Anything comments

Stinger226

31 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Got to thinking how could the Bears better help Fields?  I realize that ultimately Getsy is responsible for the scheme of the overall offensive game and Fields is responsible for execution.   But who is Justin’s position coach that has his ear after each offensive series?  Right now that guy is Andrew Jonocko.  Who?  Yeah that’s what I thought. He apparently played ball at the University of Pittsburgh as a BACKUP QB his whole career.  (Thats almost as illustrious as being an AFL QB for six years and playing for four different teams during that time - at least Nagy was the starter when he played for the ‘Fightin Blue Hens).  Anyhow, I digress.  

Jonocko has been coaching for the last 11 years, seven of those while with the Vikings.  During his time with Minnesota the team was most successful while he was an ass’t or co-OFFENSIVE LINE COACH.  Not a QB coach.  How is this the guy working with Justin on seeing the field and analyzing plays between series?  

For me I’d like a more seasoned position coach or at least one that has some legit playing time in the position.  Surely there’s a former 1st round pick (except for Mark Sanchez) out there somewhere who’s available to do just that?  Or better yet, maybe a former Big 10 QB who has been coaching that could work with Justin on ‘seeing the field’?  Anyone on Harbaughs staff in Michigan?  Anyone?  

I believe Janocko is also a big part of the run game planning.  Considering how well that worked with Fields last year when we finally turned to it maybe he has a better feel for what we should be doing on offense than Getsy?   

Fields was still too mechanical in the pocket and he still needs to learn how to slide around.  I'm thinking at this point that will never happen.  He's such an elite athlete in his mind I feel he's thinking just hold, hold, then run and get outside the pocket.   Maybe with a bit more consistent protection he'll relax a bit and let that come to him.  After watching film he has to have a lot more confidence in Darnell Wright who even if he gets backup a bit can and will anchor.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Got to thinking how could the Bears better help Fields?  I realize that ultimately Getsy is responsible for the scheme of the overall offensive game and Fields is responsible for execution.   But who is Justin’s position coach that has his ear after each offensive series?  Right now that guy is Andrew Jonocko.  Who?  Yeah that’s what I thought. He apparently played ball at the University of Pittsburgh as a BACKUP QB his whole career.  (Thats almost as illustrious as being an AFL QB for six years and playing for four different teams during that time - at least Nagy was the starter when he played for the ‘Fightin Blue Hens).  Anyhow, I digress.  

Jonocko has been coaching for the last 11 years, seven of those while with the Vikings.  During his time with Minnesota the team was most successful while he was an ass’t or co-OFFENSIVE LINE COACH.  Not a QB coach.  How is this the guy working with Justin on seeing the field and analyzing plays between series?  

For me I’d like a more seasoned position coach or at least one that has some legit playing time in the position.  Surely there’s a former 1st round pick (except for Mark Sanchez) out there somewhere who’s available to do just that?  Or better yet, maybe a former Big 10 QB who has been coaching that could work with Justin on ‘seeing the field’?  Anyone on Harbaughs staff in Michigan?  Anyone?  

I feel Trubisky vibes on bringing QB coaches and players to help him figure it out.  If he doesn't get it this year, he never will.  I'll give him some benefit that the line has been garbage but that will hopefully change in a few weeks of Jenkins and Whitehair get healthy and move back to original positions.

7 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I feel Trubisky vibes on bringing QB coaches and players to help him figure it out.  If he doesn't get it this year, he never will. 

Sure, but a guy who’s only marked success may have been while HELPING to coach the oline doesn’t seem like the smartest way to do business. 

Anyhow, did a little more reading and Getsy also attended (and played for ) the University of Pittsburgh so possibly that’s the connection between he and Janoko. 

I only got to see the last 7min of the MNF game but Bryce Young does not look like an NFL QB.  I still think it was the right call to see what Fields could do because a bird in the hand is always the better option.   It's not working out for whatever reason with Fields and after MNF my hopes have gone higher for getting the 1st overall pick next year.   

For some reason I also watched Drake Maye on Sat and he didn't look like an NFL QB either.  Arm talent is there but reading the field eh not so much, at least in that game.  He's also not hte best athlete on the move.  So that brings me to just one...Caleb Williams.  I've only seen him play for about 10min so far this season but he looks the part.  

16 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I only got to see the last 7min of the MNF game but Bryce Young does not look like an NFL QB.  I still think it was the right call to see what Fields could do because a bird in the hand is always the better option.   It's not working out for whatever reason with Fields and after MNF my hopes have gone higher for getting the 1st overall pick next year.   

For some reason I also watched Drake Maye on Sat and he didn't look like an NFL QB either.  Arm talent is there but reading the field eh not so much, at least in that game.  He's also not hte best athlete on the move.  So that brings me to just one...Caleb Williams.  I've only seen him play for about 10min so far this season but he looks the part.  

I agree with this. Keeping Fields this year to see what he is was the right thing to do especially with the options at QB in the 23 draft. The 24 draft looks much better, and we will be bringing a QB into a team that already has some structure around him to help him.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So lets say Fields doesnt get better, what trade capital will he bring? I would say it would be draft day and what draft pick? There will be several coaches that will think they can fix him. Does someone give us a #1-#2?

Today, maybe Trey Lance value.  If Getsy can get do some magic and adjust the scheme, they might save face.  They need to cut the field in half and give Fields a moving pocket.  Similiar to what they had to do for Trubisky.  I'm not saying do this every play, but ease him into becoming a pure pocket QB.  He doesn't have timing down to throw the ball.  Mix it up and he might find comfort. 

21 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So lets say Fields doesnt get better, what trade capital will he bring? I would say it would be draft day and what draft pick? There will be several coaches that will think they can fix him. Does someone give us a #1-#2?

Lance got a 4th round pick, I would think Fields has shown more and would get a 3rd. I doubt anyone gives up any more than that because of the cap hit and expiration of his rookie contract. Another interesting thing will be to see what they do about Fields 5th year option. They have to make that decision after this season.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Lance got a 4th round pick, I would think Fields has shown more and would get a 3rd. I doubt anyone gives up any more than that because of the cap hit and expiration of his rookie contract. Another interesting thing will be to see what they do about Fields 5th year option. They have to make that decision after this season.

I think if he doesnt show the proper improvement, they will draft a QB and work out some kind of draft day trade. No way they draft another QB and keep him on the roster. I know its wishful thinking but at some point they will see what they have in Bagent and he will be the backup next year. If it ends up being a Brock Purdy situation, it may be a different story.

Interesting news on the Williams front.  Evidently both Williams’ residence and Halas Hall were “raided” as of late.  And when they say raided, they mean FBI.  As an aside, for those that may recall “Peanut” Tillman joined the FBI after retiring.  

Associated story: https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2023/09/20/halas-hall-alan-williams/

IMG_5613.jpeg

Reading between the lines here this means Bagent just got promoted to 2nd string.  Most likely we're moving Peterman back to the practice squad where he'll dress as the emergency QB.  I take this as very good news that Bagent continues to excel, at least as far as backup QBs go.  

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Anyone watch the game last night? Lots of horizonal plays for the 49ers. The difference  was they made plays that we are not making.

Purdy threw for 310 yards, but he didn't look particularly good. It makes it much easier when you are throwing to McCaffrey, Deebo, and Kittle. Aiyuk didn't even play. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

Purdy threw for 310 yards, but he didn't look particularly good. It makes it much easier when you are throwing to McCaffrey, Deebo, and Kittle. Aiyuk didn't even play. 

I saw something earlier today that said SF is sorta in a ‘win now’ mode.  Several of their key players are in the top 5 wage earners of each of their positions to include FB Kyle Jusczyk (sp?) who is the top paid FB in the league.  They are saved by things like Purdy who was picked in the seventh round and still on his rookie contract.  However if anyone of those key players are injured, they don’t have much depth nor money to bring in a decent veteran to help. And they aren’t sure about how they’ll go about paying for a player like Aiyuk next year as I understand he’s due a new contract. They are at a tipping point. 

In relation to this I like what Poles is doing and how he’s doing it through the draft.  The team has been starting rookies these last two seasons in key positions and not paying a lot for players who were not drafted (Sanborn and Bagent among them).  He’s trying to set a good base with young players while he works this rebuild.  The results aren’t miraculous but give it time I think it’ll all come together . 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Here is Darnell Wright in every pass play at KC He gave up 1 sack and played well. He is going to be an all rookie and future pro bowler. He was not a mistake being our first pick.

I know I am against the majority, but the Bears should have swapped Jones to RT and Wright to LT day one.  Jones can run block very well but not the best pass blocker.  In this video, it seemed like Fields had time, I'd like to see where the WRs are to figure out why he is not throwing for 250 plus yds a game.