs, and trends and stuff to look at, but you never really know, all the way up to the top decision makers in the league. I do think watching tape is better than reading stats, but for QBs, it's a giant mystery. And then there's how would fields look in SF or Purdy here. So many variables.

But what I think you can say is that after enough NFL tape you know what a guy's ceiling is. You might not know if the next QB or coach is gonna be great, but you can say whether the one you've got is?

I'm looking forward to seeing how Williams looks under pressure for sure. I have a fantasy of Williams lighting it up for us next year to DJ Moore and Marvin Harrison Jr.

And we're gonna need a bunch of defensive linemen too - both rookies and free agents.

And some coaches to put them in the right places :)

Here's a hot take that Im sure will be somewhat controversial.

While I expect that Flus will be fired soon, with all these experts saying that Fields isn't the problem, and it's the coaching, if we don't fire Flus, maybe Fields' trade value goes up because a few teams think it was all the coaching? Whereas if you change the coaches and then Fields is no better with the new coach, there goes the trade value?