Anything comments

Stinger226

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Heard that Tevin Jenkins has a leg injury and may miss 4 weeks at the start of the season. They havent been official with that news but Brad Briggs reports his sources stated that.

Much chatter confirming same on Xitter.  Some speculate Jenkins could be out for up to 6 weeks.  In comes Leatherwood to prove himself and I suspect we’ll see some of  recent waiver acquisition Logan Stenberg.  If after this next preseason game (or before) the Bears make another move for IOL then there’s still some decisions being made.  Meanwhile…

https://x.com/imbearingdown/status/1693483896493511008?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

https://x.com/eriklambert1/status/1693384174269264290?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Leatherwood's technique is so lazy.  I can't believe he won the Outland trophy.  Way too much leaning and not enough foot and punch energy.

He completely whiffed on one stunt, that was so slow I saw it real time (we're not talking elite Dline from Indy).  DT or DE just ran right past him and he barely flinched.  I can't believe he's ahead of Carter and so I expect we'll see Carter at LG this week.  Give Carter some game time at LG and then all the practice reps there before Wk 1.   By the time we get to Wk 1 we'll have a good backup for both OG spots for the rest of the season.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

He completely whiffed on one stunt, that was so slow I saw it real time (we're not talking elite Dline from Indy).  DT or DE just ran right past him and he barely flinched.  I can't believe he's ahead of Carter and so I expect we'll see Carter at LG this week.  Give Carter some game time at LG and then all the practice reps there before Wk 1.   By the time we get to Wk 1 we'll have a good backup for both OG spots for the rest of the season.  

Carter will start if Jenkins is out. Hopefully reports are off and Jenkins injury is less serious. Carter got a ton of first team reps when Davis was out so pretty clear in my mind where he stands on depth chart relative to Leatherwood. 

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Leatherwood's technique is so lazy.  I can't believe he won the Outland trophy.  Way too much leaning and not enough foot and punch energy.

I just watched Swift's Oline breakdown from the Colts game.  Aside from the lazy technique I now  think Leatherwood's greatest weakness is a lack of core strength.  Power in your upper body and/or  lower body means little if there is no core to bring it together.  He leans into blocks...a lot, which is something you have to do when you lack core strength (watch people open heavy doors).  DTs smack at his arm and his upper body gets rotated easily, which takes his arms/hands off his target.  If he doesn't lean forward he gets rocked backward (arched back).  Leatherwood even has trouble getting off his initial block to get to the second level because there's no power being delivered in that one arm.  He can't keep himself upright while slowing down the DT, he literally has to lean into them and then try to run away to get to the second level.      

We all hear about keeping your center of mass under control and technique to do that, but it's much more intuitive to do that if your core is doing its job.  

Watch around the 9 min mark and see Borom and Leatherwood blocking on the same play.  Borom in particular looks much better this year even when a defender gets into him hard.  If you have time watch more of the plays and you'll see Carter generally has good technique and can hold his ground with it, though he still needs work.  I'll give you Borom's highlights from last year for comparison and you only need to watch a couple min to see the difference in him this year.    

For an inverse example see Gervon Dexter who has the core strength but it has allowed him to get by, to this point, with poor technique.  

So, Ive been operating under the assumption that Bagent's arm wasn't that strong. All his college highlights are short passes, accurate, but not especially zippy, and none downfield.

Then I start reading today that he is considered to have a strong arm and accuracy is his issue. Now the guy had a 69% completion ratio in college, and threw 159 TDs and only 48 interceptions. You dont do that if youre not accurate. And I saw no evidence of a strong arm.

So now I am confused.

I dont see how this guy went undrafted unless there is a major hole in his game, and accuracy wouldnt be it - not with his production. It MUST be his arm. Do sportswriters really just get caught in an echo chamber and suddenly you find a bunch of articles all saying the same wrong thing?

I will be very interested to watch him this weekend. I hope they dial up some long passes too.

Hmm

9 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Do sportswriters really just get caught in an echo chamber and suddenly you find a bunch of articles all saying the same wrong thing?

Yes.   Here's another breakdown of Bagent's performance from JT O'Sullivan to tide you over until tomorrow's game.   

9 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont see how this guy went undrafted unless there is a major hole in his game, and accuracy wouldnt be it - not with his production. It MUST be his arm. Do sportswriters really just get caught in an echo chamber and suddenly you find a bunch of articles all saying the same wrong thing?

A huge reason he went undrafted was probably because he was DII.  I have to think that players like Wentz and Lance (coming from FCS school ND State) are putting a collective bad taste in the mouths of scouts. They may have been a bit gun shy about a guy who played for  the Shepard Rams.  

As far as production, look no further than the competition he played against.  Nowhere on his collegiate record does he show wins against Alabama, LSU, Georgia or even Nebraska. And so far his single outing was against a group of 2nd and 3rd string hopefuls that he had practiced against for most of the week prior.  

This is not to say he couldn’t be the Mozart of football or even the next Brock Purdy. I agree with you that he sure looked good in his debut and I hope that it transfers to a long and reputable career in the NFL (as a Bears QB).  I’m just holding back my excitement a bit longer.   Especially since we have Justin Fields still on the team. 

I don't care how strong Bagent's arm is.  As long as he can run the offense efficiently, nothing else matters.  If he proves to be outstanding at running our offense, it will be nothing but a plus.  There are many weak armed SB champion and HOF QB's out there to reference.

25 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

A huge reason he went undrafted was probably because he was DII.  I have to think that players like Wentz and Lance (coming from FCS school ND State) are putting a collective bad taste in the mouths of scouts. They may have been a bit gun shy about a guy who played for  the Shepard Rams.  

As far as production, look no further than the competition he played against.  Nowhere on his collegiate record does he show wins against Alabama, LSU, Georgia or even Nebraska. And so far his single outing was against a group of 2nd and 3rd string hopefuls that he had practiced against for most of the week prior.  

This is not to say he couldn’t be the Mozart of football or even the next Brock Purdy. I agree with you that he sure looked good in his debut and I hope that it transfers to a long and reputable career in the NFL (as a Bears QB).  I’m just holding back my excitement a bit longer.   Especially since we have Justin Fields still on the team. 

Brock Purdy's limitations will be more visible this year now that teams have a full offseason of tape on him.  That said he has the right coach calling plays and the talent around him to mask his limitations  and play to his strengths.  JimmyG took SF pretty far before becoming an NFL cast-off (aka bridge QB).  Trey Lance eh, not so much.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The discussion about Chris Jones has been percolating just below the surface for awhile. Now ESPN is confirming there’s been a “discussion”.  

Im honestly not sure what I think of it. 

https://x.com/nflnotify/status/1695187679850418266?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

If the Bears are in contention, then sure.  I feel like they are a year out if Fields can take a step this year and show he can be a pocket passer.  If Poles sees it in practice that he is that, then maybe the division can be ours with Jones on the team. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The discussion about Chris Jones has been percolating just below the surface for awhile. Now ESPN is confirming there’s been a “discussion”.  

Im honestly not sure what I think of it. 

https://x.com/nflnotify/status/1695187679850418266?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

They talked a lot about that yesterday on ESPN1000.

I think it's a bad idea to give up a first rounder for a29 year old DT, especially when we just drafted two promising rookies.  Hopefully, he's just sniffing around to gauge the price.  Depending on Justin, we may need that extra 1st round pick badly.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

They talked a lot about that yesterday on ESPN1000.

I think it's a bad idea to give up a first rounder for a29 year old DT, especially when we just drafted two promising rookies.  Hopefully, he's just sniffing around to gauge the price.  Depending on Justin, we may need that extra 1st round pick badly.

Agreed.  Just sit tight and build through the draft.  

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

In other news, the mastermind 49er GM, traded QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for a 4th RD pick.  That was after this GM traded 3 first RD picks to trade up for him.  At least he got Pace to give him something for Trubisky.

With those first round picks that roster would be incredible, or at least make it easier to hold onto their top 5 power ranking as they let expensive vets go.    

16 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

With those first round picks that roster would be incredible, or at least make it easier to hold onto their top 5 power ranking as they let expensive vets go.    

They have the least expensive QB's in the league.  They can clown how they want to clown for the next 3 years.  But, all those picks would be nasty.  It's Lynch's curse for screwing us over...😎

For some reason my Twitter stuff isn’t automatically saving the links with the pictures etc. So I did a screenshot of a Tweet I saw recently.  Gotta admit I’m proud to be a Bear fan for a lot of reasons, one of them is the family-esque vibe I get with them.  This is classy and worthy of note:  

IMG_5404.jpeg