Anything comments

Stinger226

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Warren might just clean out the whole house.  He also wants to be more involved on the football side. 

Screenshot_20231123_122909_Twitter.jpg

Please no!  Hell no!  Warren is not even a football guy.  Seriously, he was a basketball player.  Leave Poles alone to finish his vision. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Please no!  Hell no!  Warren is not even a football guy.  Seriously, he was a basketball player.  Leave Poles alone to finish his vision. 

That is just someone's opinion. I get the coaching changes but you fire a GM after his second year of of a 3-4 rebuild that has actually rebuilt the DBs, LBers room, in the process of the DL, OL, WR room and gave this team a group of good RBs in 2 years ? That's bullshut. Like you said, Warren never run the personal on a team before, strictly finances.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Never know now that Warren is here and has his own mindset on running the team.  I would think he would like Poles but maybe they do not jive.  Putting some pressure on the GM doesn't hurt when this franchise had been a joke for too long.  We need to be good now and we are closer to another tear down if we are firing coaches and going young at QB.  

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Putting some pressure on the GM doesn't hurt when this franchise had been a joke for too long.  We need to be good now and we are closer to another tear down if we are firing coaches and going young at QB. 

I don't think this was part of his hiring.  When they tore the team down to the bones, they knew it would be three years.  Regardless of whether they keep Poles or not, there won't need to be a rebuild.  Talent,  cap and draft capitol are in house to start winning immediately. 

Poles came into a situation with 5 draft picks, no first, and 5 mil in cap space plus a bad roster. He turned that into 11 picks. Still on the roster: Kyle Gordon, Brisker, Braxton Jones, Trent Gill (starters) able backups Elijah Hicks, Ja'Trye Carter. V Jones and Robinson aint working out. UDFAs Sanborn, Jaylon Jones are still on the roster. 

The losing sucks but he has completely rebuilt this roster only 8 remain from the original roster. Yes he has made some mistakes but has added many core players, 2 first round 2024 picks and 82 mil in cap space and his second year isnt over with yet. IMO he has did a very great job.  

19 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

No doubt, that'd be a total disaster.  Warren didn't hire Poles but the owner did.  The owners also hired Warren to focus on the new stadium.  Keep it that way.  

12 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

No doubt, that'd be a total disaster.  Warren didn't hire Poles but the owner did.  The owners also hired Warren to focus on the new stadium.  Keep it that way.  

For some reason a lot of people think he was hired to remake the Bears after just hiring a new GM and coach. He may end up being more involved but only after the stadium becomes more defined but they're not even sure where they are putting it. I suspect Poles gets 4 years to rebuild the team and if successful will still be here. If he goes then maybe Warren becomes more involved but that is years down the road.

I doubt Warren cleans house. He knows Poles didn't really get to pick "his" guy. He was given a set of coaches to choose from. Flus may have been on his list, but may not have been his top guy. Poles has done a great job with the cap and draft capital. He just needs to work on his pro level scouting as that seems to be a little more hit and miss than we would like to see. 

I think Poles sticks around to draft a new QB paired with a new HC. That would buy Poles at least 3 more years. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

I doubt Warren cleans house. He knows Poles didn't really get to pick "his" guy. He was given a set of coaches to choose from. Flus may have been on his list, but may not have been his top guy. Poles has done a great job with the cap and draft capital. He just needs to work on his pro level scouting as that seems to be a little more hit and miss than we would like to see. 

I think Poles sticks around to draft a new QB paired with a new HC. That would buy Poles at least 3 more years. 

I think that's a fair assessment regarding Poles and what he's done, but it leaves out if Warren has another guy he wants. That could tip the scales against Poles.

Poles deserves more time i think, but I doubt anyone at the Bears cares what he deserves, and it's more about what the other options are too?

If things don't turn around pretty quick, Warren will be on the chopping block too, so he will want his best options to win.

I would love to see a total house cleaning by Kevin Warren, if for no other reason than to keep a QB/HC/GM all on the same timeline for the first time since the 90's, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

As things stand today, I think Eberflus is fired. The Bears would probably take Caleb Williams with the #1 pick and trade Fields while extending Poles to match him up with the new head coach.

The worst possible thing they could do is keep Eberflus AND draft a new quarterback, which is what they've done each of the last two times they spent a high first round pick on a quarterback. Don't draft quarterbacks to lame duck head coaches unless your goal is to ruin them.

25 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I would love to see a total house cleaning by Kevin Warren, if for no other reason than to keep a QB/HC/GM all on the same timeline for the first time since the 90's, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

The only thing I would change,  is that I would let Poles pick his next coach and tie his career to that.  His drafting and thought process has been excellent.  Besides, I think ol George had a slight hand in the hiring Eberflus.

Warren was brought in to build the stadium, he lacks the  experience in running the personal and daily football operation. I think his goal is to oversee all of it after he gets the stadium started . I dont think he was given the power to crash a rebuild not even 2 yrs in.   Poles walked in with the concept of building thru the draft.  in the history of the NFL , no one has completely rebuilt a roster with 2 drafts. I think he gets 4 but not even 2 yrs has passed and  you are started to see what he wants. One more draft and we should be able to see the fruits of his rebuild. I get the talk of Flus being gone but thinking Poles could be gone is someone doing some powerful drugs. It aint going to happen. Next year is when he will judged on wins and losses. 

49 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

As things stand today, I think Eberflus is fired. The Bears would probably take Caleb Williams with the #1 pick and trade Fields while extending Poles to match him up with the new head coach.

The worst possible thing they could do is keep Eberflus AND draft a new quarterback, which is what they've done each of the last two times they spent a high first round pick on a quarterback. Don't draft quarterbacks to lame duck head coaches unless your goal is to ruin them.

Well I guess it all comes down to what Warren thinks of Poles, and compared to whoever else he has on his list.

As to the having everyone in the same window, argument that makes sense if you're saying the coach came before the GM, and QB etc, but since Poles is the top link in that chain, if Warren likes him, he can easily align his contract to any incoming coach and QB from here, so Im not sure that's an argument like it would be for hiring a coach before a GM for example?

I know Flus and his staff are gone. I am pretty sure Fields is gone too. Im 50/50 on Poles, and again that's mostly because I don't know who Warrens other options are. Poles has been doing pretty well in my opinion.

I also want to say I'm a little nervous to hear that Warren wants to be more involved in football operations. If that means looking at a new GM, so be it. That's definitely his job. If it means telling Poles he must fire Eberflus, if Poles needed to be told that, then he should be fired just for that. So unless it specifically only means firing Poles and replacing him it's a problem. In other words if it means being more involved than that, then I think Warren is out of his lane and could be an issue.

Warren is President, not GM. Presidents negotiate stadium deals, and concern themselves with ticket prices, and advertising, promotions stuff like that. They are marketers, and relationship makers. They do the daily nitty gritty job of operating the team. And they hire and fire the GM. That's it.

If he does try to stick his fingers into the pie it could be a disaster, and if it means he is only looking at coaches that will let him do that, then we've just created a monster in the form of new powerful figure at Halas Hall doing EXACTLY what the McCaskeys and Ted Phillips were doing. Please say it aint so.

I ran a plumbing business for 15 years . I didnt hire an account to go bid jobs for me, maybe he learned enough to do that after a few years but he didnt have the experience. Same goes for Warren, he may want to oversee everything but havent even nailed where the stadium will  be yet. I truly doubt he's worry about day to day operations quite yet. Of course he dont like the losing but every thing takes time. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I ran a plumbing business for 15 years . I didnt hire an account to go bid jobs for me, maybe he learned enough to do that after a few years but he didnt have the experience. Same goes for Warren, he may want to oversee everything but havent even nailed where the stadium will  be yet. I truly doubt he's worry about day to day operations quite yet. Of course he dont like the losing but every thing takes time. 

yeah, if Warren is pushing coaching hires, QBs or top draft picks he is playing GM when he shouldnt.

5 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Spot on 

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Interesting fact:

TJ Edwards leads the NFL in tackles with 121

#2 is Roquan Smith with 118

I guess we saved a bunch of money and Poles was right - even as Roquan is doing great too.

He was doing so good, I made a thread:

PFF has Roquan as #10 and Edwards as #16 in their grading system. Interestingly, Roquan has the two worst games from the two players and the three highest. So Edwards has been way more consistent and reliable.

The defense is just rounding into form with Sweat a part of it and injured players coming back. In 2025 , the last year of TJs contract I suspect they resign him to a big contract. Edmunds contract will be where you can move on from him after the 2025 season. Edmunds is a good player and I think we will see more wow plays from him as our pass rush does better. Yes it looks like Poles over paid him and under paid Edwards but you have to look at the continued cap space. Poles has us still in a good place. Its always easy to look back when looking at contracts , Poles doesnt have that luxury .

I think Edmunds will be great. He's had injuries this year, and the scheme hasn't really done anything for him. Next year i think this roster is going to show you what they can do, what they could have done if they were used properly.

Edwards is doing well, but his numbers will likely drop next year. He will still be a great player, but probably not lead the league again. This constant cover 2 does two things to boost his numbers; it funnels all the tackles to his WLB position, and since we cant get off the field on 3rd down, it gives him more plays to make tackles.

I think both those guys are very good.

I don't think they go back to a 3-4 with the talent they have on D at this time. It may be a little different but SLB and MLB always have high tackle totals. If there is new coaches it will be someone that can adapt this roster not redo the current construct in just2 years.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think they go back to a 3-4 with the talent they have on D at this time. It may be a little different but SLB and MLB always have high tackle totals. If there is new coaches it will be someone that can adapt this roster not redo the current construct in just2 years.

yes, but cover 2 specifically funnels all the tackles to the WLB spot. When you have a team that calls cover 2 as part of their defense, but not every play is cover 2, then the WLB totals will decrease. Also, if the defense can get off the field there will be fewer tackles to go around in general too, and that will be a GOOD thing.

And I didn't say anything about 3-4? There are all kinds of defenses you can run out of a 4-3 front, and we are in nickel most of the time anyway. But they still play cover 2, out of the 4-3 and nickel, most plays, and predictably. That's what will hopefully change with new coaches. This isn't the 1990s anymore.

Tony Dungy brought the cover 2 to prominence in the mid 90s in Tampa Bay. That defensive staff included Monte Kiffen, Rod Marinelli and Lovie Smith. Tony then went to Indianapolis and installed the cover 2 there. Eberflus was at the cowboys in the 2010s under Monte Kiffen, and helped install the cover 2 in Dallas, transitioning out of a 3-4. And Eberflus ended up in Indianapolis, because they were a cover 2 team and had been since Dungy was there.

You see these names over and over as related to the Cover 2; Dungy, Kiffen, Marinelli, Smith and Eberflus.

A few years ago, as the NFL had high powered offenses like the Rams routinely scoring 30+ points, Vic Fangio went back to the old(er) idea of having 2 safeties deep on more plays. That limited offenses abilities to make a lot of big plays. As a result, the copycat league saw a resurgence of cover 2 calls.

Everything in the NFL evolves quickly. Fads come and go. What works one season is already obsolete by the end of that season. You cannot base your defense on one concept and succeed for very long without adapting.

The truth is that there is no play call that is better or that always works. It'd be like saying "Rock is better than paper or scissors" Lets imagine that you have some statistical information that tells you that people pick scissors 40% of the time. Then, statistically, calling rock will be a winning move. BUT if your opponent scouts you and sees that you're calling rock all the time, expect a heavy dose of paper. If you dont make adjustments, you're gonna lose.

So there is no one play thats good on defense - you gotta mix it up. Create rhythms and expectations and then break them. Cover 2 is a great play and it should definitely be a part of your mix. But if you call it (or ANY defense) 85% of the time, you're gonna lose.

A lot of these coaches get stubborn - they have their way of doing things, and they dont adapt. And the coaches that do adapt beat them.

So you could see the Eberflus way, if he is given two more years, go to 9-8 and see a playoff game. If they execute on a high level, they might advance a round or two in the playoffs. But that way will never beat the top teams who adapt and do more than one thing.

We've seen it for so many years.

The best possible was the year Lovie snuck us into the Super Bowl, and there you saw how a real offense (Ironically head coach Dungy made the adjustments!) picked our cover 2 apart. We never had a chance in that Super Bowl, even with Hester spotting us a 7 point lead. No one but fans thought the Bears would win that game, and they didn't.

Contrast this with Belichick coached defenses that play all kinds of different styles year to year depending on who is on the roster. Watch how he plays divisional opponents twice a year and unveils a completely different game plan the second time they play that year.

That's coaching.