Anything comments

Stinger226

BTW, Montgomery had a -9 RYOE, so he had 9 yards less than expected for his 21 carries (-0.45 per carry). That is terrible. I hope they keep feeding him. He was the 6th worst back in the NFL last year for RYOE. Herbert was 4th best with the least amount of carries.

For RYOE/ATT, Herbert was 1st in the NFL at +1.29 per carry, Foreman was 9th with +0.61, and Montgomery was -0.26. 

Monty was also -0.36 in 2021 after being +0.20 in 2020. His rookie year he was -0.22. So he has always been a below average RB. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Toney got cut by the Chiefs. Great move.

Chiefs are not in a rebuilding phase like we were last year when we had to deal with subpar talent. The great move would have been cutting him before he lost you a game.   Or say maybe not putting him on the field as often as they did?   There’s no way a good organization can get through training camp and preseason without knowing his issues.  

Swift showed that same play and a few others.  He'll have a full review of all-22 out in the next day or two.  

The block Tonyan made (avoided) looks like what you get when someone is paid off to throw a game.   So many other simple mistakes that could have changed the game, at least to make it more competitive.   IMO we lost this game at the LOS with poor blocking and poor pass rush.   Hopefully Swift gives us some insight on who did what in the trenches.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Swift showed that same play and a few others.  He'll have a full review of all-22 out in the next day or two.  

The block Tonyan made (avoided) looks like what you get when someone is paid off to throw a game.   So many other simple mistakes that could have changed the game, at least to make it more competitive.   IMO we lost this game at the LOS with poor blocking and poor pass rush.   Hopefully Swift gives us some insight on who did what in the trenches.

The play where Wright and Johnson try to tackle Walker on the pick six was another great  illustration of the hustle from the two rookies.  And that was the second time Johnson had hands into him (the first being the very start of the turnover).   

We've compared Jalen Carter and Gervon Dexter physically.  Now that I've seen them play against NFL talent.  There is no more comparison.  Carter is different, in a special way.  Dexter is a fine piece, but may end up being a NT.  I still like OL with our first pick.  Imagine how it would look of we didn't get Wright...

14 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We've compared Jalen Carter and Gervon Dexter physically.  Now that I've seen them play against NFL talent.  There is no more comparison.  Carter is different, in a special way.  Dexter is a fine piece, but may end up being a NT.  I still like OL with our first pick.  Imagine how it would look of we didn't get Wright...

True and also the reason we passed on Carter isnt because we thought Dexter was the better player, it's because Carter is (potentially) a character problem, a suspension risk, a cancer in the locker room etc. And that doesn't come out in week 1 tape.

Also, even if Philly does manage to keep him in a good place, it is because they have so many talented veteran DL who can provide leadership. It doesnt mean he wouldnt have run roughshod over these coaches and been a real problem.

Hell I still dont even know what happened with Davis all offseason.

So I still think we made the right choice passing on him no matter how well he plays in Philadelphia.

And just like that the defending NFC North Champion Minnesota Vikings are 0-2.  And this despite Kirk Cousins throwing 708 yards for 6 TDs and 1 INT over the  course of two games.  Tonight he lost to Jalen Hurts who is averaging 181 yards a game and has thrown 2 TDs and 1 INT in that same span (and his team is 2-0).  Heck, Hurts’ overall total of 363 yards in two games is less that Kirk's 364 yards from tonight's single game.  Crazy. 

The Carter stuff is going to go on for awhile, especially if he is looking Donald-esque on the field. However, don't forget he is on an elite DLine and they can't double everyone. Also, it is much easier to handle a problem children when you are winning. So who knows.

Neither team looked particularly good.

Minnesota already correcting for last year's 11-1 in one score games. 

A huge chunk of Cousins stats came after they were down 27-7, and what is wild is 117 of Hurts' 193 passing yards came on two plays to Smith. So he had 16 other completions for 76 yards. Without those 2 passes (blown coverages), he looks atrocious. 

Minnesota has absolutely no running game. Mattison was 8-28 with a fumble after he was 11-34 in Week 1. They released Cook thinking Mattison was a carbon copy.  Minnesota had 4 fumbles lost, wow.

SF and Dallas look like the best teams in the NFC right now. Surprisingly, KC, CIN, and BUF in the AFC do not. MIA, CLE, and LAC look like the top teams. So maybe the league isn't weighted so heavily towards the AFC after all. 

14 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

After 8 games, the cream of the crop will surface. One game just isn't enough input to make a fair assessment.  If it was Chiefs, Bengals and Buffalo are done. They are not.

Yeah, I like doing a true eval at the quarter pole (after Week 4), but there is a mini-bye after Week 5's TNF against WAS, so that is probably the best time to look at everything. They should come out of that little bye a little better for the next batch of games until the next mini-bye after the 2nd TNF game against CAR. 

1st quarter - GB, TB, KC, DEN, WAS (TNF) at this point 2-3 in this 5 is probably fair. 3-2 would be amazing.

2nd quarter - MIN, LVR, LAC, NO, CAR (TNF) - Assuming 2-3, but another 3-2 would be crazy good here. 

3rd quarter - DET, MIN, DET (Division quarter) > may decide season here. Need 2-1 here with some luck as good as 8-5 here, but as low as 5-8. 

4th quarter - CLE, ARZ, ATL, GB. They will be in the hunt heading into the last 4 games, or needing a miracle (4-0) to sneak in. Odds are they will be somewhere in the middle, 6-7 wins with 4 to play. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, adam said:

Thoughts

First, anymore than three wins is an improvement.  😎👍

I’m still waiting to see how ‘legit’ Detroit is after their first week win.  There’s no doubt they were prepared to play and took advantage of the opportunity they were presented. That’s how you do it.  But knowing the Lions history, we’ll just have to see how this plays out.  

GB is still an apparition to me. I don’t think Love is as good as our team made him look last week.  Their success still remains to be seen.

And if anyone thought Minny was going to come in and re-take the NFC North title…definitely not looking good.  They seem to be their own worst enemy. 

Point being, I think the NFC North will be  there for the taking (it won’t be the BEST division  for sure).  But if the Bears can stay at or just above .500 this season, I think they’re in the mix . 

Got to thinking how could the Bears better help Fields?  I realize that ultimately Getsy is responsible for the scheme of the overall offensive game and Fields is responsible for execution.   But who is Justin’s position coach that has his ear after each offensive series?  Right now that guy is Andrew Jonocko.  Who?  Yeah that’s what I thought. He apparently played ball at the University of Pittsburgh as a BACKUP QB his whole career.  (Thats almost as illustrious as being an AFL QB for six years and playing for four different teams during that time - at least Nagy was the starter when he played for the ‘Fightin Blue Hens).  Anyhow, I digress.  

Jonocko has been coaching for the last 11 years, seven of those while with the Vikings.  During his time with Minnesota the team was most successful while he was an ass’t or co-OFFENSIVE LINE COACH.  Not a QB coach.  How is this the guy working with Justin on seeing the field and analyzing plays between series?  

For me I’d like a more seasoned position coach or at least one that has some legit playing time in the position.  Surely there’s a former 1st round pick (except for Mark Sanchez) out there somewhere who’s available to do just that?  Or better yet, maybe a former Big 10 QB who has been coaching that could work with Justin on ‘seeing the field’?  Anyone on Harbaughs staff in Michigan?  Anyone?